Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Air intakes.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 11:36 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shane780
"The numbers are the numbers ... we have done our testing & we have seen peak gains of up to 44 HP."
The key language is " ...... we have done our testing....".

What would we expect? We put on our equipment & it did do very much, but please buy it anyway!

I'm not saying anything other than, "I need to see scientifically done independent testing" rather than what the manufacturer, or someone connected to the manufacturer says is fact! Come on! There was a lot of testing done on cigarettes proving that they weren't a problem!

(1.) Someone independent put a high flow air filter like a K&N in a stock 2015 Mustang GT & do dyno testing, then (2.) Do nothing but put on a CAI. Then dyno it again & see if the HP goes up 44 HP. It would even be a good idea to not let the guy running the dyno to know which run had the CAI. Forget running it down the track with all the uncontrolled variables that could affect the results! Come on, didn't any of you guys take science in school & study how to do a scientific experimen eliminating uncontrolled variables like what the driver does in drag strip testing? Does every run come out exactly the same when you run the same setup? Of course not!

Last edited by Mr. D; 07-02-2015 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:10 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dino Dino Bambino
Steeda's claim of a 44hp and 52ft/lbs gain for their CAI & tuner is a load of hot air (or BS if you like)! The best you can expect from a CAI & tuner on an '11 GT is 25rwhp.
And I'm willing to bet that ~20rwhp out of the 25rwhp gain is from the tune alone. Note that the 420hp quoted by Ford for the '13-'14 GT was for 91 octane fuel while their 435hp rating for the '15 GT is for 93 octane fuel, so I'd say the difference is in the tune.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:24 AM
Shane780
1st Gear Member

Default Factory Airbox vs. Aftermarket cold air

The fact is, cars with a tune run faster then those with no tune.

No one has been able to show on the strip that an aftermarket cold air intake performs better then the stock air box.

Ford does not sell, a cold air intake for the GT or the Boss. Ford sells an adapter kit for the Boss manifold that utilizes the factory air box. The Boss intake being a short runner design flows more air then the stock manifold at high rpm.

The fact of the matter is your factory cold air induction is very well designed by Ford and flows enough air for the Boss 302.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:33 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

Mr. D,

We are talking about 2011-2014 ... not the 2015.

Yes, the tune is where you will see the most power ... but the CAI just adds to the combo. On the dyno we typically see 9 to 12 horsepower over the stock airbox.

There is always going to be the debate on CAIs ... those who run them are very happy with the results. Those that keep the stock airbox are just as happy.

Best Regards,

TJ

Last edited by tj@steeda; 07-04-2015 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:50 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Aftermarket CAIs are snake oil. 2010+ comes with an CAI that is more than sufficient unless you have forced induction. Even then, I have my doubts.

When the 2010 came out it was quickly realized it was a vast improvement over previous years. If you look back to posts around that time period you will see many vendors conceding that aftermarket units don't do much for 2010+.

Personally, I lose respect in a company when I see them pushing this snake oil so aggressively. It's highway robbery to charge $300, $400, $500+ dollars for a hollow plastic tube. Aftermarket CAI = throttle body spacer.

The gains are from the tune. If an aftermarket CAI was so great then Ford obviously would have put that in the Boss 302 vehicles. Ford engineers have even stated, publically, that aftermarket CAIs won't improve performance.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:26 AM
sirmrgeorgewalter

I highly doubt you'll get the 44hp gain,even with the tune. I agree that you'll get small HP and torque gain tho. I believe that all a cold air intake does is reduce air restriction into the intake. There for you could take your air filter off and replace wit a sock and some zip ties to get the same results. Besides that, it's 500 somethin dollhairs for some plastic and a 50 dollhair K&N air filter. Then another 400 for the tune. So it's about a grand for "44 hp"?? Worth it?? Not tryn 2 be a smart ***, I'm not a smart man, but that's what it is 2 me.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:38 AM
1985GTto2013GTCSV

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
The CAI you are looking at cannot be used without a tune ... we do sell non-tune CAIs here ... that is why it is showing only numbers with a tune:

http://www.steeda.com/steeda-cold-ai...9-gt-555-3201/

Best Regards,

TJ
The real question is does the tune really need a CAI...or is the gain from the CAI really insignificant over a tune alone, and if it is really 7-9 HP can that be accomplished with a simple drop in air filter instead of a CAI?

Last edited by 1985GTto2013GTCSV; 07-08-2015 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:24 AM
sirmrgeorgewalter

Kinda weird that there are no power specs for the CAI with no tune. I may be blind and didn't see it but I dunno....
Old 07-08-2015, 10:47 AM
sirmrgeorgewalter

Steeda 2009-09 Shelby GT500 Ultimate Power Pack 555-3931 | Free Shipping! http://www.steeda.com/steeda-shelby-...pack-555-3931/ (Share from CM Browser)

Now look at this CAI. The hp specs are basically at the top of the description. Kinda weird how there's no specs on the CAI'S with no tune..... u only get that much of a HP increase because ur making the motor boost that extra 3 psi with the pulley and the programmer. The rest of the package is just a couple of freebies, in my opinion....
Old 07-08-2015, 04:54 PM
Shane780
1st Gear Member

Ive noticed the following.

5.0 GT No air intake from ford.
Boss 302 No air intake from ford.

Cobra Jet Intake , requires air intake,air intake available from ford.

Ford racing super charger kit utilizes the stock air box.
Roush stage one uses the stock air box.
Paxton supercharger kit uses the stock air box.
Vortech supercharger kit uses the stock air box.

This gives me the overall impression that you need a lot of airflow to require an upgrade from the factory box.

But if you want the looks or the sound go for whichever intake you like the most, and fits your fancy.

Quick Reply: Air intakes.