Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Supercharger for 2008 GT

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 06:50 PM
J.mitchell.meyer

Default Supercharger for 2008 GT

Hi All,

I've got a 2008 GT that I've had for about 3 years now. I've done some minor mods here and there but I've decided it's time to swing for the fences. I debated on a supercharger or turbocharger for quite awhile but have finally decided on a supercharger. My mind is about 99% made up on that so it would take a pretty compelling argument to convince me otherwise.

Anyways...My initial plan is to purchase the Kenne Bell Stage II kit and have the car tuned by Lee Blankenship near where I live. I'm planning on running at low psi (~9-10 psi) for the first year or so. Once I have saved some more money then I will build the internals, upgrade the cooling system, and upgrade the waterpump.

My questions for you guys are:
1.) Is purchasing from KB the way to go or is there anywhere else I can look to possibly save some money down the line?

2.) My plan is to tune the car to around 425-450 hp (hopefully) with the S/C addition. Then hope to end up around 550 after I am able to upgrade everything. Does anybody see anything else I am missing in order to reassure that I will not be pushing the block too hard? I'd like to not have this thing blow up on me anytime soon.

3.) Will the 2.6 KB supercharger fit under the stock hood? Are there any other things I need to purchase initially with the S/C (other than sparkplugs)? Maybe gages? Not sure how crucial those are at first.

4.) Any arguments for a different supercharger that can be used in order to make similar gains for the same $? I'm not exactly set on the KB but it is definitely leading the race at this point.

Car goals to help with any of these questions
Most of my initial mods were for appearance improvements. The only performance upgrades I have are gears, CAI, exhaust (x pipe), and a Bama tune from AM. I have debated between selling mine and buying a GT500 but my GT looks almost exactly like I'd want my GT500 to look so I've decided to just build. Right now it is not my daily driver so when I drive it I just want to be able to go fast (Ricky Bobby style). I'm currently not building it to take to the track but I may look into that more as the build progresses. It is mainly just for enjoyment purposes and to have fun building.

I've uploaded some pictures just in case you all were curious. Appreciate the help/advice/criticism.
Attached Thumbnails Supercharger for 2008 GT-1.jpg   Supercharger for 2008 GT-2.jpg   Supercharger for 2008 GT-3.jpg   Supercharger for 2008 GT-4.jpg  
Old 05-22-2015, 03:23 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Why not go with a Roush TVS/R2300, plenty of room to grow later on and you can get it installed by Brenspeed right there in Indiana,can't go wrong with Brenspeed.

The kenne bell's are known for running hot, although they do look good under the hood.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:03 AM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

I'm very happy with my Roush. I picked it because of big gains and zero maintence. Installation wasn't too bad either. I don't think it would have a problem getting you to 550 hp.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:01 AM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

DOB manifold and m122 setup

easy to hit the 450hp mark, great cooling, easy to upgrade
Old 05-24-2015, 05:32 AM
loots06
5th Gear Member

Plenty of other options other than KB...
Old 05-27-2015, 12:17 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Im not too familar with how well whipple will do at the higher PSI levels, I'm sure someone will be able to chime in. Seems like for driving around town on pump fuel, you can do 15 psi fairly easily with the KB. The Roush TVS or KB 2.6 or 2.6H would do it just fine.

The regular 2.6 will get you right around 475 rwhp with the stock tune. With a built motor running pump fuel on a safe tune I run 540 rwhp @15psi. I am sur it gets hot around town but I can't tell just driving around.

The 2.6h is designed to run at 15 psi or higher. I wish I had chosen it instead...

I do know that at the track I gained .4 and 4 mph just by adding an ice water system I use only at the track.

The SC was not difficult to install.

People give them a bad rep for getting hot but I just haven't had that problem. Then again, I did customize the HE system. I'm sure there is a little bit of truth to it.

If there is a place near you that does the TVS install, I would seriously consider it.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:11 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

brenspeed is a great shop. They sell the rousch there which is a good supercharger. What part of indiana are you from.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:08 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

You twin screw guys are all nuts, way to much headache with cooling and belt slip. Get a turbo and forget about it.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:55 PM
Kyle@ROUSH
Former Sponsor

I'd have to suggest one of our TVS units, they're aren't as race orientated as some of the other methods.

We've got some good options, if you ever see yourself building a motor and wanting to make some big numbers I'd suggest you lean towards one of our dual belt set ups. If you want to start out on the lower end and then go big later you could get the phase 1 now and then go phase two later or do an aftermarket pulley and custom tune and make even more.

http://www.roushperformance.com/part...2005-2009.html
Old 05-30-2015, 09:12 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sactown
You twin screw guys are all nuts, way to much headache with cooling and belt slip. Get a turbo and forget about it.
Don't poke the bear...

Quick Reply: Supercharger for 2008 GT