Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 06-14-2014, 12:37 PM   #1
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 mustang gt
Default #8 plug wasn't sealing

Anyone have problems with a plug not sealing? I thought I might have been down on power when I went to the track a few weeks ago, so decided to pull the plugs. #8 coil boot had that rust colored powder all over it. The plug felt tight when removing it, but it was clear that I was loosing compression past the plug.

Click the image to open in full size.

I stuck my camera down the hole to get a better look.

I just replaced these plugs less than 8 months ago. I took one of my old plugs and tightened/loosened it a couple of times and then gave it a few foot lbs more torque. Not sure how to clean the seat.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

whipple HO SC,FRPP k springs, Pypes mid mufflers, hurst, frpp TB, 4.10's, spohn lca's, adj. UCA, relo brackets, 1 piece DS, spec stg 3+ clutch. 12.52@117.6mph so far with a 2.01 60 ft time

Pumpkin jacking addict
moosestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:28 PM   #2
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I can't even find a chaser to fit this stupid thing! I was hoping there was a thread chaser that would also clean up the seat.

whipple HO SC,FRPP k springs, Pypes mid mufflers, hurst, frpp TB, 4.10's, spohn lca's, adj. UCA, relo brackets, 1 piece DS, spec stg 3+ clutch. 12.52@117.6mph so far with a 2.01 60 ft time

Pumpkin jacking addict
Old 06-15-2014, 03:16 PM   #3
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT

Only reason that would happen is if water got to the threads from above or below.

How about a wire brush that size? Put some type of penetrating oil with the plug mostly in and let it seep. Brush a little bit and then call it good.

I would concerned with debris getting into the cylinder, but, I guess the worse piece that could get in there would be pieces of the metal brush. Maybe use plastic instead.

Try putting some anti sieze on it?

Motor Built by ST Motorsports
Tuned By Tony at Tuners Inc

11.05@129
Simon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:21 PM   #4
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon1 View Post
Only reason that would happen is if water got to the threads from above or below.

How about a wire brush that size? Put some type of penetrating oil with the plug mostly in and let it seep. Brush a little bit and then call it good.

I would concerned with debris getting into the cylinder, but, I guess the worse piece that could get in there would be pieces of the metal brush. Maybe use plastic instead.

Try putting some anti sieze on it?
I thought about the anti seize. it should act as a mild abrasive.

Pumpkin jacking addict
Old 06-15-2014, 07:15 PM   #5
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I think I'd try a bit of Scotch Brite on the end of a dowl of some kind. I'd also keep looking for some kind of tap or thread chaser to run down the threads. Ford recommends NOT using antisieze on plug threads. Good luck Buddy.
18" "Fanblade Wheels"
CORSA Performance exhaust
Brenspeed 87 octane performance tune
MGW Shifter
Goldenpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:41 PM   #6
tw1234

Vehicle: 05 Ford Mustang GT

http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/in...mdf/R-I6424997

When I did the plugs in my F150 I used a BBQ venture brush to clean the threads of the head.

I just sprayed some carb cleaner on the bristles and spun it into the threads until they were clean. A slight rinse with CRC QD into each hole and installed new plugs, no anti-seize and torqued to spec. I didn't worry about a little dusty dirt falling in the cylinder as I had used compressed air to clean the plug wells just before removing the plugs on their last thread turn out.

For safety: Test the brush before using it for sturdiness and possible bristle break down due to the chemical your using before inserting into the cylinder threads. You don't want to loose part of it into the cylinder.

Last edited by tw1234; 06-15-2014 at 11:45 PM. Reason: more info
tw1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:38 AM   #7
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Another thing that might work is a brass bristle gun brush. Look at different caliber brushes and use one that seems about right.
18" "Fanblade Wheels"
CORSA Performance exhaust
Brenspeed 87 octane performance tune
MGW Shifter
Goldenpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:18 PM   #8
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw1234 View Post
http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/in...mdf/R-I6424997

When I did the plugs in my F150 I used a BBQ venture brush to clean the threads of the head.

I just sprayed some carb cleaner on the bristles and spun it into the threads until they were clean. A slight rinse with CRC QD into each hole and installed new plugs, no anti-seize and torqued to spec. I didn't worry about a little dusty dirt falling in the cylinder as I had used compressed air to clean the plug wells just before removing the plugs on their last thread turn out.

For safety: Test the brush before using it for sturdiness and possible bristle break down due to the chemical your using before inserting into the cylinder threads. You don't want to loose part of it into the cylinder.
That looks interesting. I might have to stop by lowes. I think a piece of sand or carbon off the previous plugs got jambed between the plug and seat causing it to sit a little cockeyed. No matter how much i blow out the holes, some **** always stays in there. I even turn the plugs out a few turns and blow the holes again. Living on a dirt road, there was always sand in my spark plug wells.

As soon as the motor cools off, i'm going to pull the cop and see if that blown-rust colored dust is all over the place again.

Pumpkin jacking addict
Old 06-16-2014, 07:10 PM   #9
moosestang
6th Gear Member

plug boot looked good today, must have been a fluke. I'm assuming it's been leaking compression since the last plug change.

Pumpkin jacking addict
Old 06-16-2014, 07:51 PM   #10
Chromeshadow
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 Mustang Premium 3.7 6 Speed Manual

An old trick to chase threads is to cut a vertical line in a bolt with a hacksaw in a couple of places. Not sure if you can do something similar with a spark plug itself.
Nitto 255/45ZR18 Tires
H&R Sport Front and Rear Sway Bar
J&M lower control arms
TMI adjustable tilt headrests
Gaslock LED Shift Knob
Shelby door subs
Sony 200W amp

2009 Solstice GXP Turbo
2013 F150 XLT 4X4
Chromeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:51 PM
MustangForums