Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Newbie with a clutch ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 09:56 AM
Chasin'Tail

Default Newbie with a clutch ?

I recently bought a super charged 2014 5.0. It is my first car, always had trucks before. Also my first manual. So I have embarrassed myself a time or two, including making the salesman spill his coffee. I have gotten pretty good at driving it and I really love the car with one exception, I hate how SLOW I have to release the clutch to keep from upsetting the car, and by that I mean that dreaded jerk. I can live with the slow release when just cruising around town but hate having to do it when I really wanna run through the gears fast. 1st to 2nd is the worst, seems like I am losing a lot of time. So my question is am I just doing something wrong? And if so I would greatly appreciate any tips. Also would any aftermarket clutch engage quicker without upsetting the car? Sorry if this seems like a dumb question but after asking a few folks they just say that I will get used to it, which may be the case.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:34 PM
berzerk_1980

Default Newbie with a clutch ?

You said "newbie..."

What do you mean by the dreaded jerk?

If the car is bucking back and forth, you're probably letting the clutch out too quickly at low RPM. You need to feather the throttle more if this is what you want to do with the clutch.

Do you have 3.73s in this car? That sounds like a lot to handle in a supercharged 5.0.

Also, the tune for the supercharger can play a part in the throttle mapping. Do you know who tuned it?
Old 07-26-2015, 11:21 PM
Chasin'Tail

Car jerks slightly at high rpm, I'm assuming this is happening because I am letting the clutch out to quickly. This is were I have an issue. I don't like having to realease the clutch that slowly. Would an aftermarket clutch correct this, or is this just the way a manual is. May sound like a stupid question but this is my first manual. Car has 3:73's with a phase 1 Roush tune. Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:51 AM
om3n

Originally Posted by Chasin'Tail
Car jerks slightly at high rpm, I'm assuming this is happening because I am letting the clutch out to quickly. This is were I have an issue. I don't like having to realease the clutch that slowly. Would an aftermarket clutch correct this, or is this just the way a manual is. May sound like a stupid question but this is my first manual. Car has 3:73's with a phase 1 Roush tune. Thanks for the reply.
Practice, practice, practice. You will learn how to handle the clutch properly after a while- when I got my 5.0 with 3:73 it was my first manual car as well, and it took me about a month to get really comfortable with cruising around-town style shifting. After that, I started practicing shifting fast from 2-3 and 3-4, and eventually I learned how to shift from 1-2 and N-1 smoothly with minimal clutch-time. Took me a full summer to get comfortable with shifting while pushing the car. 3 years later, I've street raced dozens of cars, been to some winding mountain roads (tail of the dragon and similar roads) which required mastery of engine braking and down shifting while going around tight corners, all second nature now. Just takes practice

BTW, it was the salesman's fault for bringing coffee on a test drive for a car like that
Old 07-27-2015, 08:48 PM
Chasin'Tail

Appreciate the advice, I'll keep at it. I told that salesman to atleast put a lid on his coffee.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:56 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

Are you trying to " match revs" as you shift? Btw, the higher th hp the bigger the jerk, it's going to take a few months of driving, then one day you won't even think about shifting.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:13 AM
Chasin'Tail

The only time I rev match is when I downshift. Never tryed it while upshifting.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:58 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, try reving the engine slightly higher than it needs to be. I shift from 1st to second at 3,000 RPM, and blip the gas as I let out the clutch to keep the RPM at 2,000. On my 3.7, the 1st to second shift is the toughest to keep smooth, but I have about half the hp as you do. You do not want to slip the clutch on every shift, you will wear it out early.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:36 PM
Chasin'Tail

When you say slip the clutch are you talking about riding it? I really only do that a little when pulling out from a stop. Or do you mean letting the clutch out really slow until car goes into selected gear. Really appreciate all the advice.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:30 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I mean when you shift from 1st to second, if you rev it too much, and let the clutch out slowly, the clutch is slipping. If you match the revs, you can let the clutch out quickly without slipping the clutch.

Quick Reply: Newbie with a clutch ?