Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Need exhaust advice!!! Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 11:17 PM
GCCBrian
1st Gear Member

Default Need exhaust advice!!! Please Help!

So atm I have a JLT 110mm Intake, 91 Octane Bama Race tune, and a Pypes offroad X pipe paired up with stock mufflers.

I had the Offroad X pipe and Flowmaster Outlaws and OMG they were just obnoxious! They sounded great though, had a nice trumpet sound to it, but just really loud and on the way to school theres a cop that waits right before the long hill and i cant even hit the gas cause its so damn loud at 1800rpm's.

Is there any ways to quiet down the exhaust to where it's at least streetable and not obnoxious. I'm thinking maybe some pypes high flow cats should do?

If the outlaw's wouldn't work for what I want to do, what would you recommend? (I'd prefer to stay catless if I could make your setup quiet without cats)

My definition of Quiet is Nice tone to it when your normally driving on the road, can tell there's an exhaust system, but when you full throttle it really opens up and screams!

Oh and I live in California if that helps, I don't need to hear everyone tell me what the laws are, I know what they are and I know my risk, I just want a setup that isn't going to instantly get me pulled over like the o/r X and outlaws.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:30 AM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

U have a couple options:
1) change to an offroad H pipe for more of a low roar than a racey raspy sound

2) install some Kind of bullet style muffler or resonator from pypes or slp
Old 08-27-2014, 04:24 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Some resonators after the x-pipe will clean up the noise.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:27 PM
GCCBrian
1st Gear Member

Anyone recommend what kind of resonator I can use with the high flow cats to baffle out the sound a little. I love the trumpet sound, I just want it quiet from 800rpm-3,000rpm then after that I dont care cause if im going past that on the street I am full throttle. I'm rarely ever past 3000-3500 daily driving between shifts.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:41 AM
kingstrider
1st Gear Member

Just a thought but I wound up putting Borla S types and the Boss 302 exhaust on my car. It is pretty loud so I'm going to put electric cutouts on the side pipes for when I need to be less conspicuous. Ever thought about something like that with a more mellow muffler?
Old 09-10-2014, 10:49 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Cutting in some mid mounted resonators is the best tone mod you can do to an offload setup. Pypes m80 are a common choice. I've run them and currently run mbrp. Your tone will become deeper and clean up all that garbage noise.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:49 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

OP, it doesn't sound like you removed your stock resonators. They are located after the mid-pipe and just changing the x-pipe and muffler does not remove them. Did you remove them? If not then adding another set of resonators will not help you.

I would say that you best option is to go with a quieter muffler. The GT500 Muffler is a great sound with lower volume at low RPM's like you are looking for. They do get louder when you open up the car.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:57 AM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BrazenStang

I would say that you best option is to go with a quieter muffler. The GT500 Muffler is a great sound with lower volume at low RPM's like you are looking for. They do get louder when you open up the car.
I'm running the GT500 mufflers on my car with the resonators removed, and I love it. It sounds similar to a friend's Bassani axle backs, but a touch quieter. When I'm cruising easy, it has a nice sound. When I get on it, it sounds great to me. In 6th gear on the interstate, it's very quiet for cruising with zero drone. I've got a total of $430 in mine; that's for the mufflers (bought on sale), installation, and removal of my resonators.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:33 AM
GCCBrian
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BrazenStang
OP, it doesn't sound like you removed your stock resonators. They are located after the mid-pipe and just changing the x-pipe and muffler does not remove them. Did you remove them? If not then adding another set of resonators will not help you.

05-10 Mustang GT's don't have resonators, the 11+ 5.0's do..
Old 09-12-2014, 11:34 AM
GCCBrian
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Cutting in some mid mounted resonators is the best tone mod you can do to an offload setup. Pypes m80 are a common choice. I've run them and currently run mbrp. Your tone will become deeper and clean up all that garbage noise.
I'm really looking at the Pypes mid muffler catback to pair up with my offroad x pipe? Has anyone ever run that setup, I hope it won't be too loud?

Quick Reply: Need exhaust advice!!! Please Help!