Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Possibly a alternative to calibrating the speedometer overlay 200mph Saleen?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 09:50 AM
101btp
1st Gear Member

Default Possibly a alternative to calibrating the speedometer overlay 200mph Saleen?

Ok so im not gonna be able to try my idea out till spring but I think it's atleast worth mentioning! After getting the cold shoulder from Saleen multiple times either be them ignoring my call when I get sent to their tech people never getting a return phone call or never getting a return e mail well I'm trying to make the best of this bad situation. [Atleast they could tell me they sell a product that they can't install or easily point me to some one that can] Any how I know their are a lot of inline signal modifiers that seem to be mainly for a different tire size or axle ratio they are not meant for calibrating the speedometer for the gauge cover or if you possibly got it to work would not work with an axle ratio and overlay. So I ran into this signal modifier thats cheaper than going to some one and having them calibrate the speedometer has any one used one of these? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dak-sgi-5e/overview/

I do want a minimum speed of a 200mph gauge and don't want go through the hassle of going over to the mechanical ones not to mentioning their would need to be codes disabled to run with out it would probably mess with the OBD port like I said I'm trying to find a way around this problem. And no I'm not looking to buy a new Saleen because it would still need moded. Thank you tho if you have any feedback on this!
Old 01-03-2016, 10:16 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

maybe you could just do a little calculating and figure out what the tire revs per mile would get you the conversion needed and plug that into the car via your tuner box, which usually allows you to adjust this parameter?
Old 01-03-2016, 10:25 AM
101btp
1st Gear Member

Are you referring to a new PCM tune? A Hand Held tuner or this M-4209ADPT-ac?
Old 01-03-2016, 11:14 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

Any aftermarket hand-held tuner lets you adjust the revs per mile and rear gear ratios. If your gear selections aren't in the list then adjusting the revs per mile can get you in the ballpark for a corrected speedo. Now if you want something to represent 200 mph, for what ever reason that is (considering you'd need to strap on RATO rockets to get the aerodynamic atrocity that is the Mustang to 200), that will mean the speedo is not accurate for other road speeds, because you'd be adding a divisor to show the higher speed.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:32 AM
101btp
1st Gear Member

Yeah mine lets me mod the gear ratio but I'm not modding my gear ratio at the moment. I will but not now I need to keep that option open. Why is it so many people on here can't imagine people going over 200mph? Are we going backwards or staying idle at vehicle top speeds? Yes this vehicle is going to go 200mph I just am trying to get as much feedback as possible on this with out bias doubt from discouraging words obviously it's gonna be an expensive and longterm build so yeah I might ask a lot of interesting questions but what in the world is wrong with that! Yes through the entire speed readout would no longer be correct when I'm keeping the same distance that my speed gauge is reading out with a condensed speed readout compared to stock. In other words yes the entire speed readout would be inaccurate because condensed view over the entire readout. Their is also an addition of another 1000 rpm on the TAC. My concern is that I'm going to get the tool and even if it was used is that the tach would then be off, my tuner only allows for idle RPM adjustment not readout RPM. But I'm also unsure if the tach and speedometer run off individual wires or run off the same signal the allow the computer in the gauge cluster to do two different conversions for the again same signal. I just have no one thats close to bounce ideas off because I live in the middle of nowhere where all people know is bolt on mods and stock, or limited carberation performance.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:25 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Either option above could probably be tweeked to give an accurate speed reading on a different speedo scale but would cause the odometer & possibly RPM to no longer be accurate. I sent you a PM on another option, it's up to you whether you want to pursue that path.

What vehicle are you trying to get to over 200? Do you have any idea what kind of power it takes to get there? with top speed we are talking about the "the power of cubes", yes it takes twice as much power to spin the wheels twice as fast in the same amount of time, but then you also need to double the power again to move twice as much air out of the way in front of you... basically you have to overcome rolling resistance and wind resistance.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:19 PM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

Show him your vid of what 900 HP did....

Back to the readout, I'm not sure you can do that. You'd need someone to dismantle the speedo and correct it for that internally. We used to do this back in the analog/electric days but, I'm not sure it can be done anymore with chip-based operation. Nowadays, instruments are part of the theft control on the car so, that may be an issue as well.