Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

De-badging a Boss 302

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 08:42 AM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

Why do you need to have a Boss302?
If the collectible nature of the car doesn't mean much to you, why pay the premium for the Boss? You can save a considerable chunk of change by opting for a GT and upgrading the suspension, wheels, tires, and engine. Plan and shop right and you'll have a better performing car for less than the cost of a Boss anyway.

Not trying to stear you out of it, just trying to find the logic in your query.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:16 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by breathegood
Why do you need to have a Boss302?
If the collectible nature of the car doesn't mean much to you, why pay the premium for the Boss? You can save a considerable chunk of change by opting for a GT and upgrading the suspension, wheels, tires, and engine. Plan and shop right and you'll have a better performing car for less than the cost of a Boss anyway.

Not trying to stear you out of it, just trying to find the logic in your query.
This.

And I will try and steer you out of it. There is a tremendous amount of history behind the Boss 302 and de-badging is removing a piece of that history. If you're not interested in that history, you can really get just as good or better performance from modifying a stock GT.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:17 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Bad idea!
Old 04-21-2015, 09:16 AM
elite130
2nd Gear Member

I say go for it. If I had the money to DD a Boss, I would too. Forget resale, we don't buy these cars for resale, we buy them to drive them. That is what the Mustang is all about. Personally, I'd rather see a boss driven daily without all of the decals and badges and a happy driver behind the wheel over a like-new Boss sitting in a garage in pristine condition with the owner bragging about what the car can do, but has never even came close to the cars limits. But that is just me...
Old 04-21-2015, 11:12 PM
Jouhaux

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate the perspectives.

I've been viewing the 302 as a supremely squared away upgrade package, finely tuned to work as a whole by Ford engineers. Sure, I could assemble the right pieces over time to get to a similar level of performance and sound, but honestly I'm not stoked on modding at this time in my life so there is an appeal of getting that level of performance "out of the box" and straight from Ford itself.

That said, I do certainly get the history factor, so I'm conflicted. I want the pedigree of the Boss, I just don't want the sticker. Even beside the decals, I do want to drive the crap out of it, so yeah, right there I'd be stomping on the collectability.

Maybe I'll do a little research into what it would mean to take on a GT project like this.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:20 AM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

I have nothing against buying a Boss302 debadging, and driving the pi$$ out of it, as long as there is the understanding that it isn't going to hold its value for anyone but you. You asked about resale... thats the bottom line

If you're set on a Boss302, I suggest not modifying it in any way for at least two years. By then you should know whether or not you really want to keep it for the long haul, and you haven't affected its value by anything more than mileage.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:23 PM
Jouhaux

I have nothing against buying a Boss302 debadging, and driving the pi$$ out of it, as long as there is the understanding that it isn't going to hold its value for anyone but you. You asked about resale... thats the bottom line
True enough.

If you're set on a Boss302, I suggest not modifying it in any way for at least two years. By then you should know whether or not you really want to keep it for the long haul, and you haven't affected its value by anything more than mileage.
I like it. That's a great strategy. Two years is probably what it'd take me to commit to a mod like that anyway.
I'll still do some research on goodies like side exhaust and the like, maybe see what kind of performance shops there are in my area. I do love me some internet research.

Thanks all.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:09 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Me, I wouldn't think twice about de-badging it. De-striping it sounds like too much work with too much risk, and without the badges people are probably going to think you've added the stripes to a regular GT yourself anyway. Badges can always be returned to their original locations. Hell, you could add a couple of GT badges just to help the illusion of it being "just a GT with an appearance mod".

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 04-24-2015 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:24 PM
berzerk_1980

Agreed with the others, don't.

But if you must, for goodness sake do the '12 because those reflective stripes on the '13 are hideously expensive to replace.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:47 PM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

It is your car so you do what you want. But I will say I would never in my right mind do that to my Boss ever.

Quick Reply: De-badging a Boss 302