Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Longtubes plus stock muffler choke HP?

Old 06-26-2014, 12:40 PM
deltafool117
1st Gear Member

Default Longtubes plus stock muffler choke HP?

So I just had JBA Longtube's put on with JBA catted H pipe. Now before those I had Bassani Axleback Exhaust which is a resonated straight pipe and while I loved the sound, it was very loud and had an awful highway drone.

So when I did the Longtubes I had them put the stock exhaust back on. My question is, is the stock exhaust choking off horsepower gains from the long tubes.

And if it is choking off horsepower does anyone have any suggestions for keeping the drone down but not robbing horsepower? Because while I love the new sound the Headers give my engine, I mostly did the headers for horsepower and I want to know if I'm killing the horsepower.

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2014, 06:07 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

I've heard lots of people run the stock mufflers after headers, and they actually flow pretty well. Everyone says you don't gain much besides sound when switching axle backs.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:24 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Ford actually did something right with the stock axlebacks. They flow about as well as any other.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:17 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

The stock manual trans mufflers flow very well. I have longtubes and O/R pipe with Basanni Race and it is loud and I am considering going to GT500 take offs. Drone isn't horrible, not like the Boomtubes. However, to people I pass (especially on a cooler air day) the car sounds great. If you've still got cats, mufflers aren't the restriction point but honesty, not much of a gain with a bigger muffler or catless for an NA car.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:44 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I've considered trying off road H pipe with mid mufflers (pypes m80's) and stock mufflers. I'd like to get rid of the cats and gain some power, but super loud exhaust is not my cup of tea. I've not been able to find any videos of such a setup.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:48 PM
02GTowner
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JCON
The stock manual trans mufflers flow very well. I have longtubes and O/R pipe with Basanni Race and it is loud and I am considering going to GT500 take offs. Drone isn't horrible, not like the Boomtubes. However, to people I pass (especially on a cooler air day) the car sounds great. If you've still got cats, mufflers aren't the restriction point but honesty, not much of a gain with a bigger muffler or catless for an NA car.
I have no drone with my Boom Tubes. I am running stock cats with FRPP X pipe and the MAC Boom Tubes. Only time I have heard of anyone having drone with Boom Tubes is when they go no cats, headers or a combo of both.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:10 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Almost no power gains from replacing mufflers, they don't kill much HP with 8" exhaust pipe.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:34 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I have tried the stock mufflers with cams and LTs....I hated it. Felt like it neutered my car. The tone was all gone except at WOT. Power was not effected. Add some mid mounted resonators if you dont like your current tone. It does wonders for 3v with LTs and offroad midpipes. I run MSRP midmounted and love the tone with my Borla S types in back.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:16 PM
jimkr
1st Gear Member

I'm running long tubes and a high flow catted xpipe. Personally, I love the tone of the car with this setup. I can't compare aftermarket mufflers to what I'm running now, but the car has picked up quite a bit of "pep", and it's nice and quiet while cruising. But give it a little throttle, and you carn really tell it's not stock exhaust. And as has been stated before, I don't think you gain much by swapping the stocks out.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:26 PM
deltafool117
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys, I ended up switching the stock mufflers out back to the Bassani exhaust and as expected now I did not feel any gains. It really roars again though and some combination of the high flow cats or headers eliminated the drone!! I mean its still fairly loud but there is no reverb drone 65-70 mph anymore!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Longtubes plus stock muffler choke HP?