Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

3 Valve build-Up Ideas.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 08:53 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dlazrael
Interested on info here..

B302 v the B326, I am looking (prolly a year from now) for one of the two. DD, some strip time, no auto-x, do like to carve some curves though.... I'd be moving my W140AX Whipple over to it... so what's a better idea? The aluminum 302 or a iron 326? End goal 600-700 rwhp (with all supporting mods etc)... Just looking for some ideas
I know nothing about making big power... but I'd say send off your aluminum block for a 3.7" bore with darton sleeves, put in some good pistons,rods, and a mild stroker crank, and then send your heads out to be ported. If you don't go with a stroke, you're looking at 5.0L with the stock crank, if you do stroke you could be looking at up to 5.3L easy. But what do I know.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:20 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by danzcool
I know nothing about making big power... but I'd say send off your aluminum block for a 3.7" bore with darton sleeves, put in some good pistons,rods, and a mild stroker crank, and then send your heads out to be ported. If you don't go with a stroke, you're looking at 5.0L with the stock crank, if you do stroke you could be looking at up to 5.3L easy. But what do I know.

Dripping with Sarcasm.... but who would do that work, and at what cost? I'm not sure where to go on piecing it together. But i am definately open to suggestions
Old 05-10-2015, 03:14 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dlazrael
Dripping with Sarcasm.... but who would do that work, and at what cost? I'm not sure where to go on piecing it together. But i am definately open to suggestions
You can do a one-stop shop or piece it together, Darton does machining and sleeve installation... I suspect you could also get Brenspeed, Livernois, and JPC to package & do it for you and re-assemble the short block (I think you'd only get the block done with Darton). Then there are all the engine builders that advertise in the mustang magazines, MMR and CHP come to mind.

I think the sleeves/machining on my block was $2000, then you need rods/rings and pistons... stuff adds up quick after that.

For holding up to 700HP, probably either block from Brenspeed would be fine... but actually getting there with the whipple 2.3, I'd say go for the head work (I think Livernois and MMR allow you to send in you heads for porting, and then there's the ford racing heads you can just outright buy), and the bigger displacement, then make sure the exhaust is as free flowing as possible. That will allow you to make more power at lower boost, which means lower IAT in the manifold, which keeps the PCM from pulling timing.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:55 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by danzcool
Sleeving the stock aluminum block is an expensive and time-consuming process so I wouldn't recommend it. It would be far easier and cheaper just to have the cylinders honed +0.002" and install a stroker kit with a 3.800" stroke crank that'll increase the displacement to 302ci (5.0L). The alternative is to buy a B302 short block and either keep the stock short block as a spare or sell it.
If 302ci still doesn't float your boat, get the B326 (5.3L) and throw anything you like at it including the kitchen sink. :lol: That block will handle over 1000hp without even batting an eyelid.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:18 AM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

For 700 rwhp, you are talking around 825-875 flywheel hp ....I would go B326 for the iron block. I have read that at ultra high hp levels the aluminum block tends to distort at the bottom of the cylinder bores, and that's the reason Ford started making the big bore iron modular block
Old 05-10-2015, 08:27 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe the B302 or the FRPP A46X are offered anymore. I don't see them listed on Brenspeed's site anyways.

I hope I'm wrong, I really want one.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:42 AM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CMcNam
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe the B302 or the FRPP A46X are offered anymore. I don't see them listed on Brenspeed's site anyways.

I hope I'm wrong, I really want one.
They do sell the B302 kit (crank, rods and pistons) and you either have to have your own block, have the machine work done and get it assembled, or they can do all of that for you using your block. The B302 internals (except for pistons and rings) are the same stuff used in the B326. They just don't have B302 short blocks stocked. Sometimes they can furnish a complete built short block outright depending on if they have a good stock block for a core. When I had them do my B326, I sold my stock long block to Brent. Would be cool to know who is running my old block.

Last edited by jpplaw; 05-10-2015 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:22 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dino Dino Bambino
Sleeving the stock aluminum block is an expensive and time-consuming process so I wouldn't recommend it. It would be far easier and cheaper just to have the cylinders honed +0.002" and install a stroker kit with a 3.800" stroke crank that'll increase the displacement to 302ci (5.0L). The alternative is to buy a B302 short block and either keep the stock short block as a spare or sell it.
If 302ci still doesn't float your boat, get the B326 (5.3L) and throw anything you like at it including the kitchen sink. :lol: That block will handle over 1000hp without even batting an eyelid.
Yeah, boring and sleeving the aluminum block runs about 2k and takes a few weeks depending on how backlogged the machine shop is. For the power level he's talking about, he might as well go with the iron boss block, 2007 to 2010 GT500's used bigger iron blocks that weighed more than the 4.6 aluminum blocks, so realistically the weight isn't an issue that can't be dealt with.
Old 05-10-2015, 04:37 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

What's a realistic power outlook for bored, honed 302 stroker, coupled with a 10-rib dedicated 13-14psi on the w140ax; into mac LT headers/prochamber ?
Old 05-12-2015, 12:28 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Just looking at the OPs original post.

Please look around at some different clutches. The SPEC Stage 2 has been notorious in the past for being a gigantic piece of crap. Just search around a bit and decide for yourself.

Quick Reply: 3 Valve build-Up Ideas.