Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Living with an S197? What's it really like?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 09:38 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

dude i take adults in the back no probs..
my son is 11 and he can sit there for hours with a mate...
one thing though the back window is huge and he does complain if it's too sunny..your littluns will get a lot of sun direct on them
Old 08-01-2014, 09:54 AM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

buy it for yourself, get the wife and kids an SUV
Old 08-01-2014, 12:22 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I am 5'9 and fit comfortably in the drivers seat. I have a 6 year old and 12 year old and they fit fine in the back seats.
My Wife has an SUV that we use as the family vehicle. It has two built in DVD players, wireless head sets, navigation, sun roof, CD burner and a killer sound system. It makes my Mustang seem kind of boring. LOL
Best of both worlds!

Last edited by kevinmalec; 08-01-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:49 PM
SirDrums
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, this isnt a family car. Its OK for the occasional trip but I would dream of trying to use the stang as the main family car.

At my house our family car is a 6 passenger Flex. Its also has the DVD players in the headrest, the huge sun roof (one over every seat)... and I have to vacuum it out every weekend (i think the kids are full of holes they drop everything). When we go on trips.. its in the flex.

The mustang is my daily driver to work and our 'Date Car'
Old 08-01-2014, 01:41 PM
krazykevin
2nd Gear Member

Front seat space for just you will not be an issue. and there are the safety points.

I think the rear seat space is largely based on opinion. I am 6'0'' and I can ride in the back with a 6'0" driver. Is it a little cramped? Yes. Would I do it because it is a mustang? Yes.

It also depends on how close you like to sit to the steering wheel as a driver, some people like to sit reclined and far back and some people like to sit on top of the steering wheel. Obviously your preference here will effect the leg room in the back seat.

The only for sure info I can give you in the back seat is that as a 6'0" person, my head will bump the rear glass if we hit a bump in the road. If i slouch a little in the seat, then this is not an issue. However if a driver is tall and sits far back, slouching is not really an option. Hopefully this answers some questions and actually explains more than just a "yes" or "no"
Old 08-01-2014, 02:09 PM
Criticalmass

Living with an S197? What's it really like?
She doesn't cook or do windows or dust.... Sigh. Oh wait..
Old 08-01-2014, 08:30 PM
Mr Brooksy

Thanks again everyone. My seating position depends a lot on dash height, roof height, steering wheel adjustment and rear vision mirror adjustability. So in some cars I'm laying back far more than others.

Interesting that a 6 footer can sit behind a 6 footer with some some head room issues.

As my first post suggests I'm not keen on a second car (which would actually make it three if you count my Falcon back in Australia) especially an SUV or people mover. I'm one of those strange people who bucks the trends and hates high riding vehicles (especially the seating position)! If we did look at a second car I would prefer a mid 2000s Mondeo (I think you guys call them Fusion). But again the four door sedans here are all rubbish FWDs unlike home with the choice of the 2 Aussie RWD sedans.

Also the car would be used for trips mostly no further than 2 hours and usually 30mins. Even though I would love to drive the length and height of China as it is unbelievably different compared to home.

Finally I'm guessing we will live here for no longer than 5 years at this stage as we want our little one to go through the majority of schooling in Australia. That affects what we will be prepared to invest in vehicle wise also.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:18 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

if u have tons of cash then just buy it.
if u have to stretch yourself then think carefully.
good thing with these cars is there is very little maintenance...just filters and oil really..
no cambelts to worry about...spark plugs go for 100k miles..hydraulic valve adjustment..
'
pretty simple car to maintain
Old 08-03-2014, 11:59 AM
ccwebb
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hucker
dont expect any of these mustangs to handle well..high speed they are not very stable at all..if your used to driving bmw audi or mercedes i feel u may be disapointed tbh..
crude is a word i would use to describe a s197..
ancient susspension system on these is a disgrace on ford...to make such a nice looking car and then give it 1975 susspension is kinda bad all imho ofc

Crude? I prefer to call it 'elemental'.

Don't forget that a bone stock S197's 'disgraceful ancient suspension' managed to perform within .09 seconds of the BMW M3 on the Willow Springs track...again that's point-ZERO-nine seconds...less that one tenth of a second.

These results coming from the Motor Trend staff no less, the same guys who have been peeing in their pants over the BMW's superior performance for as long as anyone can recall.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz0xSOW3Djv

Not to mention who won the 2013 BMW 200 at Daytona...it wasn't a BMW or a Porsche or even an Aston Martin but a solid axle S197...for the second year in a row.

http://www.stangtv.com/event-coverag...p-and-gallery/

That said I'm not going to pretend that the S197's ride is as smooth as performance cars with IRS. It's not. On the other hand I won't ignore the fact that the S197 with it's solid rear axle is a far better performer that most realize or in the case of the cultish, care to admit.

But I guess Ford finally did give the Mustang IRS and a funny thing happened...The army of Mustang detractors had to shift their sights to something else to hate about the new Mustang and seems like they have zeroed-in on...it's looks.

Oh well. Fire away!

Last edited by ccwebb; 08-03-2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:27 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

6.2 1/2 220 lbs and I fit easy in the front, but personally wouldnt ride in the back. Kids would fit easy. Suspension can be easily upgraded with springs, shocks etc...makes a world of difference. Have had my car for 4.5 years and it just keeps getting better. My next car will be another mustang no doubt about it.

Quick Reply: Living with an S197? What's it really like?