Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

cam upgrade opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 08:51 AM
Vista Blue Boo

Default cam upgrade opinions

I am about a month away from a cam upgrade on an 06 GT, I am leaning towards brenspeed Detroit rockers(made by comp cams). They say the deliverability is much better. I do like the old school sound of the hot rod cams, but don't want to have deliverability issues as its a daily driver. I know there have to be a lot of varying opinions out there.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:08 AM
johnny_raincloud
2nd Gear Member

What are your current mods?

Cams should always be the last thing you do...
Old 06-10-2014, 01:06 PM
Vista Blue Boo

3.73 gears, Jlt cold air intake, bama tune, long tube headers, o/r h pipe. Down the road when I save the money, a twin screw is in the cards. Brenspeed advises they make two grinds, one being for supercharged. I really love the old school sound of a big cam, but like I said I have to drive it to work. The, Boo
Old 06-10-2014, 01:33 PM
johnny_raincloud
2nd Gear Member

If you plan on adding a TS Blower from Kenne Bell, or whomever you choose, it would be best for you to hold off on the cams. This way, you can go with a better blower grind cam and maximize the full potential of the cams and the blower together.

Remember, you want to utilize the cams to fine tune your setup.
I would do the blower, then add cams, and tune afterward.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:07 PM
AMAlexLazarus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Vista Blue Boo
I am about a month away from a cam upgrade on an 06 GT, I am leaning towards brenspeed Detroit rockers(made by comp cams). They say the deliverability is much better. I do like the old school sound of the hot rod cams, but don't want to have deliverability issues as its a daily driver. I know there have to be a lot of varying opinions out there.
Vista Blue Boo-

That's a good one and I would recommend Ford Racing's Hot Rod Cams but johnny_raincloud is onto something here-If you're seeing yourself go under pressure in the future a set of blower cams would be that much better suited for the application. One of the great things about this set of Hot Rod cams is that you're not going to need any other corresponding mods.

Given the bolts-on's already on your car you're going to be in great shape to have a sizable bump in horsepower, torque, as well as that stereotypical deep lopey idle..

Let me know if you're to have any questions and I'm here to help,

-Alex
Old 06-10-2014, 05:43 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

I've heard good things on both cams. And with the mods you have now cams would compliment well. However if your planning in FI within the year. I would do them both at the same install. Save some time and money this way.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:13 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

If you do plan on doing a blower you could just go with blower cams now so its ready when you supercharge it.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:00 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Blower cams will give you that nice lopey idle, but really kick in nicely with forced induction, and even naturally aspirated, just maybe not as much. DO IT ONCE, and be done with them!
Old 06-12-2014, 11:32 AM
johnny_raincloud
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx_zstang
Blower cams will give you that nice lopey idle, but really kick in nicely with forced induction, and even naturally aspirated, just maybe not as much. DO IT ONCE, and be done with them!
Mike,
Which cams are you running with your KB?
Old 06-12-2014, 06:58 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Installed Hotrods in my car three weeks ago and can verify there are zero drivability issues. It drives exactly as it did before the cams, with the only difference is the sick idle and a better top end pull. Maybe there was a small loss of tq but not enough to notice with 4.10 gears.

I would check first with a tuner before installing blower cams on a N/A car. Comp cams will highly suggest you install phaser limiters which add $200+ to the cost, the FRPP cams work perfect without them.

FYI the install is extremely easy and took me 4 hrs total. Headers were far more challenging. So if you go boosted later, you can always swap them out to blower cams in an afternoon.

Quick Reply: cam upgrade opinions