Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Top down oil change using pump extractor

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 12:37 PM
blmustang01

Default Top down oil change using pump extractor

Hi, what are your thoughts on pumping oil from the top of the engine using vacuum pump pressure? Of course it probably will leave residual oil on the bottom of the oil pan but it's more convenient, easier, quicker, less messier, less cleanup, etc. And if I want to drain the residual off the bottom of the pan that would just require an empty 1 quart oil bottle and slightly loosen oil pan bolt. I suppose I would still require jackstands/ramps to change oil filter ('13 mustang gt to remove the bottom shield).

Also, can I pump out fluid on a manual transmission from the top down and fill her back up?
Old 08-01-2015, 05:32 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

I would stick to a drain/fill procedure for both.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:49 AM
bstang14
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
I would stick to a drain/fill procedure for both.
Agree. The best way to make sure all the junk at the bottom of the pan gets purged.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:42 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

If the oil filter was accessible from the top then the oil vacuum thing would be ideal but because you would have to get up under the car anyway to do the filter then thats why I would stick with the drain/fill procedure.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:28 PM
bstang14
2nd Gear Member

My MB had the filter on top and I still got under. Pita since I had to remove two pans underneath to get at the oil pan. Just figured it was good to get it all out. Also gives you a chance to see if the oil plug magnet is collecting metal shavings.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:28 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by blmustang01
Hi, what are your thoughts on pumping oil from the top of the engine using vacuum pump pressure? Of course it probably will leave residual oil on the bottom of the oil pan but it's more convenient, easier, quicker, less messier, less cleanup, etc. And if I want to drain the residual off the bottom of the pan that would just require an empty 1 quart oil bottle and slightly loosen oil pan bolt. I suppose I would still require jackstands/ramps to change oil filter ('13 mustang gt to remove the bottom shield).
You're way more likely to tip a little quart bottle over or let drips miss it entirely than miss a drain pan. Some pans are even covered except for a hole in the middle of the top to let the oil drain into the inside, in case you're afraid you're going to slosh oil out of an open-top drain pan. Just open the pan drain and you can walk away and do something else while it's draining.

You haven't mentioned changing the oil filter, which is at least as important. I'm guessing that fear of making a big mess might be holding you back. There are ways of changing oil filters without making too much of a mess.

If you're not willing to do the job right, find a shop that you trust and let them do it for you.

FWIW, I always use ramps. If the usual ones make you nervous because you're afraid of driving too far, build your own long ramp set out of 2x10's or 2x12's.

Also, can I pump out fluid on a manual transmission from the top down and fill her back up?
The bottom plug is the easy one to get to. Why make things more difficult for yourself?

Who's going to clean the little pump? Or is it just going to sit in a tool box/tray/cart somewhere letting however much oil left inside it gradually leak out?

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 08-02-2015 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:14 PM
blmustang01

Actually, I think I'll stick with a quick-drain valve that replaces oil pan bolt that has a lever to purge oil and never needs removing. Then I can attach a clear vinyl hose to that drain port and direct it into containers to recycle. Much easier this way! Just trying to find a quick and easier way to do oil changes and oil tests. If I had to do my own oil changes the gritty way I don't care but I want easier ways to do things. This would remove oil catch can, gloves, hot oil on hands and tools ground etc, pouring back into containers, just gets sloppy.

Last edited by blmustang01; 08-02-2015 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:24 PM
blmustang01

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
If the oil filter was accessible from the top then the oil vacuum thing would be ideal but because you would have to get up under the car anyway to do the filter then thats why I would stick with the drain/fill procedure.
Exactly! The shield has to be removed so it goes on ramps anyway thus purge oil below while ur down their.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:27 PM
blmustang01

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
You're way more likely to tip a little quart bottle over or let drips miss it entirely than miss a drain pan. Some pans are even covered except for a hole in the middle of the top to let the oil drain into the inside, in case you're afraid you're going to slosh oil out of an open-top drain pan. Just open the pan drain and you can walk away and do something else while it's draining.

You haven't mentioned changing the oil filter, which is at least as important. I'm guessing that fear of making a big mess might be holding you back. There are ways of changing oil filters without making too much of a mess.

If you're not willing to do the job right, find a shop that you trust and let them do it for you.

FWIW, I always use ramps. If the usual ones make you nervous because you're afraid of driving too far, build your own long ramp set out of 2x10's or 2x12's.

The bottom plug is the easy one to get to. Why make things more difficult for yourself?

Who's going to clean the little pump? Or is it just going to sit in a tool box/tray/cart somewhere letting however much oil left inside it gradually leak out?

Norm
I have ramps because I put a barton shifter in. Getting onto the ramps is tricky though because of steep incline.

I actually found a neat oil purge valve with a lever and port to attach a clear vinyl hose. It's amazing.

It is called an EZ-107. This changes everything.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:28 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Does this purge valve have any positive means of keeping it closed? If it only relies on friction, don't walk away - run.

Norm

Quick Reply: Top down oil change using pump extractor