Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Cylinder 1 misfire - trouble idling

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 05:35 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

The harness can be released from their clips at the top of the transmission in three different places. Do that and the harness will drop down giving you all the length you need.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:11 PM
astolt12

Originally Posted by moosestang
I thought the 5.0 had wide band sensors? Can you not see the A/f on the dash? If not, get yourself an interceptor gauge!
It must be my gauge cluster...it is a 2011 "premium" but doesn't have that fancy dancy digital readout in the center like the new ones do...Just googled the interceptor gauge, that's pretty sweet...plugs right into to the OBD II port. Easier than running a line directly to the input. Once all the dust settles and the repair bill is sorted out I'll explore that.

Originally Posted by scottmach
The harness can be released from their clips at the top of the transmission in three different places. Do that and the harness will drop down giving you all the length you need.
When I had it on the lift today we looked up above the transmission with a mirror, but unless it was zip tied from when the other shop installed the headers we couldn't see anything that would allow not using the extension. I'll have to revisit that though because between your info and many other threads i've read they state it can be reached without the extension. When we removed the right side one there was probably an inch of slack still. It also stopped throwing the P0053 code. Now I'm just thinking this dead 02 sensor on bank 1 sensor 1 is causing everything. Thank you for that tip Scottmach.

Just looked around on google...are these replacement OEM sensors really $200!?
Old 06-02-2014, 01:04 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by astolt12
When I had it on the lift today we looked up above the transmission with a mirror, but unless it was zip tied from when the other shop installed the headers we couldn't see anything that would allow not using the extension. I'll have to revisit that though because between your info and many other threads i've read they state it can be reached without the extension. When we removed the right side one there was probably an inch of slack still. It also stopped throwing the P0053 code. Now I'm just thinking this dead 02 sensor on bank 1 sensor 1 is causing everything. Thank you for that tip Scottmach.

Just looked around on google...are these replacement OEM sensors really $200!?
You should be able to unhook the factory harness from a few locations and reach the LT headers. I know there's a writeup on this forum with pictures showing how to do so. Try a few searches and you'll find it.

If you're buying O2 sensors anyways and want to make things really easy on yourself, you can always buy O2 sensors for a Ford Raptor. They use the exact same O2 sensor buy come with an 18" harness plug. Buy two of those and you won't have to using O2 extensions or figure out how to untie the wiring harness.

Hope this helps!

Shane
Old 06-03-2014, 06:42 PM
astolt12

All,

Update...

It turned out as expected the front right number 1 sensor was at fault. Due to this the ECU couldn't get the A/F mixture right causing buildup in my engine. It has been an intermittent problem to me but i imagine a much larger for the car. So a combination of buildup, a failed sensor and that rainstorm I think put the final blow on her.

I still need to data log and put back on the 85mm but that'll be in time...right now I'm just glad it's working as it should. A lot smoother power and steady idle...

Thank you all for the help. Very much appreciated. Now onto BAMA.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:23 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by astolt12
All,

Update...

It turned out as expected the front right number 1 sensor was at fault. Due to this the ECU couldn't get the A/F mixture right causing buildup in my engine. It has been an intermittent problem to me but i imagine a much larger for the car. So a combination of buildup, a failed sensor and that rainstorm I think put the final blow on her.

I still need to data log and put back on the 85mm but that'll be in time...right now I'm just glad it's working as it should. A lot smoother power and steady idle...

Thank you all for the help. Very much appreciated. Now onto BAMA.
That's great news! Good to hear the car is up and running now.

Have you gotten a chance to contact the Bama Team yet? If not, don't hesitate to PM me your info. I'll get you in touch with our lead calibrator, whom I'm confident will have your throttle body tune straightened out.

Shane