Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2011 GT manual trans gear whining problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 10:51 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

OP, you have an aftermarket shifter. I have a '12 GT with MT-82, and I changed the shifter from OEM to aftermarket. After the swap I have the exact 'whine' that you are talking about. I did not have it before the swap.

So you are right, it is the transmission, but I don't think you have a problem. Aftermarket shifters are made from harder materials and bushings. They transfer a lot more noise into the cabin. Get yourself an OEM shifter and put it in the car. I'd be willing to bet that the noise goes away. That should be the first thing that a dealership does also before they tear into your trans. Why has no one suggested this yet?
Old 09-25-2014, 07:12 AM
om3n

Ok, so here is what's going on.

My appointment was for the 22nd, so I dropped the mustang off on Sunday night and got a call early on the 22nd. They drove the car, called me back and told me that they would take a look at it and repair it under warranty (), and that everything should be covered minus the clutch if it needed to be repaired.

They have now had the car for a few days and have been calling me giving me updates.

They just gave me a call and told me that they have the trans pulled and needed some special tools that they don't currently have to tear it all the way down, so they will have to go to another dealership to pick up those tools, which will cause delays. I'm totally ok with this, I'm not in a rush.

So far I've been having a fantastic experience with these guys, and I will continue to update this thread.

Also, do you guys think I should request that they replace the clutch lining while they have the trans pulled? Is there anything else I should potentially request they do while the trans is out?

Last edited by om3n; 09-25-2014 at 07:16 AM.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:03 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by om3n
Ok, so here is what's going on.

My appointment was for the 22nd, so I dropped the mustang off on Sunday night and got a call early on the 22nd. They drove the car, called me back and told me that they would take a look at it and repair it under warranty (), and that everything should be covered minus the clutch if it needed to be repaired.

They have now had the car for a few days and have been calling me giving me updates.

They just gave me a call and told me that they have the trans pulled and needed some special tools that they don't currently have to tear it all the way down, so they will have to go to another dealership to pick up those tools, which will cause delays. I'm totally ok with this, I'm not in a rush.

So far I've been having a fantastic experience with these guys, and I will continue to update this thread.
Great, om3n! Thank you for the update.

Deysha
Old 09-25-2014, 10:40 AM
Genxer
1st Gear Member

If you have lot of miles / hard use it would be economical in the long run to put in a new clutch. See what they find out in regard to wear when it's torn down. Maybe it's fine.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:41 AM
om3n

Originally Posted by Genxer
If you have lot of miles / hard use it would be economical in the long run to put in a new clutch. See what they find out in regard to wear when it's torn down. Maybe it's fine.
They are definitely replacing a bunch of stuff, and the root cause of the whining was a bad input shaft bearing. This is exactly what other guys have experienced with the same issue and many of the same parts replaced, so if someone has a MT82 that whines like this I would highly suggest getting it looked at.

Among the things they are replacing:
  • Input shaft
  • Input shaft bearing
  • fifth gear assembly

and he listed several other bearings and seals.

I am going to have him replace the rear main seal and the entire clutch assembly too, if it doesn't cost too much (even though he told me the clutch looks fine). He is currently preparing a quote for me on those.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:52 AM
om3n

Originally Posted by FordService
Great, om3n! Thank you for the update.

Deysha
Thank you Deysha! It's cool that a Ford Service rep is keeping up on this thread.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:08 AM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

I think it will probably come back again if you drive it hard. but let us know how it goes.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:24 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

mine lit up early in life, 1 owner car, no provocations. I told them it was input shaft or countershaft bearing failure, leading to slight misalignment of the shafts and noise. The teardown proved this right, it was the former and it took out a bunch of stuff downstream, like the 5th gear cluster, the tailshaft housing and every other bearing and seal. Since Ford did a do-over on the trans, it has been fine since, 2 years and counting. It isn't assembly issues, it is QC on outsourced small internal parts like bearings that is the problem, in my view.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:43 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by om3n
Thank you Deysha! It's cool that a Ford Service rep is keeping up on this thread.
You’re very welcome, om3n! I’m here to help where I can.

Deysha
Old 09-30-2014, 07:28 AM
om3n

It's going to be a bit pricey but while they have the trans pulled I'm just going to have them replace the clutch. And apparently because it's an updated clutch it needs a new flywheel as well, which is kind of a bummer, but I will be kicking myself if I don't replace them I have no doubt. In total, with the rear main seal, that's going to be around ~$760.

I'm also keeping the old clutch and flywheel just in case.

Quick Reply: 2011 GT manual trans gear whining problems