Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Bearing Noise 2013 GT

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 11:55 AM
Karterfred88

Default Bearing Noise 2013 GT

I've been trying to resolve a bearing, wheel hub or rear axle wheel bearing noise problem on my 2013 GT. The car was a pleasure to drive till 12,000 miles. It then started making a noise best described as a whirring whine that intensifies with road speed. It increases with road speed only, so I've discounted transmission bearings or gear whine. I have taken it to the selling dealer, who was very polite and gave me a loaner for two days while they inspected and drove the car about 5 miles total, but were unable to hear it. Other than blaming the Pirellis for some minor feathering, they couldn't hear any noise. On the way home, about a 100 mile trip, I turned on my IPhone recorder and was easily able to record the noise. I sent these recordings back to the service rep who says he can't hear anything. Rather than take it back ( a 200 mile round trip) to have a technician ride with me, who apparently can't hear noises in the frequency range I can, I decided to send the clips to a friend, who, using headphones had no problem hearing them. I tried uploading them at AllFordMustangs but they won't play. On this forum there is no option to upload mp3 sounds. I sent a private message to the Ford Rep on here-Deysha- but have not had a response. What is the best way to contact Ford technical and have them listen to and try to determine what this noise is.

Last edited by Karterfred88; 12-13-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:06 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Gear whine will increase with speed so don't rule that out. It can also come and go with deceleration, acceleration and coasting. It can also only be present in a certain speed window.

My bearings were replaced last year, along with everything but the axles, and it was howling big time.

They make a tool that looks like a stethoscope with a long metal rod on the end that is used to be placed against various parts to isolate noise. A good shop would do this. They would put it on the lift and check parts for noise.

With a bearing, you should be able to hear from which side it comes from.

I do not take my car to the dealership for gears. In my experience, they don't do a great job and are not as particular about the amount of noise coming from a rear end. The shop I use guarantees it's work. I've had gears done there twice, both 4.10 installs, and both were flawless.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:58 PM
Karterfred88

Originally Posted by Simon1
Gear whine will increase with speed so don't rule that out. It can also come and go with deceleration, acceleration and coasting. It can also only be present in a certain speed window.

My bearings were replaced last year, along with everything but the axles, and it was howling big time.

They make a tool that looks like a stethoscope with a long metal rod on the end that is used to be placed against various parts to isolate noise. A good shop would do this. They would put it on the lift and check parts for noise.

With a bearing, you should be able to hear from which side it comes from.

I do not take my car to the dealership for gears. In my experience, they don't do a great job and are not as particular about the amount of noise coming from a rear end. The shop I use guarantees it's work. I've had gears done there twice, both 4.10 installs, and both were flawless.
Thanks for the input, but the idea is to get it fixed under warranty. I did think of getting a "Chassis Ears" to try and pinpoint it. But at an additional $200.00 for a tool I'll never use again, I find it hard to justify the investment, after just spending $475.00 for 2 unneeded tires.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:12 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by Karterfred88
I've been trying to resolve a bearing, wheel hub or rear axle wheel bearing noise problem on my 2013 GT. The car was a pleasure to drive till 12,000 miles. It then started making a noise best described as a whirring whine that intensifies with road speed. It increases with road speed only, so I've discounted transmission bearings or gear whine. I have taken it to the selling dealer, who was very polite and gave me a loaner for two days while they inspected and drove the car about 5 miles total, but were unable to hear it. Other than blaming the Pirellis for some minor feathering, they couldn't hear any noise. On the way home, about a 100 mile trip, I turned on my IPhone recorder and was easily able to record the noise. I sent these recordings back to the service rep who says he can't hear anything. Rather than take it back ( a 200 mile round trip) to have a technician ride with me, who apparently can't hear noises in the frequency range I can, I decided to send the clips to a friend, who, using headphones had no problem hearing them. I tried uploading them at AllFordMustangs but they won't play. On this forum there is no option to upload mp3 sounds. I sent a private message to the Ford Rep on here-Deysha- but have not had a response. What is the best way to contact Ford technical and have them listen to and try to determine what this noise is.
I see you sent me a PM on AFM this past Saturday, Karterfred88. Unfortunately, I don’t work weekends. In the meantime, will you please send me another PM with your full name, dealership name, and your best daytime number?

Deysha
Old 04-12-2015, 02:34 PM
Karterfred88

Problem isolated! Drive shaft center bearing failure.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:50 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Congrats! It only took four months!
Old 04-13-2015, 07:50 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Thank you for the update, Karterfred88!

Deysha
Old 04-29-2015, 04:13 PM
speeder52

This sounds exactly like the problem I'm having with my 2013. Have had it in for repair (2) times and still have the same noise. Before I took it to the dealer the second time I had the Service Manager ride with me. He said the noises I was hearing were not normal and needed repair. Left the car with the Service guys. Guess what I still have after getting it back?

They put a total of 1 mile on the odometer although they claimed to have had it on the lift running and road tested it twice! Didn't find anything. Really feel like I'm the one being road tested here.

Can someone help with direction Through Ford to get this problem corrected? Car is getting real close to running out of warranty and I don't think I should have to pay for rear bearings with <30,000 miles on the car.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:27 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by speeder52
This sounds exactly like the problem I'm having with my 2013. Have had it in for repair (2) times and still have the same noise. Before I took it to the dealer the second time I had the Service Manager ride with me. He said the noises I was hearing were not normal and needed repair. Left the car with the Service guys. Guess what I still have after getting it back?

They put a total of 1 mile on the odometer although they claimed to have had it on the lift running and road tested it twice! Didn't find anything. Really feel like I'm the one being road tested here.

Can someone help with direction Through Ford to get this problem corrected? Car is getting real close to running out of warranty and I don't think I should have to pay for rear bearings with <30,000 miles on the car.
I’m happy to get this escalated and reviewed for you, speeder52. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
Old 05-07-2015, 05:48 PM
roegs
1st Gear Member

That bearing is a little noisy on my '09 GT. Just curious, did they replace just the bearing or the whole drive shaft?