Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

GT Suspension Mods and Tires

Old 01-05-2015, 09:26 AM
JCreasy

Default GT Suspension Mods and Tires

I've got an '08 GT coupe that is stock with exception of Hurst shifter. It has 18 inch, Ford rims.

I am thinking of Ford Motor Sport spings and sway bars but I think Eibach makes a kit. Any feedback? Any other braces to consider? I'd like to keep everything FMS but that can be pricey. Not opposed to other brands like Eibach but I don't want to put cheap crap on there.

My car is a daily driver and I drive "... sporty" but not too aggressive. I am really looking to get the best handling the car can deliver (curvy roads as opposed to straight line drag times). So, reducing body roll and getting better turn-in with lower center of gravity is more important to me.

Suggestions?

Finally... Tires? I bought mine used and it has crappy Sumitomo's on it. They will be worn out soon. I am thinking GoodYear Eagles or Bridgestone? I don't need the stickiest ones out there, but not the harder all-season radials either.

I know this is covered (somewhat) on the stick posts and I'll look there too, but my questions are a little more specific based on described use/driving style.

JKC

PS Loving this car.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:46 AM
07 GT E UPP
3rd Gear Member

Well, this is what I did and would recommend... Eibach Pro Lowering kit (lowers about 1 1/2 "), Tokico shocks, Steeda Heavy Duty, front and rear sway bars , Steeda adjustable panhard bar and panhard brace,
I found the Nitto 555's (not sticky ) to be a good wearing tire for regular daily street driving. And, with the changing your springs, you will need a wheel alignment

Last edited by 07 GT E UPP; 01-05-2015 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:26 AM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

JCreasy,

What is your budget? We have some great packages that can take your vehicle to the next level ... it just depends on how dialed in you want to take it.

Also, we have a facility in Valdosta, GA ... not sure where you are located but we have install packages too.

Email me your info & we can start looking at packages & pricing to see what we can do for you. You won't be disappointed in Steeda

You can email me at tim@steeda.com.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 01-05-2015, 08:55 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

I have a combination of Steeda and BMR on my suspension. I love the way my car handles compared to stock. It is very planted, minimal roll and basically does everything I ask of it. I'm also running Nitto tires.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:04 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JCreasy
I've got an '08 GT coupe that is stock with exception of Hurst shifter. It has 18 inch, Ford rims.

I am thinking of Ford Motor Sport spings and sway bars but I think Eibach makes a kit. Any feedback? Any other braces to consider? I'd like to keep everything FMS but that can be pricey. Not opposed to other brands like Eibach but I don't want to put cheap crap on there.

My car is a daily driver and I drive "... sporty" but not too aggressive. I am really looking to get the best handling the car can deliver (curvy roads as opposed to straight line drag times). So, reducing body roll and getting better turn-in with lower center of gravity is more important to me.

Suggestions?

Finally... Tires? I bought mine used and it has crappy Sumitomo's on it. They will be worn out soon. I am thinking GoodYear Eagles or Bridgestone? I don't need the stickiest ones out there, but not the harder all-season radials either.

I know this is covered (somewhat) on the stick posts and I'll look there too, but my questions are a little more specific based on described use/driving style.

JKC

PS Loving this car.
I'm running the Eibach swaybars and UPR control arms. They work well together. The Eibach swaybars, springs, and UPR control arms are all available at www.uprproducts.com.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:24 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Suggestions?

JKC

PS Loving this car.

Hey Jcreasy,

Glad to hear that you are loving the car! What's there not to love?

To be honest, if you are looking to stay with Ford/Ford Racing I would highly recommend pulling the trigger on the Ford Racing Assembled Handling Pack

This kit will come with absolutely everything you need to start carving up the curvy roads!

The kit includes Front Struts (pre-assembled), Rear Shocks, Lowering Springs with jounce stops, Front Sway Bar with bushings, Rear Sway Bar with bushings, Adjustable Rear Panhard Bar, and Front Strut Mount Upgrades.

Staying with an all in one Ford Racing kit would be my recommendation based on what I think you are looking for. If you are not, feel free to reach out and we can continue discussing this!

In regards to tires, the door is essentially wide open in regards to options. I personally am a huge fan of Nittos (both the 555's and the Invos) but there are many great options out there!

Are you mainly looking for a sticky tire around the corners, or a tire that will last you a few seasons?

Hope this helps and I look forward to hearing from you.

-Will
Old 01-07-2015, 10:53 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

OP, Just make sure that if you replace springs with a lower ride height you get different shocks/struts. I got the Tokicos and I really didn't expect to feel a difference when I adjusted them for different driving conditions. But it really was something that made a huge difference.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:34 AM
JCreasy

Thanks, Will.

