Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Cylinder 1 misfire - trouble idling

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 08:16 AM
astolt12

Default Cylinder 1 misfire - trouble idling

Hey all,

I have 2011 5.0 that I had installed bbk long tubes, hi flow x pipe, 85mm throttle body and combined it with a bama tube, currently set at 87 street.

A few weeks ago I noticed the car would struggle when first started for the day and put into gear. The RPMs would drop below 600 idle and the car would shake a little but Once under a load or idling at a stoplight warm it went away.

Yesterday however while driving she started sputtering and shaking in the 1k - 2k rpm driving range. Checked my mirrors and no smoke was coming from behind and I pulled over. Sct tuner read cylinder 1 misfire detected, p0301. Finished out the work day and drove home with no issue.

I pulled the plugs for cylinder 1 and everything looked good. Electrode in tact, nice color...just some oil/gas on the threads. Checked number 2 for comparison, same thing. I plan to look at the other side, 5 and 6 today and run it in the dark to check for any arching.

When I installed the longtubes it threw an error code p0053 and p0132. They intermittently come and go, but more frequently than id like to see. Was told that they shouldn't do much as it's a direct tie to the LTs. The passenger side header does look a little more blue than it used to also...

Thoughts? Will try to upload a picture of the plugs.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:21 AM
astolt12

Left is #2 right is #1

Also, oil level in range after 6,000 full syn. Set to change that this weekend actually.
Attached Thumbnails Cylinder 1 misfire - trouble idling-image.jpg  
Old 05-29-2014, 11:09 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

astolt12,

How long have you been running these mods and tune before this issue started? I don't know for sure what's causing the misfire, but it could be from the LT headers, which should be able to be fixed within the tune.

Have you had a chance to contact the Bama Team yet? If not, PM me your First/Last name and Shipping Address. I'll get you in touch with our lead Bama calibrator and he'll work with you until you're squared away!

Of course if there's anything else I can do for you in the meantime, just let me know!

Shane
Old 05-29-2014, 11:56 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Plugs look good to me. That oil on the threads is probably from the factory.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:18 PM
astolt12

I'll send you a pm when I figure out how, lol. The mobile version must have some troubles.

Anyway, I've had the longtubes on the car for about 5 months. No problems. This issue manifested into a bigger issue after I installed the throttle body tune. I'm going to go back today and flash the ECU back to stock to see of the tune is causing this.

Regardless though, the other codes I would like to get fixed as they are annoying in the sense that everytime they flash I pull over and check. I have called bama about this bit nothing really came of it so kind of frustrating in that sense...

And glad to know that oil could have come from the factory. I'm looking at replacing the number 1 plug to see if anything happens as well but want to systematically rule these out.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:18 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by astolt12
I'll send you a pm when I figure out how, lol. The mobile version must have some troubles.

Anyway, I've had the longtubes on the car for about 5 months. No problems. This issue manifested into a bigger issue after I installed the throttle body tune. I'm going to go back today and flash the ECU back to stock to see of the tune is causing this.

Regardless though, the other codes I would like to get fixed as they are annoying in the sense that everytime they flash I pull over and check. I have called bama about this bit nothing really came of it so kind of frustrating in that sense...

And glad to know that oil could have come from the factory. I'm looking at replacing the number 1 plug to see if anything happens as well but want to systematically rule these out.
What do you mean by Throttle Body tune? Did you upgrade your Stock TB with a FRPP one or an off brand one? If you upgraded to an off brand, I would suspect that first above anything else. Most if not all aftermarket TB for our cars are problematic. Only the FRPP one and OEM ones have proven to be bullet proof. One of the few things Ford did really well.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:50 PM
astolt12

Derf,

By TB tune I mean the tune I uploaded into the ECU from bama after I installed my 85mm BBK TB. It included all my other bolt ons plus the TB. I can see how the wording looks like it was a sole tune for the TB my apologies!

I haven't heard/read anything bad about this TB for the coyote on this TB...but I may not have read the right places
Old 05-29-2014, 04:22 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

This is why you should stick with the stock throttle body for a car that just sees bolt ons. It's a waste of money with no gains and nothing but headaches.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:51 PM
astolt12

So a quick update...

Went out after work and swapped cylinder 1s COP with cylinder 2s COP...completely removed the BAMA tune and the car started right up, didnt skip, hesitate, or anything. Took it around the block and nothing popped up.

Come back to check my tail pipes (which i cleaned of black smoke earlier) and there was nothing on them.

Upon restart however, it did throw P0132 which I believe is due to the extensions on the long tube headers that dont need to be there from what im reading.

When I drive in tomorrow if I get a cylinder 2 misfire then I know it's the COP. Still, at the same regard I cant help but believe that I got a bad tune from Bama which is where Shane will come into play.

Everything i've read about the 85mm isnt that bad. I may now need to go look into the voltage its pulling and see if its getting the A/F mixture right. The throttle response is def better over stock.

Thoughts?

(Shane, I still havent figured out to use the dang PM system on this forum...maybe its my account privileges?)
Old 05-29-2014, 05:52 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

could be crank position sensor, my car had a misfire issue and the crank position sensor was the cause.

Quick Reply: Cylinder 1 misfire - trouble idling