Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Hell! Hail!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 03:04 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Default Hell! Hail!

Heading back from Beaufort NC had the misfortune to meet hail. I'm not a hail expert, the only hail I think I ever saw was green pea size, this stuff was similar to a golf ball, but not round and spherical.

I bailed on the road, into someone's driveway, under a tree, which the body shop said may have been beneficial.

The roof escaped injury. There may be a very small dent in the trunk's lid. However the hood has quite a few indentations that are not extremely noticeable, but, at the right angle they can be seen.

My question is that the body shop fellow says he's seen small hail dents go away when the hot sun heated up the metal body panels. He's not really sure on the fiberglass Mustang hood one way or the other. He mentioned having seen miracles done by those guys that don't do "body work" but massage the dents out. But, not sue about fiberglass hoods.

Anyone have personal experience on our fiberglass hoods and hail?

TIA
Old 07-29-2014, 03:15 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Fiberglass? Are you talking about an aftermarket hood?

Factory is aluminum.

About 2-3 months after I got my car, we had a hailstorm with the worst hail I've ever seen in this area, came out of nowhere and I had to stand on the porch and watch the nickel and quarter sized hail bounce off my car.

Crazy thing is, I checked the car all over and there was no damage on it anywhere, not even on the hood. I must have dodged a bullet on that one.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:34 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ghunt
Fiberglass? Are you talking about an aftermarket hood?

Factory is aluminum.

About 2-3 months after I got my car, we had a hailstorm with the worst hail I've ever seen in this area, came out of nowhere and I had to stand on the porch and watch the nickel and quarter sized hail bounce off my car.

Crazy thing is, I checked the car all over and there was no damage on it anywhere, not even on the hood. I must have dodged a bullet on that one.
You may be correct, but I've a nagging feeling and remembrance that the hood is not of the metal family. And when I visited the body shop and we discussed the hood, we discussed as fiberglass. When I shut my hood, certainly does not sound like aluminum. Not to mention, I was in the car, and I could hear the damned hail pounding on my roof, and the hood was quiet as it could be, granted the roof was ringing my ears and the hood may not have been complaining enough.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:25 AM
hootie_john
2nd Gear Member

Factory hood is aluminum. Maybe you have an aftermarket hood.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:39 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hootie_john
Factory hood is aluminum. Maybe you have an aftermarket hood.
No, don't have an aftermarket hood. I just don't think it feels like aluminum. Going to find out, tomorrow, i think for sure.

I live in a small town in East NC so last night i searched for those people that fix hail damage by massaging them from underneath without harming the paint. I found www.nationaldentworks.com and they already had a guy on the way out here to set up to fix cars such as mine. Reckon he'll be able to tell me weather I'm a nut or not.

I GIVE UP! I just went out and looked at it, it must be aluminum! Good thing is that looking at the hood from underside is giving me very positive thoughts that dent guy will be able to make my hood 100% pretty with minimal effort, and my insurance company already said i have a zero deductible on the fix.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:29 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

I have never seen fiberglass dented....

Those dent removing companies are great. Try to find someone who can recommend one they have used.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:57 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

See how much the insurance company will give you. Then see if there's an aftermarket hood you like and if the cost of installation/ paint is roughly equivalent to the payout plus modding funds available.

When things break, buy better ones. On my 09 the hood was one of the only cosmetic things I changed.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:35 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Had my appraisal yesterday by http://nationaldentworks.com/ at $1,500 which will go up a little by Insurance people for R&R of internal parts to get at dents from inside. They found more dents than I could see. They said being under that tree was a smooth move. They appraised another car that I know of for $9,573 and the dent fixers are going to be in my area for two months or more.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:12 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by algregory
Had my appraisal yesterday by http://nationaldentworks.com/ at $1,500 which will go up a little by Insurance people for R&R of internal parts to get at dents from inside. They found more dents than I could see. They said being under that tree was a smooth move. They appraised another car that I know of for $9,573 and the dent fixers are going to be in my area for two months or more.
PDR is not cheap!
Old 08-05-2014, 07:23 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

I got the car repaired yesterday for $1,733, there was more than just the hood to be done. It looks terrific. There does appear to be a little, very minor, marring from the work on the hood, lightly, in the paint, can't complain. By "marring" I mean that they must use some type of tool on the paint side while they are massaging from the underside, as for the "dents" they are GONE! Just wiped it down with detailer products including Eagle One "Spray Nano Wax" and it looks better. I have Griot's Garage buffers and wax/cleaner products, I'm considering going over the hood with the mildest treatment I have. I have little fear that the hood will look any less that perfect when done. However at 67 years of age, and with bad feet, I don't just JUMP IN to those things/projects anymore. :-(

Last edited by algregory; 08-05-2014 at 07:27 AM. Reason: defined "marring"

Quick Reply: Hell! Hail!