I think that is what I am looking for and I appreciate your input. I know there are other vendors out there, but if I get something factory matched, at least I know I am in decent shape. (I could probably get a better package by piecemealing it from different sources, but I just don't have the bandwidth to do that research).

Like I said, handling and responsiveness is more important to me than a straight line hook up. Road Atlanta or Sebring.

My point of reference is coming out of a Porsche 996. This car does not accelerate as fast as the 996 (which surprises me), but handles pretty darn well (which also surprises me for a live rear axel). If I can get the car to turn-in and respond just a little bit tighter, I'd be perfectly content.

On tires, I had Michellins on the 996 that wore out every 15k. I finally went to a Continental DWS that are kind of a blend between performance and all season. They have an aggressive tread pattern but harder compound. I put 30k on them with about half wear.

So, I am looking for a tire that looks good and sticks reasonably well (handles rain), but has a reasonable tread life. Frankly, I don't get the car sideways (or even close). I'll take curves sort of zippy, but I've never even approached the limit (sideways at least) with the stock chassis set up.

When I was a kid, GoodYear Eagles came in different compounds and I had the HR rated, which lasted much longer and did fine for me. The ZR's (I think) that came on IROC Z's and 300ZX's wore out quickly.

Again, it is more about "... feel" to me and connecting with the road, as opposed to the ultimate speed lap.

Thanks, again, for your feedback and any other comment.

Regards,

JKC
Old 01-09-2015, 07:23 AM
john@steeda

@JCreasy

If you are looking for better handing I would recommend to check out our front and rear sway bars from Steeda paired with our Sport springs.. I have them personally on my car and it is a night and day difference as well as tested against the other brands.. I also have a bumpsteer kit with x11 ball joints from Steeda. Our items are extremely well known with a lifetime warranty . Many Sema cars use our items as well as the Need For Speed Movie Mustang.

As far as tires - If you want traction I would say go for NT05 tires

But if you want a daily drive tire that is excellent in the wet or the dry pavement that handles well I would go with Nitto INVOs.

Front and Rear Sway bar kit with endlinks- http://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang...-kit-555-1064/

Front and rear sway bar kit WITHOUT endlinks- http://www.steeda.com/steeda-05-10-m...-kit-555-1065/

Bumpsteer kit- http://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang...-kit-555-8106/

Balljoints- http://www.steeda.com/steeda-x5-must...ints-555-8108/

Selection of tires- http://www.steeda.com/2005-2010-mustang-tires/

If you need anything please let me know. I am currently running some deals on suspension items so if you are interested in more info shoot me an email: John@steeda.com or give me a call and I will be happy to answer any questions you may have - 954 960 0774

Thanks and all the best,

John
Old 01-12-2015, 09:46 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Thanks, Will.

I think that is what I am looking for and I appreciate your input. I know there are other vendors out there, but if I get something factory matched, at least I know I am in decent shape. (I could probably get a better package by piecemealing it from different sources, but I just don't have the bandwidth to do that research).

Like I said, handling and responsiveness is more important to me than a straight line hook up. Road Atlanta or Sebring.

My point of reference is coming out of a Porsche 996. This car does not accelerate as fast as the 996 (which surprises me), but handles pretty darn well (which also surprises me for a live rear axel). If I can get the car to turn-in and respond just a little bit tighter, I'd be perfectly content.

On tires, I had Michellins on the 996 that wore out every 15k. I finally went to a Continental DWS that are kind of a blend between performance and all season. They have an aggressive tread pattern but harder compound. I put 30k on them with about half wear.

So, I am looking for a tire that looks good and sticks reasonably well (handles rain), but has a reasonable tread life. Frankly, I don't get the car sideways (or even close). I'll take curves sort of zippy, but I've never even approached the limit (sideways at least) with the stock chassis set up.

When I was a kid, GoodYear Eagles came in different compounds and I had the HR rated, which lasted much longer and did fine for me. The ZR's (I think) that came on IROC Z's and 300ZX's wore out quickly.

Again, it is more about "... feel" to me and connecting with the road, as opposed to the ultimate speed lap.

Thanks, again, for your feedback and any other comment.

Regards,

JKC

Hey JKC,

Sorry about the delay in response!

I completely understand what you are saying, especially coming from a 996.

In regards to a street tire that can handle rain, but still handle a beating around the corners and in a straight line, I would go with a Nitto Invo. I would shoot you in a link to make it easy for you but I'm not sure what wheel size you are running

I run them personally on all of my Mustangs and I feel like they are the perfect balance. I daily drove my 2014 Track Pack 5.0 for about 7 months until winter hit and I bought my jeep (Need to keep the Mustang away from the salt on the roads!). During the time I daily drove the Mustang, They handled great, and I still have probably 75% tread life left. I love them!

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions! I'm just a PM away!

-Will

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT Suspension Mods and Tires