Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 08-21-2014, 07:25 PM   #1
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Mustang GT/CS
Default Appropriate lift points with a 2 post lift?

I recently had an issue with a goober at my exhaust shop picking my car up with a two post lift. He swung the lift arms right under the cutouts on the rocker panel (or close to them) and wound up flexing the rockers a bit until I got back there and caused a scene.

So that got me thinking, if using a two post lift, exactly where are my lift points so that I don't damage the rockers? I've never used the pinch point under the rockers in my garage, I've always lifted by the pumpkin and K member. Perhaps the ends of the K member for the front and ??? for the rear...

EDIT: What about these neat little things?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
FRPP 4.10 Gears w/ Carbon Clutch Packs, JLT Series III Intake, Bama 93R Tune, Summit Racing O/R H pipe, Borla Stingers, Eibach Pro Springs, Koni STR.T Struts/Shocks, GT500 Spoiler, Tinted turn signals and side markers, black vinyl decklid wrap, SHR CS Grill Insert, LED Reverse Lights

Last edited by Rocket254; 08-21-2014 at 08:06 PM.
Rocket254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:56 AM   #2
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 08 Ford Mustang GT
DLAzrael43 DLAzrael
Send a message via AIM to dlazrael Send a message via Yahoo to dlazrael

on a 2 post lift ill usually use the end of the kmember where it bolts to the frame and the suspension joint where the LCA bolts to the frame.... unless i am working on that part and then i use the pinch points.... I never jack the pumpkin ever unless I need to for suspension work..... it's actually bad for it IAW manuals etc
Go Fast Parts: 2.3L W140AX FRPP Whipple 550 HO Supercharger, PCV Delete, Pypes Violators Axleback, MAC Prochamber, FRPP 62mm Polished TB
Suspension: Steeda: Front/Rear Sways, Sport Springs, Pro-Action S/S, Chromoly LCA, Chromoly UCA, GT500 Strut Mounts
Driveline:Steeda Tri-Ax, DSS 4" Aluminum DS
Show:GT500 Spoiler, GT500 Chinstrap (awaiting install), GTS-IV Hood
dlazrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:49 AM   #3
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlazrael View Post
on a 2 post lift ill usually use the end of the kmember where it bolts to the frame and the suspension joint where the LCA bolts to the frame.... unless i am working on that part and then i use the pinch points.... I never jack the pumpkin ever unless I need to for suspension work..... it's actually bad for it IAW manuals etc
Sorry for the late reply. For the LCA point, is the blue arrows on this picture the exact point you are referring to? Whenever I do rear suspension work, I've placed stands on the flat area just ahead of the LCA mounts and that seems to work well though I can't see how I'd get a lift pad to that point. I never imagined it would be safe to lift by the mount. But, hey, the more you know...

Click the image to open in full size.
FRPP 4.10 Gears w/ Carbon Clutch Packs, JLT Series III Intake, Bama 93R Tune, Summit Racing O/R H pipe, Borla Stingers, Eibach Pro Springs, Koni STR.T Struts/Shocks, GT500 Spoiler, Tinted turn signals and side markers, black vinyl decklid wrap, SHR CS Grill Insert, LED Reverse Lights
Old 09-17-2014, 10:30 PM   #4
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 08 Ford Mustang GT
DLAzrael43 DLAzrael
Send a message via AIM to dlazrael Send a message via Yahoo to dlazrael

I've lifted by there, unless I need to do something involving moving the axles, than I put the pads on the frame bead (bottom red arrows), IDK about putting anything on the flat portion just in front of the bracket box... not sure how reinforced that is... I'm hoping to get my LCAs and LCA brackets in this weekend I think... Don't wanna do it in the driveway lol
Go Fast Parts: 2.3L W140AX FRPP Whipple 550 HO Supercharger, PCV Delete, Pypes Violators Axleback, MAC Prochamber, FRPP 62mm Polished TB
Suspension: Steeda: Front/Rear Sways, Sport Springs, Pro-Action S/S, Chromoly LCA, Chromoly UCA, GT500 Strut Mounts
Driveline:Steeda Tri-Ax, DSS 4" Aluminum DS
Show:GT500 Spoiler, GT500 Chinstrap (awaiting install), GTS-IV Hood
dlazrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:58 PM   #5
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

I hesitate to use the pinch welds on my car because they seemed to be recessed into the rocker panels and I cant support the car there without bending those panels.

Have you ever heard of these pad inserts? If these are reliable, they may be exactly what I need.

Last edited by Rocket254; 09-18-2014 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:58 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement