Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Living with an S197? What's it really like?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 03:22 AM
Mr Brooksy

Default Living with an S197? What's it really like?

Hi everyone,

Need some honest feedback here. I maybe in the market for a used S197 on the proviso that my young family can use it. Also it is impossible for me to go to my local Ford dealer to sit in one or test drive etc as I am in China. Here are my major questions...

1) Can someone approx 6 foot 6 inchs tall drive this thing comfortably?
2) Can the avg American adults actually sit in the 2 rear seats (while adults sit in the front seats)?
3) Does the rear seat compartment have safety seat points (anchor points for booster seats)?

I know these questions seem a little strange, but keep in mind Im an Aussie (we dont get the Mustang til next year and we wont ever get the S197 obviously) and so have not ever had access to one. My family is living in China for the next few years, and I don't want to buy a shopping trolley of a car if I can help it. And finally having a pretty stock Aussie muscle car capable of 0 - 60mph in 5sec dead (every day of the week), living with a frustrating and boring 'A to B car' will bore me to tears.

There are quite a few S197s here believe it or not, and I would jump at one in a heart beat but there is no way I want the hassle and costs of buying two cars (A - B and a toy) if I can make one Stang work let alone the grief from my wife.

Any help, experience, advice (within my question parameters) is welcome.

Brooksy
Old 07-31-2014, 03:57 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

i'm 6 foot 1 and fit easily
the rear seats are pretty good..i can fit in them..

try and get as late a model as u can..from 2010 they improved the car so much in every way...the 2005 to 2009 kinda remind me of a 1978 ford granada....hard but true..my 2010 feels like a bmw or mercedes in comparison..

dont expect any of these mustangs to handle well..high speed they are not very stable at all..if your used to driving bmw audi or mercedes i feel u may be disapointed tbh..
crude is a word i would use to describe a s197..
ancient susspension system on these is a disgrace on ford...to make such a nice looking car and then give it 1975 susspension is kinda bad all imho ofc

Last edited by Rudolph Hucker; 07-31-2014 at 04:01 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:56 AM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Yes

2) Can the avg American adults actually sit in the 2 rear seats (while adults sit in the front seats)?

No

3) Does the rear seat compartment have safety seat points (anchor points for booster seats)?

Not sure
Old 07-31-2014, 08:18 AM
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

Does the rear seat compartment have safety seat points (anchor points for booster seats)?

Yes
Old 07-31-2014, 08:24 AM
Mr Brooksy

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hucker
i'm 6 foot 1 and fit easily
the rear seats are pretty good..i can fit in them..

try and get as late a model as u can..from 2010 they improved the car so much in every way...the 2005 to 2009 kinda remind me of a 1978 ford granada....hard but true..my 2010 feels like a bmw or mercedes in comparison..

dont expect any of these mustangs to handle well..high speed they are not very stable at all..if your used to driving bmw audi or mercedes i feel u may be disapointed tbh..
crude is a word i would use to describe a s197..
ancient susspension system on these is a disgrace on ford...to make such a nice looking car and then give it 1975 susspension is kinda bad all imho ofc
Thanks for your very helpful response!

My car back home is a hot turbo straight 6 Falcon (photos in the introduce yourself section from last year) with the IRS adapted from a Jag when Ford owned them and from (I'm told) the Mondeo/Fusion. So yes its a very capable rear end but at 1800kg it is not in the same league as a Euro sports car. And the with 'unique' traffic conditions here in China going quickly is not really an option.

Nice to know you fit comfortably in the drivers seat and back seats. They look rather short in the foot well room dept, but the base of the rear seats look quite allot longer than what I'm used to seeing. And the head room for someone as tall as yourself is a little surprising to be honest! Any idea why DCarlin has a different opinion to your own about the seating?

Any idea about child seat anchor points?

Originally Posted by dcarlinf1

Yes

No

Not sure
Thanks for your succinct answers! Could you clarify the difference between Rudolf's comments about space in the rear seat and yours? What is the problem with the space with 4 adults in the car?
Old 07-31-2014, 08:24 AM
Mr Brooksy

Thanks WayKool!!! Really appreciated!
Old 07-31-2014, 10:07 AM
Mr Brooksy

I just realised that this is in the wrong area... sorry but I guess I'm not asking anything relating to the engine...
Old 07-31-2014, 10:21 AM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

I'm 6'4" tall and i find the car very comfortable. Even with a manual. But my kids barely fir in the back. I do have a car seat in mine most of the time though.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:57 AM
SirDrums
2nd Gear Member

The rear seat have anchor points for the Latch system. (two in the seat and one behind)

Installing the seat can be a pain but it can be done just make sure that you put a seat protector down first to project the seats as you have to tighten them really well.

A forward facing car seat or booster seat will fit fine in there. My 3 almost 4 year old son rides in mine with me from time to time. His little brother is close to being able to ride as well.

Some peaple say a rear facing can work but none of the ones I have seen or used will fit. It requires the passenger seat to be way forward.

As far as adults sitting in the rear... well it depends on the adult. Its a tight fit which some dont mind and others can't stand.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:17 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

i have been in the back no probs
wot u expect from a coupe semi sports car?
way better than a corvette aye lol

Quick Reply: Living with an S197? What's it really like?