Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

curious about these "platinum" services

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 01:13 AM
kevsgt
2nd Gear Member

Default curious about these "platinum" services

Got an email from the dealership for this "platinum" service package (see attached .gif) on my 2006 stang now that it hit 90k miles. My service adviser conceded that it was overkill and gave the car just a regular checkup (I take it every 5000 miles, for oil change and such). Just wondering if i should have any of these performed next time? some of them i'm not even sure what they are?

- reset oil life system?
- install BG MOA oil conditioner
- Lubricate chassis components (which ones?)
- apply silicone grease to weatherstripping
- install BG frigi fresh sanitizer
- Replace spark plugs (90k is about the right time for this?)
- check operation of automatic transmission shift lock control?
- inspect evaporative control system and purge valve (if equipped)??
Attached Thumbnails curious about these "platinum" services-platinum.gif  
Old 06-08-2014, 04:00 PM
sbradle4
2nd Gear Member

That sounds really high.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:37 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

There's a fool to be had somewhere. The only thing you need to do is your normal maintenance and if you desire, fluid changes. Fuel filter, too, if it's been over 30k-40k miles.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:41 PM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Does this include parts should they be needed AND the labor to install them?? I have a lot of concerning questions with what's offered and the price, especially if we're talking about the spark plugs potentially breaking. It's a HUGE rip off considering you can to do #3, #6 yourself if you have the correct tools and use of a lift, #1 doesn't apply to your model year and #2, #4, #5 are either not worth it, not necessary or DIY

#2, #7, #8 may require a mechanic to check properly
#6 can be tricky if you break a plug.

There's no reason why you can't get this done for close to $200

- reset oil life system? NOT WORTH IT (not worth it for ANY car...should be part of the oil change
- install BG MOA oil conditioner NOT WORTH IT
- Lubricate chassis components (which ones?) GOOD INVESTMENT
- apply silicone grease to weatherstripping NOT TOTALLY NECESSARY
- install BG frigi fresh sanitizer NOT WORTH IT
- Replace spark plugs (90k is about the right time for this?) GOOD INVESTMENT
- check operation of automatic transmission shift lock control? GOOD INVESTMENT
- inspect evaporative control system and purge valve (if equipped)?? GOOD INVESTMENT
Old 06-09-2014, 10:14 AM
kevsgt
2nd Gear Member

please explain what you mean by #1 is not applicable.

what chassis components are we talking about lubricating? The bushings in the control arms? Anything else?

What weatherstripping are we talking about? between the side door windows and the roof? Are there others? Would they take the whole piece out and lather it with grease, wipe it dry and then reinstall?

Probably too complicated to describe in a couple sentences, but what is the shift lock control.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:31 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

curious about these "platinum" services
they're very good.

At making the dealer money, that is. Do what your owner's manual says to, and when it says to do it. Nothing more. Your oil and coolant don't need "conditioner," most of the other stuff you can do yourself if needed for like $10 out of pocket. And some of it is absolute LOL. How are they going to "inspect evap canister and purge valve?" If your check engine light isn't on or you don't have evap fault DTCs, it's working fine. And "check starter switch operation?" Uh, does the car start? If so, it's working fine!

That thing is a prime example of a rip-off. Something like that would make me stop going to that dealer for anything at all.

Last edited by jz78817; 06-09-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:35 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kevsgt

what chassis components are we talking about lubricating? The bushings in the control arms? Anything else?
Usually the only lubricate-able chassis components are the ball joints and outer tie rods, but even then not always. And if they do need it, it's usually done as part of a routine oil change. control arm bushings are pretty tightly clamped in their mounts and usually have no provisions for being lubricated after the fact. Simply spraying white litho grease at them (which is probably what they do, if anything at all) isn't going to do anything worthwhile.

What weatherstripping are we talking about? between the side door windows and the roof? Are there others? Would they take the whole piece out and lather it with grease, wipe it dry and then reinstall?
LOL probably not. Most likely some kid will take 5 seconds to wipe them with an Armor-All soaked rag.

Probably too complicated to describe in a couple sentences, but what is the shift lock control.
it's the thing that makes you step on the brake before you can shift out of Park. It doesn't need inspection. If you can shift out of park, it's working. And there's nothing they can see by "inspecting" it that would indicate it's about to fail. Though I'm sure they'll see a "problem" with it and recommend you have them replace it (at an additional charge, of course.)
Old 06-10-2014, 05:57 AM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kevsgt
With the 2011+ models, Ford included what we will call an "Oil Dummy Light". I believe it's something thats on all of their cars now. It's set for 100% and chimes when it's time to change the oil (i think it's set for 10,000 miles).

You reset it by cycling thru the reset options on the dash. By them putting it on the paper they are making it seem like it's "something special" that needs taken care of, when in reality...they should be resetting it as part of the oil change. As this was a feature of 2011+ models, you do not have this feature built into your car and/or instrument panel/info
Old 06-10-2014, 08:49 AM
kevsgt
2nd Gear Member

thanks! while i'm sure most of you are biased against the stealership, this is informative and helpful.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:26 AM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

I've said it many times, but I will only go to the dealer for two things, period.

1. Warranty repair (free)
2. For OEM parts, if needed

I will never use the dealer for servicing my car. And, this "special" is a prime example of why. It's an obvious attempt to get you in the service department so they can try to sell you on stuff you don't really need or you could DIY way cheaper. If you aren't comfortable with DIY, just find a local mechanic that operates on his reputation, not on marketing gimmicks.

Quick Reply: curious about these "platinum" services