Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2010 Mustang Hood Corrosion!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 12:19 PM
Steve St.Laurent
1st Gear Member

That was exactly my point on the phone with Ford customer service. My '13 now has corrosion across about 30% of the front of the hood with about a quarter sized piece that's now bare metal. This is a less than 3 year old car that you can literally eat off of the engine bay - I keep it that clean. With them going to an all aluminum body for the F150 I would think they'd want to be all over aluminum issues. Customer service did offer to pay for half of a new hood - which would still be $700 out of my pocket for an issue that is 100% Fords. I'm still deciding whether I'm going to leave it as it is and continue to enter the car in car shows with a sign explaining Ford's corrosion warranty or whether I'm just going to by an aftermarket hood and fix it myself. I have no confidence that purchasing a new hood from Ford is not going to have me dealing with the problem again 2 years from now. I also highly doubt I'll ever be buying another Ford product. When I had the paint peel problem with a 1988 Chevy S-10 GM repainted the entire truck - with 98,000 miles on it and 5 years later. I've never been so disappointed in support from a manufacturer on an obvious manufacturing defect. Big mistake on Ford's part because they've lost out on probably another 6 vehicle purchases from me alone plus the word of mouth that I as an enthusiast wield. Everyone in my town knows I'm one of the car guys in town (since I'm under them all the time) and come to me for advice.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:38 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by Steve St.Laurent
That was exactly my point on the phone with Ford customer service. My '13 now has corrosion across about 30% of the front of the hood with about a quarter sized piece that's now bare metal. This is a less than 3 year old car that you can literally eat off of the engine bay - I keep it that clean. With them going to an all aluminum body for the F150 I would think they'd want to be all over aluminum issues. Customer service did offer to pay for half of a new hood - which would still be $700 out of my pocket for an issue that is 100% Fords. ...
Hello Steve St.Laurent,

Were you able to address your goodwill offer with your CSM?

Deysha
Old 07-02-2015, 01:59 PM
Steve St.Laurent
1st Gear Member

They offered to pay for 1/2 the cost of the hood replacement - which would still mean $700 out of my pocket. I'm not willing to shell out an additional $700 out of my pocket for an issue that's a Ford manufacturing defect especially when I don't have much faith that the replacement hood will not have the same issue in another 2 years. So they made the offer but the offer is unacceptable.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:52 PM
bstang14
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Steve St.Laurent
They offered to pay for 1/2 the cost of the hood replacement - which would still mean $700 out of my pocket. I'm not willing to shell out an additional $700 out of my pocket for an issue that's a Ford manufacturing defect especially when I don't have much faith that the replacement hood will not have the same issue in another 2 years. So they made the offer but the offer is unacceptable.
Good for you. Ford has a big problem here that they are obviously not yet ready to address. I recommend all of you who have the problem keep documentation, photos, and out of pocket costs associated with repair. Hopefully, there will be compensation in your future. It's sad that ford reps keep up the charade as well.