Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Air intakes.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 11:44 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sirmrgeorgewalter
Kinda weird that there are no power specs for the CAI with no tune. I may be blind and didn't see it but I dunno....
That's because most CAI's can't be run on these newer cars without a tune, the engine flips out and says there is a lean condition.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:07 PM
Ricks2014GT

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
Mr. D,

We are talking about 2011-2014 ... not the 2015.

Yes, the tune is where you will see the most power ... but the CAI just adds to the combo. On the dyno we typically see 9 to 12 horsepower over the stock airbox.

There is always going to be the debate on CAIs ... those who run them are very happy with the results. Those that keep the stock airbox are just as happy.

Best Regards,

TJ

That last statement says everything. im sold. no cai for me. especially one that costs well over $500. you just saved me a bunch of money. thank you.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:25 PM
J7erry
1st Gear Member

Forgot where I saw it, but I remember reading ,when I got mine last year, that the stock air box provides more air than the engine can use, so why get a CAI? I just got tune and run great
Old 08-18-2015, 10:51 PM
Goooofaster

So I WAS going to get a CAI and tuner for my 14 GT. But between the vents on the hood being in a bad place making me initially hesitate and reading this thread I'm not going to get a CAI. But what should be my next purchase? What type of tuner should I get?
Old 08-19-2015, 11:32 AM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Goooofaster
So I WAS going to get a CAI and tuner for my 14 GT. But between the vents on the hood being in a bad place making me initially hesitate and reading this thread I'm not going to get a CAI. But what should be my next purchase? What type of tuner should I get?
What mods do you have so far? How extreme do you plan to get in the distant future?

Some basic stuff to start:

Cat Back Exhaust
Tune
Suspension (springs/shocks/camber plates)
Wheels/Tires

What part of CA are you in? I'm in the Bay Area and have an SCT Tuner for sale if interested.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:22 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Shane780
Ive noticed the following.

5.0 GT No air intake from ford.
Boss 302 No air intake from ford.

Cobra Jet Intake , requires air intake,air intake available from ford.

Ford racing super charger kit utilizes the stock air box.
Roush stage one uses the stock air box.
Paxton supercharger kit uses the stock air box.
Vortech supercharger kit uses the stock air box.

This gives me the overall impression that you need a lot of airflow to require an upgrade from the factory box.

But if you want the looks or the sound go for whichever intake you like the most, and fits your fancy.
Not arguing whether or not a CAI is worth it but some of your facts are a little off.

Ford did improve their air inlets on 2010+ models, they have a fender well fed fresh air inlet on the bottom half of the intake. It was an improvement over the 2005-2009 intakes.

The Boss doesn't require an upgrade of the OEM air intake because air intake isn't the restriction on the new cars. They did however create a Boss Intake Manifold which to be honest doesn't do much for a stock vehicle (actually lose bottom end power). The Boss has some other tune modifications that take advantage of the intake manifold and also shift the power band to slightly higher RPMS

Cobra Jet, highly modified engine, of course it requires an upgrade to the air intake since that does become a bottleneck.

FRPP Superchargers do include modified air boxes (not stock):
http://www.lethalperformance.com/sho...rs/ford-racing

https://fordperformanceracingparts.c...KeyField=24769

Roush Stage 1 has always been a visual (looks/body) mod kit only. It's never had performance goodies so of course a CAi and/or tune would not be included.

Paxton and Vortech want to hit various price points and make their kits 'upgradeable" so the basic system doesn't offer a CAI. It is an upgrade though.

http://www.paxtonauto.com/product.php?id=274
http://www.paxtonauto.com/product.php?id=279
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/page.php?id=30181

Personally the Stock air box is good enough and even better than some of the aftermarket offerings. The reason is that all of the expensive open element "CAI" just suck hot air in from the engine bay which is counterproductive to what they are intended to do. Suck "Cold' air in to reduce intake temps and give denser air for more power.

The majority of power these days is in the tune for a stock car.

P.S. Goooofaster SCT is the better tuner for mustangs. Diablo is good but the SCT (at least in the 2014 and older cars) offered more parameters that could be modified in the Mustangs.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:04 PM
Goooofaster

Originally Posted by Thrashard340
What mods do you have so far? How extreme do you plan to get in the distant future?

Some basic stuff to start:

Cat Back Exhaust
Tune
Suspension (springs/shocks/camber plates)
Wheels/Tires

What part of CA are you in? I'm in the Bay Area and have an SCT Tuner for sale if interested.
I'm in Lemoore south of Fresno. So far I just have Roush exhaust. I wanna make her faster and figured I'd start with the small things that's why I originally planned on a CAI. It's my daily driver as well so I don't want to go to big..yet but I need more power.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:11 PM
hahner01@hotmail.com

Post CAI Issues

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum but in need of some help. I have a 2005 mustang gt with a 62mm bbk twin throttle body just installed but with my roush CAI it is triggering issues with my MAF and will bog out after few minutes of running. How can i fix this problem? Do i need to purchase a new tune for the parts to install? Will it be fixed if i do so?

2005 mustang gt
kooks racing exhaust, BBK power plus throttle body, Roush short throw shifter, Ford racing lowering springs.