Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Help my car find new shoes!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 12:15 PM
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

Default Help my car find new shoes!

My tires are nearing the end of days (Thanks, 4.10s ) and I'm playing with the idea of moving to a 10" wheel in the back to put wider tires on. Problem is, I can't visualize what wheels would or would not look good on my car. This is where you guys come in...

Basically, here's my wishlist:
Staggered width wheels in 18, 19, or 20"
Not big on black wheels unless they have a polished lip.
Not crazy about chrome. (This ain't no '55 Cheby)

Let's hear those suggestions!

Name:  NS7c3W3.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  199.5 KB

Name:  WP_20130621_020a_zpsfb4b4858.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  64.4 KB
Name:  WpLoeU7.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  631.0 KB
Old 10-10-2014, 02:02 PM
red07gt
1st Gear Member

Your car looks freaking sweet the way it is!!!!! My vote is to keep the tire size the same...but that's just me....do what YOU feel like!
Old 10-15-2014, 09:21 AM
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

Thanks.

I'm still split 50/50 after a few days of research.

Anyone with the 5 spoke 20" MMD style rims here? Do you find yourself wishing you had more sidewall?
Old 10-15-2014, 06:28 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Please, no 19s or 20s. Someone is going to chime in here and say "but I have them and like them and here's why" and that's all well and good, but I still think they look bad. It's totally up to you. No, they will NOT fill the wheel well better, the overall diameter is the same. Stick with 18s. If you're having trouble hooking up, a thinner sidewall isn't going to help anyways. I've always liked wheels from American Racing, they all have a nice old school look. I do love my Forgestars and know a few friends who also own them on a variety of cars and love them as well.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:29 PM
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CMcNam
Please, no 19s or 20s. Someone is going to chime in here and say "but I have them and like them and here's why" and that's all well and good, but I still think they look bad. It's totally up to you. No, they will NOT fill the wheel well better, the overall diameter is the same. Stick with 18s. If you're having trouble hooking up, a thinner sidewall isn't going to help anyways. I've always liked wheels from American Racing, they all have a nice old school look. I do love my Forgestars and know a few friends who also own them on a variety of cars and love them as well.
I go back and forth on my opinion of 20's. I had written them off until I saw a local guy's (07BLACKGT) car and was just blown away with his STR wheels. They didn't look near as oversized on his car as I thought they would though I do think I recall him mentioning the much rougher ride. I realize that bigger wheels won't fill fenders. If anything, the tire selection at that size would probably result in a smaller overall diameter. I just need more contact area. period. I can't do any sort of aggressive launch at all without spinning.

Your sig pic is the exact stance I would be looking for out of this with 18s. The problem is that I've been pulling myself towards the 5 spoke setups that are typically available in only 19/20.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:35 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Side shot for reference:
Name:  WP_20130912_001_zpsc418ee6f.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  111.4 KB

I also like that they aren't much bigger than the Brembos. 1.5" drop on H&R Race Springs with Koni Yellows and a Fays2 watts link. Ordered my Forgestars from Howey over at Howey Industries. Knew the exact offset needed to sit flush with the fenders and my drop.

Edit: Love your car by the way. I'd do terrible things to get my hands on a new CS front bumper kit.

Last edited by CMcNam; 10-16-2014 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:08 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rocket254
I go back and forth on my opinion of 20's. I had written them off until I saw a local guy's (07BLACKGT) car and was just blown away with his STR wheels. They didn't look near as oversized on his car as I thought they would though I do think I recall him mentioning the much rougher ride. I realize that bigger wheels won't fill fenders. If anything, the tire selection at that size would probably result in a smaller overall diameter. I just need more contact area. period. I can't do any sort of aggressive launch at all without spinning.

Your sig pic is the exact stance I would be looking for out of this with 18s. The problem is that I've been pulling myself towards the 5 spoke setups that are typically available in only 19/20.
lol my man!

Yeah, I still go back and forth on my opinion of 20's as well. Looks wise, I love them. They are so striking in person. The thing breaks so many necks these days, 20's should be a crime.

It's just that... my car was more fun to drive with the 18's I had before. It was so well-rounded. I wasn't afraid to kick it sideways going up Bankhead. It was very predictable, rode nicely, stopped and accelerated faster... and my butt didn't pucker at every approaching dip in the road (also lowered it another inch).

However

Everytime I look at it I'm like "well hell, I can't get rid of these"

lol

Sexy bitch.

Honestly though, the ride isn't bad. I lived in Athens last time I talked to you at the show. I have since moved to south Hsv, where the roads are 9000x's better. I no longer have any complaints with the ride. You are welcome to ride in my car to see for yourself how the 20's ride, just let me know.

There is one setup that I would get rid of my 20's for... and that is Weld RT-S with some fat tires all the way around.

UUUFFFF. Can't afford them right now, but if I ever decide to go back with 18's, these will be the ones. Absolutely yummy.

I like all sizes on these cars 18-20. 5 spoke is the way to go on 05-09 though, regardless of size!
Old 10-17-2014, 10:50 AM
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

You said it 07BLACKGT! The Weld wheels are sweetness! Although, they come at a cost!
Old 10-21-2014, 05:18 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

I was basically in the same boat as you a few years back. I had the same wheels you have, I don't like chrome, and I don't like all black. I went with staggered FRs with the polished lip. I was nervous at first, but once they were on the car I was very happy. Have never regretted my decision once.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:10 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

07BLACKGT...great pics.

Quick Reply: Help my car find new shoes!