Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

3v FI 1/4 times

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 09:23 PM
BismoFunyuns

Default 3v FI 1/4 times

Trying to get an idea of what to expect.. So all you 3v guys out there with a stock motor with any FI, what kind of power are you making and what kind of times/traps are you getting?
Old 05-25-2015, 01:06 AM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

That depends on which FI you are talking about. Let's compare apples to apples. There's tons of threads about FI HP and times.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:17 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BismoFunyuns
Trying to get an idea of what to expect.. So all you 3v guys out there with a stock motor with any FI, what kind of power are you making and what kind of times/traps are you getting?
Anywhere from 350-500 rwhp.

13's to high 10's.

Too many variables to get more specific.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:25 PM
BismoFunyuns

Originally Posted by Simon1
Anywhere from 350-500 rwhp.

13's to high 10's.

Too many variables to get more specific.
After going fi I want to be about 500-515rwhp.. I'm going for 10.9s-11.2s and getting to about 122-125 on traps. Does this sound about right on good tires and suspension? And maybe some weight reduction..

Also I was thinking about adding a stall on this car but I heard that you actually lose power adding a higher stall.. Is this true?
Old 05-28-2015, 05:16 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

After going fi I want to be about 500-515rwhp.. I'm going for 10.9s-11.2s and getting to about 122-125 on traps. Does this sound about right on good tires and suspension? And maybe some weight reduction..
Yup, sounds about right but I'd be concerned about the stock connecting rods holding together at that power level.

Also I was thinking about adding a stall on this car but I heard that you actually lose power adding a higher stall.. Is this true?
You might put down less power on the dyno due to the extra torque converter slippage below the stall point but in the real world, you'll get into the powerband earlier and obtain quicker ETs.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:34 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

All of that is possible.

The stock motor is at it's extreme limits where you want to be.

If you had a twin screw of some type, configured to make around 500 rwhp, proper rear gearing, good wheel/tire set up, automatic with a good convertor, it's very possible.

Your trap would be in the low 120's.

Dyno numbers are cool and all but there's more to going to fast than a nice HP number.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:16 PM
BismoFunyuns

Originally Posted by Simon1
All of that is possible.

The stock motor is at it's extreme limits where you want to be.

If you had a twin screw of some type, configured to make around 500 rwhp, proper rear gearing, good wheel/tire set up, automatic with a good convertor, it's very possible.

Your trap would be in the low 120's.

Dyno numbers are cool and all but there's more to going to fast than a nice HP number.
I was leaning more towards a centri such as the vortech.. Aren't they a little more lenient/efficient on the motors than the twinscrews?

And yes I know that's at the very end on this motor, hopefully it will last long enough that I'll be saved up for a built motor to put in.. Also on the stall, I've heard that locking the convertor will gain most of the power you lost but it's supposedly bad for the trans? I dont really understand how stalls work honestly. If I made 500rwhp without a stall and then lost power with a stall, wouldn't that hurt my trap speed?
Old 05-28-2015, 02:51 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

The best I ever ran with FI and the stock block was 11.3x @ 126, with the 5spd still in the car. I was making 520rwhp. You could probably crack a 10.xx at a similiar power level with an auto. But IMO your motor won't last terribly long, if I had to do it again, I would build the bottom end and maybe do the heads before pushing 500+ to the tires.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:57 PM
BismoFunyuns

Originally Posted by sactown
The best I ever ran with FI and the stock block was 11.3x @ 126, with the 5spd still in the car. I was making 520rwhp. You could probably crack a 10.xx at a similiar power level with an auto. But IMO your motor won't last terribly long, if I had to do it again, I would build the bottom end and maybe do the heads before pushing 500+ to the tires.
Damn you're going fast haha.. What elevation was the track you ran it on and what kinda 60fts were you getting?
Old 05-28-2015, 04:00 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Damn you're going fast haha.. What elevation was the track you ran it on and what kinda 60fts were you getting?
mid 1.4 60ft's probably 100ft elevation.

Quick Reply: 3v FI 1/4 times