Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

#8 plug wasn't sealing

Old 06-29-2014, 05:36 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
Weird...Probably coming from a head gasket or something. I would let it go until problems get worse. It could be just fine for a long time.
I googled it and found quite a few people with similar problems. One was a ferrari and the guy used some type of stop leak and fixed it. His was worse than mine. another was a VW and his was filling up fast. It's either a hair line crack in the head or if these heads have steel sleeves for the spark plug tubes, there could be a water jacket right behind them and it's leaking from there. I'm going to try a few things and keep a close eye on my oil.

Here's the Ferrari guy.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/tec...-plug-ope.html
Old 06-30-2014, 11:47 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Well, why not? Give it a shot!
Old 06-30-2014, 01:26 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
Well, why not? Give it a shot!
If it's good enough for a Ferrari.......

I put some K-seal in it today. It got pretty decent reviews on amazon. Looks like water with tiny, tiny, tiny particles of copper in it. Ran great to and from work, never overheated. Once it cools off I'll pull that cop again.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:37 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Pulled the cop and barely any moisture! It was so little that i would have considered it condensation. Now some of it the other day could have been condensation, but there was definitely coolant in there and it didn't rain the day before.

I started looking more closely at the spark plug wells and there is a metal sleeve and it doesn't go all the way to the bottom either. I wonder if the water jacket is right behind that metal sleeve? Anyone have a 3d rendering of the 3v heads or a spare one you could cut in half? if there's a crack in the head right by the spark plug, i can't see it. I will go ahead the change the plugs and use my boroscope to get a better look.

I looked in the cylinder initially with the scope, but didn't see any liquid. There was some carbon missing from around the edge of the piston, but they could be from the redline fuel treatment I just did last week. Still had plenty of carbon on the piston top though.

Stay tuned as I continue to watch that cylinder and update this thread. If K-seal can seal a crack in a boosted 3v head, then it can seal anything.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:42 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I found a cutaway of the head! http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/p.../?product=484#

it appears that coolant flows all the way around the plug seat and oil around the tube. So you can get a crack in the head at the plug seat that would fill up the well.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:09 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Sounds like positive news thus far.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:01 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Is K-Seal a similar product to Aluma-Seal? I have used that product years ago and it pretty well performed miracles

Another great product is Bars Leaks. Years ago I read that every Cadillac that came off the line had a bottle of Bars Leaks in it , "just in case".
Old 07-04-2014, 09:36 AM
Phil1098

Originally Posted by Goldenpony
The reason Ford recommends not to use the anti sieze is that if the plug gets stuck and you have to use a penetrant to loosen the carbon build up, the anti sieze can keep it from getting past the threads to the carbon.
If you do use something, you should reduce the torque some because it acts as a lubricant and you can get too much torque on the threads.
That makes sense about penetrant, but I have used anti-seize on plug threads going into aluminum for 35 years. After seeing galled plugs and the threads just pealing out of a head, I will take my chances. I would MUCH rather extract a plug base than to cut new threads into a head. I put a small amount on my new plugs (threads too) and once a year I'll just take them out, clean and replace. No more than a 30 minute job and it's easy to do. I have always used factory torque spec as I don't put anti-seize on the seats. Have never stripped a head, had a plug blow out, or come loose.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:58 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Goldenpony
Is K-Seal a similar product to Aluma-Seal? I have used that product years ago and it pretty well performed miracles

Another great product is Bars Leaks. Years ago I read that every Cadillac that came off the line had a bottle of Bars Leaks in it , "just in case".
I read that about some other cars too! They call it coolant system conditioner, lol!

It's probably similar to both those products. it's good for small leaks, which mine was, but not going to work well if your coolant overflow is empty after a few days/weeks. K-seal doesn't require you to flush the system, so you just leave it in there. It's less than 8oz I think, looks like a big bottle on amazon.

Still no coolant leak, I went ahead and changed the plugs. Cars running very well.