Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2010 Mustang Hood Corrosion!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 03:15 AM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

I have a 2010 and I noticed a few spots starting to appear. :-(

Hopefully it won't get much worse before I sell it next summer.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:28 PM
Steve St.Laurent
1st Gear Member

I was horrified recently to discover a 1"x2" rust bubble on the hood of my '13. My car is parked in a garage almost 24/7 when I'm not driving it. I park in underground heated parking at work and it's garaged at home. I have a subscription to a car wash and it's washed regularly with an underbody wash as well. Took it to the dealer two weeks ago and they told me that they've been seeing this problem across much of Ford's product line and that they haven't had trouble getting it covered. They also showed me where it's corroding all over the place under the hood where I hadn't seen it yet. They told me that it's because the underside of the hood is steel and the upper is aluminum. Their fix is to sandblast, then seal the seams and repaint the hood.

After not hearing back from the dealer after almost two weeks I called to see what was up. The body shop guy said he'd been fighting with Ford to try to cover it and they are refusing - saying that it would only be covered under the 3 yr/36,000 mile warranty - and my 13 is just over 2 1/2 years old (bought in september of 2012) and has 47k miles on it. He said he's on my side and is shocked that Ford isn't covering it. I'll be calling Fords customer service next week and will be fighting for this. This is ridiculous - it's obviously a manufacturing defect, there's no way my car should have this much corrosion on it - I have more rust on my 2013 Mustang with 47k miles on it that's parked inside almost 24/7 than I do on my '98 Dodge 3/4 ton truck with 350k miles on it that's been parked outside it's entire life. I'm more than a little mad that Ford is balking at covering this.

I read about the problem when I ordered mine and that it was thought to be a contamination issue during manufacture but I figured surely they would have figured it out by then since it was a known issue. Guess not . . . .
Old 04-27-2015, 07:22 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by Steve St.Laurent
I was horrified recently to discover a 1"x2" rust bubble on the hood of my '13. My car is parked in a garage almost 24/7 when I'm not driving it. I park in underground heated parking at work and it's garaged at home. I have a subscription to a car wash and it's washed regularly with an underbody wash as well. Took it to the dealer two weeks ago and they told me that they've been seeing this problem across much of Ford's product line and that they haven't had trouble getting it covered. They also showed me where it's corroding all over the place under the hood where I hadn't seen it yet. They told me that it's because the underside of the hood is steel and the upper is aluminum. Their fix is to sandblast, then seal the seams and repaint the hood.

After not hearing back from the dealer after almost two weeks I called to see what was up. The body shop guy said he'd been fighting with Ford to try to cover it and they are refusing - saying that it would only be covered under the 3 yr/36,000 mile warranty - and my 13 is just over 2 1/2 years old (bought in september of 2012) and has 47k miles on it. He said he's on my side and is shocked that Ford isn't covering it. I'll be calling Fords customer service next week and will be fighting for this. This is ridiculous - it's obviously a manufacturing defect, there's no way my car should have this much corrosion on it - I have more rust on my 2013 Mustang with 47k miles on it that's parked inside almost 24/7 than I do on my '98 Dodge 3/4 ton truck with 350k miles on it that's been parked outside it's entire life. I'm more than a little mad that Ford is balking at covering this.

I read about the problem when I ordered mine and that it was thought to be a contamination issue during manufacture but I figured surely they would have figured it out by then since it was a known issue. Guess not . . . .
Hello Steve St.Laurent,

I’m happy to get this reviewed for you. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
Old 05-01-2015, 08:54 AM
bret1197

Bought my Mustang second hand. Has the corrosion which I hate...looks horrible. Rather than wait for Ford to make it right( which I doubt they will do) I replaced it with a cervinni stalker 2 hood that I found at the Englishtown swap meet. Already painted my color...fits great...don't have to wait for ford...and corrosion will never come back.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:35 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

This is a common issue on all Mustang hoods from 05-14. I had a 2011 Vert with this issue, a V6 and since it had 54k on it when I finally decided to deal with it, I just went to a local shop and spent $600 on a repaint. Then traded it.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:26 AM
jrockstarr

Originally Posted by Steve St.Laurent

I had a very similar issue with my 2013. except I caught mine just before it hit 36k. I was told by the dealer and even shown paper work that they were going to replace the hood and paint it, or so I thought...

I made an appointment to have this plus other work done such as the rear control arm TSB and fix my pony projectors. I made an appointment the last day or so of april and took the car to the body shop at the dealer on may 11. At that point, they didn't order the hood and told me they would order that day. ( ball drop #1) I suggested they send the car over to service to have the other repairs done while they waited so they did that.

well car got back to the body shop Thursday ( about 50 feet from the dealers service lane) and apparently just sat there even after me calling and not getting a straight answer as to what they were doing. after being told lets shoot for Tuesday, I called Tuesday only to find out that they haven't touched the car. ( ball drop #2)

I then got things elevated to the service director who informed me that they were fighting with ford because ford didn't want to pay to replace the hood and only repair it. I was called today and told now they were going to paint and repair the hood instead of replace. My car has been there for a week and a half and the ONLY reason I finally found out what is going on is due to me being pro active and calling constantly as ford hadn't called me once to inform me of what was going on.

the only thing I can think of now is that they are going to re paint and the corrosion will come back after my warranty is out and I will get screwed with the same being said for the squeaking noise that always seems to come back after "repairing" the control arm tsb.

It seems to me that ford service in more into putting bandaids on their vehicles issues then fixing them.'

I wonder how much of what this dealer is telling me is truth. Does ford really not want to replace my hood or does the dealer not want to because its warranty work and they don't want to deal with the hassle???

I have to say, this is my first real experience with fords customer service and im pretty disappointed.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:40 AM
chrisdbassplayer
2nd Gear Member

I have 2 friends with a 10 and an 11 both have the hood corrosion. Ford denied both of them. I dont think ford is going to magically change there mind to start paying for this fix its very wide spread. I think they will continue to do a quick fix for those with warranty left to get you through till the warranty is over. Thats some top notch customer service there. The sad thing is most mustang owners are repeat owners. We love the Mustang brand it gets under your skin and you cant shake it. To treat customers that loves your brand and company like this is just bad business practice.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:35 AM
jrockstarr

UPDATE: so after sitting for a week and a half with nothing done, magically the body shop started work on Thursday and car was finished by Friday. how magical

they seemed to have done a decent job repairing the corrosion, but how long its going to last is beyond me.

when I got the car back, ford never told me that that didn't even repair my pony projectors due to the part being on a national back order. heres your sign ford. I have to go back to the dealer to have the parts installed now as well as take a tech for a ride as MY SQUEEKING is still CLEARLY THERE.

I guess they just threw a control arm on and didn't even bother to check to see if the problem was solved. Now I will have to invest even more time into getting this resolved.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:05 AM
Ruffy07

My 07 has the dreaded corrosion as well. I had covered it up with the Ford wind deflector but now the corrosion is popping up around the hood scoop. It's obvious that it's not worth repainting and right now shelling out 1k for a pre-painted Cervini hood is out of the question. Really sucks.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:54 AM
BrianK
2nd Gear Member

This hood corrosion and the lack of standing behind the product is one reason my daughter bought a Ram truck rather than the new F-150. Can you imagine a whole aluminium body doing what our hoods do? If the 11 & 12's are still corroding, I can't imagine that Ford has it all worked out.

Quick Reply: 2010 Mustang Hood Corrosion!