Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2005 GT flushed coolant system - used green antifreeze

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 11:41 PM
Pbreakall

Default 2005 GT flushed coolant system - used green antifreeze

Hello everyone,

Quick question to ease my mind. I flushed my coolant system yesterday. After running it and draining it about 5 different times, it was coming out completely clear. I filled it up with Peak Long Life, which I thought would be the yellow, but it was green.

Does it really matter which antifreeze I put it since I flushed it? Should I be worried at all?
Old 03-18-2015, 05:56 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

It'll be absolutely fine. That's good stuff.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:38 AM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

I'm sure it will be fine but when I replaced my radiator, water pump and thermostat for upgraded parts after 7 years of owning the car, the engine was spotless so I decided to play it safe and went with the oem coolant.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:45 PM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

It's just dye. The important stuff in coolant doesn't color much. The main reason for using a consistent color is that if you mix say, green and red, it can look like you have oil in your coolant. Which is terrifying.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:18 PM
roegs
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JFitz
It's just dye. The important stuff in coolant doesn't color much. The main reason for using a consistent color is that if you mix say, green and red, it can look like you have oil in your coolant. Which is terrifying.
Are you serious?? There are big differences in coolant additives based on the various metals that the coolant comes in contact with. Color is used to help differentiate the various additive combinations.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:22 PM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by roegs
Are you serious?? There are big differences in coolant additives based on the various metals that the coolant comes in contact with. Color is used to help differentiate the various additive combinations.
x2
Since our engines are all aluminium and the radiator is also aluminium, the correct coolant has to be used to minimize the risk of galvanic corrosion and sediments clogging up the cooling system.
The factory recommends Motorcraft Gold concentrate with distilled water and that's what I use.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:08 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

here is some advise, never use "for all makes ans models" anything. there are specific standards for almost everything, and nothing will work on all makes and models. when in doubt, consult your owners manual
Old 04-06-2015, 08:38 PM
Epicpete

I have been selling the universal coolant to customers since it became popular about ten years ago. I've never had a single complaint about it.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:49 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Epicpete
I have been selling the universal coolant to customers since it became popular about ten years ago. I've never had a single complaint about it.
customers wouldnt know when to complain about coolant anyhow, but ask yourself this, if it really worked in all applications as good as factory spec, then why doesnt the factory/ all factories, switch to it? it would save them money. its because it does not meet all specifications, no matter what is written on the label. saving the $1 or 2 not worth the risk to me down the line.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:03 AM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jwog666
customers wouldnt know when to complain about coolant anyhow, but ask yourself this, if it really worked in all applications as good as factory spec, then why doesnt the factory/ all factories, switch to it? it would save them money. its because it does not meet all specifications, no matter what is written on the label. saving the $1 or 2 not worth the risk to me down the line.
This.

People are so focused on saving a few pennies that they don't stop to think a) if they should b) if it's worth it c) if saving now will cost more down the road.

Quick Reply: 2005 GT flushed coolant system - used green antifreeze