Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Living with an S197? What's it really like?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 11:44 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The rear seat isn't comfortable for any one of my 4 dogs. I know that i'm cramped in the back seat and I'm only 5' 8". Other than being a cop magnet, the S197 is super fun (if it's a V8).
Old 07-31-2014, 11:55 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

was out today in ours in town
EVERYWHERE we go people stop me and say wow nice car mr...
i heard 3 small kids say to their dad..wow dad look at that mustang..i called em over and said come sit in it...
in europe they are a very very special car for sure.
we took it for it's yearly inspection today..some ole fella said that car must have cost you 100k lol...
for the money it costs it's an amazing buy..plus they really hold their value well..in fact depretiation here in sweden is almost nothing.
probably the same in oz land..
Old 07-31-2014, 11:56 AM
sbradle4
2nd Gear Member

I'm 6'-3" (all legs). I have to have the seat all the way back, so there is about an inch of clearance from the back of my seat to the front of the rear seat. No one is gonna fit behind me. (luckily I have long arms too, if I had t-rex arms, I wouldn't be able to reach the steering wheel). However, for me, it is comfortable. And there are anchor points in the rear.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:23 PM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy
Could you clarify the difference between Rudolf's comments about space in the rear seat and yours? What is the problem with the space with 4 adults in the car?
Your question was about American adults. So, that is what I based my answer on. I would not want to sit back there for any length of time. Can you do it ... yes. Is it comfortable ... no. I am 5'-11' and when my driver seat it where I want it to be, it is only about 3 inches from the back seat. Putting a couple kids back there would be reasonable. But, no adult will want to be there for long and the driver will have to move forward to the point I would consider it uncomfortable operating the clutch. But, I am 49 years old and have had back surgery in the past. Maybe I am a bad example.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:40 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by dcarlinf1
Your question was about American adults. So, that is what I based my answer on. I would not want to sit back there for any length of time. Can you do it ... yes. Is it comfortable ... no. I am 5'-11' and when my driver seat it where I want it to be, it is only about 3 inches from the back seat. Putting a couple kids back there would be reasonable. But, no adult will want to be there for long and the driver will have to move forward to the point I would consider it uncomfortable operating the clutch. But, I am 49 years old and have had back surgery in the past. Maybe I am a bad example.

^^^ This. I'm 5'6" and I don't like sitting in the back seat. Even with me in the front seat, there is very little space between the back of the seat and the front lip of the seat in back. Small kids would be fine back there.

I do not consider the mustang a 4 adult seater car. Two adults or two adults and two small children at the most. Oh, and if you're talking about American sized adults, two adults only!
Old 07-31-2014, 03:19 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Being 6'4" myself, I can tell you leg room isn't an issue, but watch your right knee when you get in the car!

I wasn't used to having that corner on the center console right in front of the e-brake handle, and I banged my knee on it a couple times while getting in and I'm pretty sure I bruised my kneecap. Frickin' hurts.

Also you'll find that if you're wearing jeans, the seam on the outside of the leg will probably bother you some because it will rub your leg while driving.

As for rear seat room...yeah, no. I have to put the seat all the way back and I'd say there's maybe 4 inches between it and the rear seat. Now maybe if you had somebody under 5'5" in the passenger seat it might be doable there.

Oh- and I love the compliments I get in this car. Random kids on the street yell out "Nice Mustang!" or "I like your car!"
Old 07-31-2014, 03:41 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Let's not kid anyone. Trying to fit anything bigger than a poodle in the back seat would be considered torture.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:09 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

If it's going to be the family's only car I wouldn't. Pulling the seats forward and car seats every time you park would get old. If it isn't I don't see a problem if that doesn't bother you. As far as being 6'6" that's not a big issue for legroom as a driver
Old 08-01-2014, 04:05 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

1.) Yes
2.) No, and definitely not with a 6' 6" adult in the front seat.
3.) Yes

This car is very easy to live with. Maintenance is easy and rare. As far as the dated suspension, with a few simple mods I manage to keep up with cars significantly more expensive and complex than mine. Catches a lot of people by surprise.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:14 AM
Mr Brooksy

OK. Thanks. I think from all your comments I can deduce that...

1. I will more than likely fit comfortably. Good to know.

2. There is space, but not for medium to large adults. Kids seems to be ok including a booster seat (which is what my 3 year old is using due to his height) but it could be a bit annoying long term.

3. There are all the safety points I need.

Now I need to work out if the restrictions in back seat space are a deal breaker or if I can live with it so that I can own another "bucket list" car and be in something interesting in a sea of boring cars over in China.

Quick Reply: Living with an S197? What's it really like?