Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

500rwhp 3V

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 10:05 PM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

boost wont kill a motor, Forgot where I read it but when it comes to cylinder pressures, adding 5 PSI of boost is only a very small % of cylinder pressure increase.

what kills our motors is torque, add in to much torque for the stock rods and they just let go.

unless of course its a bad tune and detonates, then any other changes dont matter
Old 04-28-2015, 11:58 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BismoFunyuns
Just because I'm challenging their opinions doesn't mean I'm blowing them off asshat. If they want to stop giving their opinion because I disagree then their opinion isn't worth **** to begin with. I'm not going to base a decision like this off of 3 peoples opinions, I want more opinions.
I think he was being rather easy on you. As far as I'm concerned I hope you waste all your money on some stupid choice and look like a jacka ss. In fact, go sell your mustang and get a lifted four wheel drive truck cause it seems like your only about 5' tall.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:44 AM
BismoFunyuns

Originally Posted by Simon1
I think he was being rather easy on you. As far as I'm concerned I hope you waste all your money on some stupid choice and look like a jacka ss. In fact, go sell your mustang and get a lifted four wheel drive truck cause it seems like your only about 5' tall.
Kill yourself, PLEASE. Apparently this website is full of know it alls LOL, I'm not ****ing stupid I've seen 500rwhp done before on the stock 3v. I'm 5'11 FYI, and i'd love to come to ca to kick your ***.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:34 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

I've heard it's not about how much power you make, it's about how much stress is being put on the motor. A car without headers on 10psi should be making 460-480rwhp. Add long tubes and exhaust and you'll actually lose boost but gain about 15-25rwhp. Because your motor is being more efficient, but not adding any additional stress on the motor.
It's high the cylinder pressures that break stock powdered metal rods. You might lose boost and gain HP by adding headers but remember that boost is reflection of intake manifold pressure, not cylinder pressure. Headers reduce pumping losses and allow the engine to cram more air/fuel mixture into the cylinders, leading to higher cylinder pressures.
Detonation causes sudden spikes in cylinder pressure that can break piston ring lands as well as the rods. Forged rods and pistons can withstand higher cylinder pressures (and HP) without breaking but if you're running a stock bottom end, limit the output to ~450rwhp to reduce the risk of blowing a window through the block.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:44 AM
bret1197

Rods....rods...rods...ford always seems to leave a weakness for people to find out about the hard way. Your tune better be spot on and pray you don't get some bad fuel...better to enjoy the car running than have it sitting wishing it was running...jmho
Old 04-29-2015, 01:06 PM
TekMan05
2nd Gear Member

I'm considering a procharger down the road as well but prefer N/A power. That's why I'm saving for the b326 block and maybe a pair of heads. Isn't there someone on here running that block? Anything you can chime on about it?
Old 04-29-2015, 02:16 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Kill yourself, PLEASE. Apparently this website is full of know it alls LOL, I'm not ****ing stupid I've seen 500rwhp done before on the stock 3v. I'm 5'11 FYI, and i'd love to come to ca to kick your ***.
In before threadlock.

/popcorn
Old 04-29-2015, 03:19 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

What kills the stock rods is stress. You can run 20psi boost and not kill the rods if you don't rev above 6250rpms, don't detonate and don't get a dead hook on launch.
Detonation increased the torque on the rod of that cylinder exponentially and before teh piston is in the down cycle, rods buckle and give your block the window mod.
With higher RPM, it's the stress of the piston weight in the transition from upstrokes and downstrokes, the faster they are moving the more the impact of the transitions.
with a dead-hook, there is simply too much torque for the thin rods and they just buckle under the load.

So if you want the extra power for drag racing, then you also need to build the engine since you will want to be hooking. If you want the extra power for road racing and accelerating while already moving then you may be able to do 500RWHP safely... but there are no guarantees, the general rule of thumb as you've seen is that above 450RWHP you need to plan on accepting the fact that your engine could blow at any given time and you should have a rainy day fund to replace the engine when/if it does blow. Some have gone 20-30k miles with over 500RWHP, others have had it blowup withing 10 miles... you've got to pay to play.
As far as the cams, you should really replace them with blower cams if you're going with a blower. You're guy was right when he said they aren't ideal, there is a big difference in air/fuel delivery between naturally aspirated and blown. I'd look into the various blower grinds from comp cams or even brenspeeds detroit rocker for blown cars.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:30 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Apparently you increased the know-it-all numbers when you joined. You're one of those internet browsing bench racers that research the crap out of something to justify your choice, then ask questions to people, only to argue back with them.

There are a lot of us here that have made bad choices on builds, tunes, mods of all kinds etc, mostly because of a lack of knowledge and expereince. Those of us, and yes I am one of them, who have figured out how to make our cars fast, listened, watched and learned what to do and not to do. And we are also humble enough to recognize when someone knows what they are talking about and shut up. I suggest you do the same. Find a path someone has already taken where they were succesful and that would works for what you want and follow it.

And lastly, listen more and opine less. You will learn more. The saying goes that it's better to let someone think you're an idiot, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt. I think you've done a fine job of introducing yourself as someone the more experienced members here will remember and treat accordingly.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:15 PM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TekMan05
I'm considering a procharger down the road as well but prefer N/A power. That's why I'm saving for the b326 block and maybe a pair of heads. Isn't there someone on here running that block? Anything you can chime on about it?
Already did chime in, look at the first page of this thread. A B326 will handle just about anything you can throw at it N/A or F/I-wise.

Quick Reply: 500rwhp 3V