Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Gear install

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 10:22 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Default Gear install

Didn't go smoothly last weekend but this weekend after sitting all week we tore it down and took another shot at it.

After getting her on the rack, removing the watts link, sway bar endlinks, wheels, calipers, rotors, c-clips, axles, carrier retainer, carrier, pinion, and replacing the pinion bearing race:

Name:  E9Zg9r9.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  620.0 KB

Name:  hOC55G5.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  590.4 KB

Some of the trouble I ran into while doing this the first time, last weekend:

Name:  NSMuarp.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  435.0 KB

Reinstalled, painted, and rotated:

Name:  hHUY5VA.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  424.2 KB

Name:  AGPs1x9.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  489.6 KB

Good to go baby! Man do I tear through the gears now. Love me some FR 4.10's.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:11 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

You did the install yourself huh? No whining or grinding? I'm not doubting you, just a tricky procedure
Old 02-06-2015, 11:43 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by drewsky
You did the install yourself huh? No whining or grinding? I'm not doubting you, just a tricky procedure
My cousin, who has done at least 30 ring and pinion swaps, helped and guided me through the entire process. It does whine a tiny bit on WOT acceleration on the drive side but it's because they are 4.10s. Coast side makes no noise at all. The contact patch was textbook, hard to tell from the picture but it's direct center drive and coast side.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:24 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gmoran1469
My cousin, who has done at least 30 ring and pinion swaps, helped and guided me through the entire process. It does whine a tiny bit on WOT acceleration on the drive side but it's because they are 4.10s. Coast side makes no noise at all. The contact patch was textbook, hard to tell from the picture but it's direct center drive and coast side.
It's not because they are 4.10s...

But congrats. Braver man than I!
Old 02-07-2015, 09:27 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
It's not because they are 4.10s...

But congrats. Braver man than I!
What's it from then? Remember, no whine at all at any speeds on the coast side, only on hard acceleration. I would think less teeth per revolution = more noise.

Last edited by gmoran1469; 02-08-2015 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:07 PM
MuscleStangGT05
1st Gear Member

I attempted to do gears myself (mainly my friend did it that has done 10-20 gears before), thought we could do it, even after all the warnings. It is tricky, I mean you are dealing with measurements of .005". If you had the right tools, it would definitely will help too. When we did mine there was a little whine....but it only gets worse, and it definitely won't go away. Ended up finding a shop that did the install for 300 for labor. Had to buy a new set of gears tho, once they whine and you drive on them, they whine for life. Just cuz they are 4.10's doesn't mean they should whine. It is most definitely off somewhere, by as little as .005". With the new install I don't hear anything from the rear, it's just like factory. If you can handle the noise you are a braver man than myself. I kept getting paranoid my rear end was going to explode and cost even more money. Props for doing it yourself though!
Old 02-08-2015, 06:38 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MuscleStangGT05
I attempted to do gears myself (mainly my friend did it that has done 10-20 gears before), thought we could do it, even after all the warnings. It is tricky, I mean you are dealing with measurements of .005". If you had the right tools, it would definitely will help too. When we did mine there was a little whine....but it only gets worse, and it definitely won't go away. Ended up finding a shop that did the install for 300 for labor. Had to buy a new set of gears tho, once they whine and you drive on them, they whine for life. Just cuz they are 4.10's doesn't mean they should whine. It is most definitely off somewhere, by as little as .005". With the new install I don't hear anything from the rear, it's just like factory. If you can handle the noise you are a braver man than myself. I kept getting paranoid my rear end was going to explode and cost even more money. Props for doing it yourself though!
I dunno then, it's not loud, the exhaust almost drowns out the whine. Backlash was set to 0.010" and the contact patch looked good.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:32 PM
MuscleStangGT05
1st Gear Member

It is really hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like its more towards the inside of the teeth on coast side and outside of the teeth on drive side, which is about where my friend and I sat ours. We had whine on acceleration only as well. Every once in a while I could hear it while just coasting. From what I heard it would be okay to run, but it might not last as long. I was just more paranoid than a drug dealer in a cop shop and wanted to get it fixed, but when I was researching it at the time there were a few people that had some whine and were running them with no problems, but personally I figured 500 extra dollars is worth it when you consider the cost of a rear end. But mine probably whined a lot louder than yours it sounds like. By the way, what brake ducting is A49? I've heard of agent 47, is it like that, but for the newer mustangs?
Old 02-08-2015, 08:24 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MuscleStangGT05
It is really hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like its more towards the inside of the teeth on coast side and outside of the teeth on drive side, which is about where my friend and I sat ours. We had whine on acceleration only as well. Every once in a while I could hear it while just coasting. From what I heard it would be okay to run, but it might not last as long. I was just more paranoid than a drug dealer in a cop shop and wanted to get it fixed, but when I was researching it at the time there were a few people that had some whine and were running them with no problems, but personally I figured 500 extra dollars is worth it when you consider the cost of a rear end. But mine probably whined a lot louder than yours it sounds like. By the way, what brake ducting is A49? I've heard of agent 47, is it like that, but for the newer mustangs?
lol no, that's just a typo... it's the a47 kit. Well if what you say is true, and once you run them and they aren't perfect they never will be, then these probably never will be. I'll just check on the periodically and look for excess wear. If it gets bad, I'm out $260 for a new set and a rebuild kit, and I get another shot at doing it right.

Last edited by gmoran1469; 02-08-2015 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:30 PM
MuscleStangGT05
1st Gear Member

Ahhh, do you like it? I've been wanting to do a brake cooling kit....i feel like I toast my rotors during street racing of going up to 100+ then slamming on the brakes for up coming traffic, or most recently, people pulling out in front of me. Is it easy to turn off? Here in Oregon it rains A LOT! So it'd be nice to have the ability to open and close it with ease. I've seen a couple home-made kits, but I've come to learn the cheap way ends up being the expensive way in the long run.

Quick Reply: Gear install