Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

door vinyl help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 10:00 AM
chwithad
1st Gear Member

Default door vinyl help!!!

First of all, I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this. I didn't post it under appearance because this issue is strictly regarding the S197 body. I am well aware of the vinyl coming off the doors and I had made several repairs myself, but they only lasted a few days. I read on some forum (I don't think it was this one) that you have to completely cut/rip out all the padding behind the door until you reach hard plastic. That's what I did because the vinyl would only stay glued to the padding temporarily. My MAJOR problem now is that because there is no padding under the vinyl, there is less surface space, resulting in the vinyl now being too large for the door. I am by no means an upholstry guy, so any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
Old 06-18-2014, 10:12 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Local shop did both of mine for $100.00.

He said that once it has been attempted a couple of times, the material seems to stretch some and makes it harder to rework. Any extra just gets tucked in the groove around the edge. Also, some remove the material completely which makes it hard to get it back into the proper position.

I did my daughters car before mine and it lasted about a year. The same shop redid it and said I did not get it clean enough. I will always send them to a shop now....plus he guarantees them for as long as I own the car.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:30 AM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by chwithad
First of all, I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this. I didn't post it under appearance because this issue is strictly regarding the S197 body. I am well aware of the vinyl coming off the doors and I had made several repairs myself, but they only lasted a few days. I read on some forum (I don't think it was this one) that you have to completely cut/rip out all the padding behind the door until you reach hard plastic. That's what I did because the vinyl would only stay glued to the padding temporarily. My MAJOR problem now is that because there is no padding under the vinyl, there is less surface space, resulting in the vinyl now being too large for the door. I am by no means an upholstry guy, so any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
You want to remove the foam glue, not the carpet backing.

Here is the thread for how to do it:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...gging-fix.html

And here is what it should look like with the foam glue removed but the carpet backing still there.

Name:  DSC02909.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  86.8 KB

If you took this carpet backing off you messed up.

I took mine to a local upholstery shop and had them replace the vinyl with suede for $100 a door. Well worth it IMO.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:08 AM
chwithad
1st Gear Member

I know I F*d up by completely removing all the carpet but now it's too late. Anyone know of any website/vendor who sells replacement door padding and vinyl? Thanks for everyones help.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:39 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chwithad
I know I F*d up by completely removing all the carpet but now it's too late. Anyone know of any website/vendor who sells replacement door padding and vinyl? Thanks for everyones help.
you can buy padding and cut it yourself. I don't know how thick the carpet backing was, but I'd try some 1/4 inch foam like this.

http://www.yourautotrim.com/1thscfo1.html

I used something similar to make designs on my headliner in another vehicle.

The ford logo I bought made out of the same foam. I cut the tribal designs out myself. glued it all to the stock headliner using 3m spray adhesive. That's tweed covering it, you could always go old school and cover the doors with tweed.