Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

intake no tune simply question

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 03:25 PM
schwanyGT

Default intake no tune simply question

got offered a smoking deal on a roush intake for my 07 gt, it says it requires no tune. when I wanna get a tuner and I will do I just have to replace the sensor or?
Old 10-02-2014, 05:05 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

your going to get answers from across the board on this. if it doesn't need a tune then its not very beneficial to you unless you like the look. most will say that the performance upgrade comes from tuning and not the intake/cai itself. when its all said and done its entirely up to you. I went with a no-tune cheap cai at first because I didn't know any better and didn't do much research. then I purchased a sct tuner off CL and that's when my car seemed to wake up. ive now invested in a steeda cai and custom tune from brenspeed (87.91.93. octane) and couldn't be happier. IMO I would pass on a non tune required cai even though its a Roush. being a no-tune cai means just that, swap it for your stock air box without the ecm noticing. if you go with a tune required cai and don't tune for it then you will put the engine in failsafe and NEED a tuner. do some reading up and then go from there. just my $.02. good luck and let us know what you decide.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:11 PM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

I noticed a very minimal gain when I installed a no-tune intake on my 05 v6. I never tuned it so I couldn't tell you the difference in power between the tune/no tune for the 4.0s. But, on my 3.7 the difference was night and day when matched with a tune.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:11 PM
schwanyGT

Thanks guys, i guess what im asking is can i use this CAI and when i get a tune?????? Do i just have to switch the sensor?
Old 10-02-2014, 08:18 PM
schwanyGT

Im not asking about gains i know that there will be very little, i just wanna know can i use this intake when i get a tune and what will i have to change on it when i do tune my car. Thanks
Old 10-02-2014, 09:44 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

I am by no means an expert. I just ran around here on the site about my '05 GT. IF part of the Roush CAI was a MAF Sensor that goes with it, that sensor may be calibrated to interface with your car to let it know Roush has arrived. IF that be true, and you get a "tune" you will most likely want to put your original MAF Sensor back in for the "tune."

I had a "no tune required" Granatelli that had a "chip" in between the CAI and car to let the car know it had a different intake. it was an insert between the harness out of the CAI and the harness into the car.

that's my "two cents" FWIW.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:56 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If that CAI truly is a no-tune CAI, then you can install now (once in awhile even a no-tune CAI can throw a cell) and when you do decide to tune, you'll need to buy a handheld tuner with some custom tunes loaded. Brenspeed and AM/Bama are the most popular shops that write good tunes.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:37 AM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Brenspeed and AM/Bama are the most popular shops that write good tunes.
Those two are the absolute last two I would get a tune from. They're the ones that have had all the engine failures.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:57 AM
transporter

There is an insert in the ROUSH CAI. Remove it when you get the tuner, leave it in with no tune.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:57 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by scottmach
Those two are the absolute last two I would get a tune from. They're the ones that have had all the engine failures.
I have heard two people say that. Neither back it up and goes directly against what everyone else says. Their service is good and their tunes have been good. If there is an issue with their tune, then they fix it.

They would not be as successful as they are if they were blowing up engines.

Quick Reply: intake no tune simply question