Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

what should i do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 08:25 AM
RenGen
Banned

Default what should i do?

so i was planning on driving my stang in winter and i put winter wheels on it and drove it a couple days in the snow - but then last minute my dad said i can borrow his truck.

so right now my mustang is in the garage and a little dirty (i drove it about 2 days in the snow since it started snowing, but i washed it like 3 days before it started snowing)

so should i just get a quik detail spray and clean up the dirty spots

or should i go to a car wash?

im worried if i go to a car wash my car will get dirty as it is now on teh way back home. I live in an apartment where hose washing is not an option. also its like 10 degrees outside right now.

what u think of this plan?

- ill get quik detaile spray and clean up the dirty places, then sweep my garage (shouldnt be a problem i keep my garage damn clean!)

-clean up tail pipes etc and whatever i can reach under the car, then disconnect battery til spring - good plan?
Old 11-15-2014, 10:18 AM
M1neralGT

It's winter man, all the snow and salt will get on your car regardless of how you drive it. Also with it being 10 degrees outside that water will probably freeze, holding onto what ever dirt was in it.

My advice:

considering you can not garage keep it, and intend on not driving til spring, just go ahead and unplug the battery. If you must clean it, do it right before you cover it, and I personally would do so with a dry towel, simply just wiping off the most obscure things.

Regardless though, come spring, wash or no wash, there will be dirt on it.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:27 AM
RenGen
Banned

the roads were pretty clear today so i quickly went to a touchless car wash and washed it then drove to my garage as cleanly as possible...wiped off a some tiny bits of sand from the tires and unplugged the battery (i also swept the garage) and locked it up. im satisfied for now
Old 11-15-2014, 07:05 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

You might want to put it on jack stands to make sure the tires don't get flat spots over winter, just my 2 cents. jack stands cost a lot less than new tires
Old 11-16-2014, 12:07 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

tyre flat spots on low profiles will be a problem
try and get the wheels off the ground dude..mine flat spot terrible in no time
Old 11-16-2014, 01:18 PM
RenGen
Banned

Originally Posted by ticopowell
You might want to put it on jack stands to make sure the tires don't get flat spots over winter, just my 2 cents. jack stands cost a lot less than new tires
Yeah actually I have the stock rims with snow tires on it ATM and i hear snow tires don't flat spot easily and if they do you can just "drive them off"
Old 11-16-2014, 10:34 PM
roegs
1st Gear Member

Why go through all the hassle of jacking it up, removing the battery etc, when you can just drive it periodically on nice days? I live in MN and we get plenty of snow and salty roads, but there are many days when the streets are completely dry. I take mine out and enjoy it on those days. If I do happen to drive through a couple of sloppy spots, I just take it through the touchless car wash on the way home. I worked hard for my car and I like to enjoy it. Leaving it tucked away for 4-6 months so that it stays pristine is just nuts. On the other hand, I like to buy my cars from those kinds of guys. Sure, I might pay the high side of book value for them, but I get a car that's in mint condition that the other guy only got to enjoy 6 mo out of the year - not to mention the money he lost. They depreciate whether you store them or not.

Last edited by roegs; 11-16-2014 at 10:40 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:21 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

you'de like mine then
each winter it gets jacked up and i spend 2 weeks underneath with wd40 and a rag..
it's in factory condition ..
Old 11-17-2014, 10:28 AM
roegs
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hucker
you'de like mine then
each winter it gets jacked up and i spend 2 weeks underneath with wd40 and a rag..
it's in factory condition ..
Yes I would Rudolph....yours even may be worth me traveling to Sweden and ship it back!
Old 11-17-2014, 01:59 PM
RenGen
Banned

Originally Posted by roegs
Why go through all the hassle of jacking it up, removing the battery etc, when you can just drive it periodically on nice days? I live in MN and we get plenty of snow and salty roads, but there are many days when the streets are completely dry. I take mine out and enjoy it on those days. If I do happen to drive through a couple of sloppy spots, I just take it through the touchless car wash on the way home. I worked hard for my car and I like to enjoy it. Leaving it tucked away for 4-6 months so that it stays pristine is just nuts. On the other hand, I like to buy my cars from those kinds of guys. Sure, I might pay the high side of book value for them, but I get a car that's in mint condition that the other guy only got to enjoy 6 mo out of the year - not to mention the money he lost. They depreciate whether you store them or not.
I live in MN too and I was just thinking this same thing as I sit here realizing i wont be ablet o drive my stang for all these months...its only been 1 week and im having withdrawals like crazy...i think im just gonna go ahead and drive it in the snow.

also i am dying to lower it, i think i will do that too