Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Hays Performance clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 12:45 PM
Tivo304

Default Hays Performance clutch?

Clutch / pressure plate in my GT is starting to go, and with it being my daily driver, not taking any chances.

I decided to upgrade while I'm at it with a Hays Performance clutch kit. Has anyone gone with Hays before? Decent feel and grab? Stiff as hell? It's apparently rated up to 600 ft/lbs. Not that I'll ever go that high, it's nice to know I have something *a lot* beefier than the weak OEM one Ford stuck in these vehicles.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:05 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Not sure if overkill or not...

How long did the previous clutch last, and how much power was it tasked with handling?
Old 12-16-2015, 01:46 PM
Tivo304

Originally Posted by Urambo Tauro
Not sure if overkill or not...

How long did the previous clutch last, and how much power was it tasked with handling?
~76k, with a previous owner who beat the !@#$ out of the damn thing. I went with this because I'm having my go-to shop do the install and parts order. I simply don't have the time to do it on my own right now. This clutch is cheaper than the OEM / equivalent junk out there now, so I said "why not?" Motor's stock, but I plan to do some fun bolt-on things with it over the next two years (FRPP intake, cams, tune, 4.10's, etc.)
Old 12-16-2015, 01:55 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Aftermarket clutches are generally categorized with a "stage" number. I'm not familiar with Hays, but 600 is a rating usually found in stage 3 clutches, which have a reputation for being a bit rough for daily driving.

However, the clutch disc shown in that picture doesn't look too aggressive, so it maybe it won't be so bad. It's holding power is probably focused in the pressure plate, so I'd expect more pedal effort.

Last edited by Urambo Tauro; 12-16-2015 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:07 PM
Tivo304

Originally Posted by Urambo Tauro
Aftermarket clutches are generally categorized with a "stage" number. I'm not familiar with Hays, but 600 is a rating usually found in stage 3 clutches, which have a reputation for being a bit rough for daily driving.

However, the clutch disc shown in that picture doesn't look too aggressive, so it maybe it won't be so bad. It's holding power is probably focused in the pressure plate, so I'd expect more pedal effort.
Thanks for the input! I'm all too familiar with stages - I was going to try an Exedy Stage 1, but this kit was recommended by my shop owner.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:21 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tivo304
Thanks for the input! I'm all too familiar with stages - I was going to try an Exedy Stage 1, but this kit was recommended by my shop owner.
He probably recommended it because his shop sells wholesale direct for Hays.

Never heard of anyone her using one.

What I do remember are guys getting something on the cheap side only to have headaches later. If it were me I would go with the Mcleod RST (which is overkill for you but a great clutch) or OEM.

There are others here that have after market clutches with your power level here. Research and make an informed decision before you decide.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:05 AM
Tivo304

Originally Posted by Simon1
He probably recommended it because his shop sells wholesale direct for Hays.

Never heard of anyone her using one.

What I do remember are guys getting something on the cheap side only to have headaches later. If it were me I would go with the Mcleod RST (which is overkill for you but a great clutch) or OEM.

There are others here that have after market clutches with your power level here. Research and make an informed decision before you decide.
No, he doesn't. At any rate, I've gone over my different options, spoke with a friend who I come to find has a Hays clutch kit in his Shelby. Loves it. Looking forward to trying it out.