Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

How to check what the previous owner has done

Old 06-08-2014, 10:56 AM
e.dishong2

Default How to check what the previous owner has done

Hey guys, new member here, my baby girl is a 2006 mustang GT. It is my first Mustang I got it used a couple months ago. Im trying to figure out what the owner before me has done as far as performance upgrades. I can tell he put a exhaust on her, but there is no markings on it to tell me what type it is, anyone know how I can tell what type it is? also I believe my rear is not factory, my rpms seem a little higher then what I would think would come from the factory. SO basically what should I check and look over to tell if anything else has been done? It also has the hurst short shift. Thanks for any help!
Old 06-08-2014, 12:04 PM
Ford-a-tude
2nd Gear Member

I would find a local Mustang club and attend a meet up. I'm sure the other stang bangers would be glad to examine your new ride. You may get lucky and someone may know the car already.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:33 PM
e.dishong2

I haven't been able to find one, maybe im not looking in the right places. There is a *** pile of mustangs running around down here, I would think there is one local
Old 06-08-2014, 03:38 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Take a picture and post it. Someone here can tell you. Take some pics of the suspension and engine bay too.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:00 PM
BlindGUYnAR
2nd Gear Member

To find out rear end gearing count turns of the drive shaft vs. turns of rear wheels. Jack up rear, put in neutral, and spin one wheel by hand. Might need to block other wheel to stop it from moving.

3.5 turns of DS per 1 turn of the wheel = 3.55, 3.75 turns = 3.73, 4 = 4.10, etc.

Mark the DS and wheel with a line to make counting easier. Then decode door tag to see if they match. Stock manual in 06 should be 3.55 I believe.

Last edited by BlindGUYnAR; 06-08-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:47 AM
johnny_raincloud
2nd Gear Member

The door tag will be marked by 2 letters which will tell you what the original gears were.

CG = 3.31
CD = 3.55

Best bet would be to follow the advice above and count the drive shaft turns. If there is a variance, you want to get that looked at and have the speedo corrected for the right gears. Otherwise, you will essentially be putting miles on the car that you didn't actually drive due to the discrepancy.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:33 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Pics of all the major component areas of the car and you'll get your answers here.... Front wheel well (Strut assembly) Front under carriage (sway bars, radiator supports etc), Driveshaft, Rear end assembly (bottom and side view for ease), motor picture, exhaust from headers to mid pipe to axlebacks, pull up the shift boot (if its Manual) and a pic of the shifter as well... Plus an overall pic of the car for exterior cosmetic... or just general principle

Welcome to the club Be warned... modding is a disease and it never stops! Ask my future wife
Old 06-10-2014, 08:00 AM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by johnny_raincloud
The door tag will be marked by 2 letters which will tell you what the original gears were.

CG = 3.31
CD = 3.55

Best bet would be to follow the advice above and count the drive shaft turns. If there is a variance, you want to get that looked at and have the speedo corrected for the right gears. Otherwise, you will essentially be putting miles on the car that you didn't actually drive due to the discrepancy.
Aside from the door tag, if I am not mistaken isnt 4th gear 1:1? If so, at 70mph you should get a close reading of your rear end gears on your tach.

Back when I had my 84 Monte Carlo SS (3 speed auto) I would run approx 3420 rpm at 70mph and I had a 3.42 rear end.

So, if this holds true, and you set aside some variance for tire size, then if the previous owner put 4.10's in for example, it should show on the tach.

Unless I'm sniffing glue and am way off on my facts, but I'm pretty sure I'm right.