Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Safest way to jack up s197 onto 4 Jackstands??

Old 07-29-2015, 11:37 AM
SmokeGhostGT

Default Safest way to jack up s197 onto 4 Jackstands??

What's up guys,

Im new to the DIY car mods world and Im trying to Lift my 07 GT onto 4 Jackstands. My first project was installing a HURST short throw shifter, for which I lifted the front by the "K member"(one wheel at a time) per the manual and used the factory intended jackpoints to place my jackstands. The project I want to knock out today is a repaint of my wheels, getting the car onto 4 jackstands would streamline this, but my question is what is the best way to do this safely?

Concerns

1. The manual is very clear about avoiding the rear diff for lifting. In other threads on the topic I've read, there was a pretty good number of people who say they've been lifting cars by the "Pumpkin" for 30+ years w/o problems. On the other hand there were also people screaming blasphamy and that you should never do it for various, scientific sounding reasons, but the debate didn't spawn very many clear answers to my original question.

2. I've thought about lifting the back 1 wheel at a time like I did the front, but if the front is on stands already it seems like the car would be very unstable, and if the wheels are on the ground with the back on stands im not sure the jack would fit under the front fender (car is stock height).

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 07-29-2015, 02:07 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

to get mine in the air, I use ramps up front, then jack the back using the pumpkin, being careful not to bend the diff cover. then ill go back to the front and raise higher if I need to. sliding jack stands under before I do any work under the car and using the jack as extra support where im actually under the car. you also don't want to use the highest setting on the jackstands. I was changing the clutch on my 93 fox lx and got it as high as I could, I turned around and the jackstand I had under the rear pass side axle fell straight down! glad I wasn't under the car. I notched the stands down one notch and things were good. scary though. good luck
Old 07-30-2015, 01:30 PM
SmokeGhostGT

Originally Posted by bl817
to get mine in the air, I use ramps up front, then jack the back using the pumpkin, being careful not to bend the diff cover.
Thanks for the tips, i'm trying to avoid using the rear diff as a lift point, but it'll be a last resort.

As I'm not working under the car today (just removing the wheels) I may look into lifting from the sides just high enough to get the stands under the pinch welds.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:15 PM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Get yourself two of these ...

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-jacking-plates.html

and have them welded in place on each side at the midpoint between the front and rear wheels. Then you can jack up the car in two easy steps ... NASCAR style.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:31 PM
SmokeGhostGT

Originally Posted by dcarlinf1
Get yourself two of these ...

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-jacking-plates.html

and have them welded in place on each side at the midpoint between the front and rear wheels. Then you can jack up the car in two easy steps ... NASCAR style.
These would be perfect! the midpoint pinch wield is where I was thinking the perfect mid lift points are on the s197.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:37 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

Every rear wheel/4wd car/truck I've ever owned has been jacked up by the rear differential. I avoid making contact with the rear plate so I do not risk bending it and causing a leak.

The front I lift one A-arm and then put the jack under the K-member, then lift the other side.

That being said, the UPR jack mounts have just been added to my wishlist. So simple, can't believe I never saw them before.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:20 AM
Scott2
2nd Gear Member

OK, not exactly an answer to the question you are asking, but you or others may be interested in these approaches.

When I jack the differential I use an old phone book between the jack and the differential.

Last winter I got 2 pair of 12" Race Ramp wheel cribs and they are great for supporting the car.

Name:  IMG_8400Medium_zps31b0ae00.jpg
Views: 2205
Size:  224.2 KB

Also installed BMR Boxed Subframe Connectors and they are fantastic as they permit jacking a full side of the car at once.

Name:  IMG_9078%20Medium_zpsjouf2aiy.jpg
Views: 4934
Size:  172.9 KB
Old 08-07-2015, 12:31 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

I lift one corner at a time, just enough to get jack stands under each side; then gradually raise each one a little to get the height I want.

Mainly, use all the supports you can or that you have: jack stands, with jacks as redundant supports. You want to make sure there is NO WAY the car can come down on you; take your time and do it right and be safe..there is no recovering from just being lazy about safety: you only get one chance to mess up, and then, you're the 'mess' under the car.