Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

De-badging a Boss 302

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 06:35 PM
Choppertwo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1BAD3V
It is your car so you do what you want. But I will say I would never in my right mind do that to my Boss ever.
Being from that era when the Boss came out and just knowing you had a Boss Mustang,if I had a chance to buy one, I would leave as is, after all , it is A BOSS
Old 04-24-2015, 06:42 PM
kirk35
1st Gear Member

Go for it, if you ever want to replace the stripes they're $75 on ebay. It's just a car, not a piece of history.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:50 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kirk35
Go for it, if you ever want to replace the stripes they're $75 on ebay. It's just a car, not a piece of history.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:37 PM
Choppertwo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kirk35
WHAAAT, it is a piece of history, C-MON
Old 04-26-2015, 08:08 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

A piece of history is an original Boss 302 with a verified history of being driven in the Trans-Am series by people like George Follmer, Dan Gurney, and Parnelli Jones.

Sorry, but paying homage to those few cars doesn't make the new ones "a piece of history". Significant? Perhaps. Special interest? Of course.

Back in the day, I actually watched a couple of the originals that have a real claim to being a part of history accumulate part of that history.

Norm
Old 05-03-2015, 07:41 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
A piece of history is an original Boss 302 with a verified history of being driven in the Trans-Am series by people like George Follmer, Dan Gurney, and Parnelli Jones.

Norm
This.^^^^

The real ones are the 69/70 and that's that.

So OP, have at it!
But I'd get a regular GT, do the suspension improvements and call it a day. Cheaper...
Old 05-03-2015, 12:14 PM
Jouhaux

Originally Posted by pascal
This.^^^^

The real ones are the 69/70 and that's that.

So OP, have at it!
But I'd get a regular GT, do the suspension improvements and call it a day. Cheaper...
Between your guys' feedback and finding a co-worker who is a long-time "mustang guy", I'll be exploring the GT route.

So in that spirit, are you guys aware of a thread or page that lists and maybe costs-out the engine/exhaust/suspension mods that get a GT close to the performance of a 302?
I'll certainly search this out, but wanted to check here 1st.

P.S. pascal, dig your wheels btw. Whatever I end up with will be getting those.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:31 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

My wheels are nothing extraordinary... just 20" bullit style, plentiful really but thanks.

On your project, find a GT with the Brembo package option, add Koni shocks with decent springs like Eibach and you'll have a decent cornering machine believe me.
I'm not up to speed on the price of Koni stuff anymore but I believe $800 or less will get you that set up (including springs)
Do not waste money on after market lower control arms or anything else even if you're gonna track that car.
As for engine performance, a decent tune on a GT is plenty of power to go around corners and more.

Go to the handling section and you'll find mature knowledgeable guys there that have some racing experience.
Plenty of threads about how to make a S197 efficient on a road course.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:19 AM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Me personally Id go the GT route. Ive got 13 Boss and I wanted that car so bad because of the old 69 Boss 429s, love those cars and that's what got me into mustangs. When the new 5.0 came out I wanted one just because of the power and the 5.0, I'm a fox body guy. However once I heard Ford was making a Boss I waited on one.

Now with that being said, If you just want the performance go with a GT and build away. My 5.0 is built all to hell but its just a 93 LX. I wouldn't do it to a 93 Cobra. My Boss is modified but nothing I cant return to stock, Headers, H-pipe, cat-back. I was going to put a blower on it but decided against it.

Pretty much it comes down to its your car, do what you want. Some people will like it, others will not.
Old 05-16-2015, 03:24 AM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

Personally, I think it's kind of silly seeking the approval of people on the internet. If you want to do something, do it for yourself, and not to make some people you don't know happy.

I think the current numbers are 9,000,000 mustangs having been produced and sold since 1965, so in no way are you *ruining* anything. If it was a 2015 GT350R and one of 37, that's something completely different, but it's not.

I *do* however think it is kinda funny that you just said you're not really in the mood to mod a car, but your first plans if you buy the Boss 302 is modify it (appearance mods are still mods).

(don't take this as meaning that I don't support debadging something, my old car was a completely de-badged 2000 GT, completely stealth).

So yeah, if it's what *you* want, go for it, your whole priority should be making *yourself* happy.

Quick Reply: De-badging a Boss 302