Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What to do 06GT vs. 11-12 vs. more mods

Old 02-17-2016, 07:48 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Originally Posted by jz
I bought my car brand new, it now has 19,000 miles. Unless it gets totaled I will never get rid of it. Sure the 5.0 is a beast, and I'd love to have that engine as well. But you'll be in the same boat in a few years after buying a 5.0. You'll be looking at what is newer/faster and wishing for that.

It's impossible to keep up with the Jones'. I say keep your car, and work at a financial rate you are comfortable with and make it "your car". Cars are a depreciating asset. So why start over with something else? And end up losing money on that vehicle as well?

Also, there is always stroker kits available for the 4.6. That's my long term goal.
How can you be so certain the OP would get a coyote and then after a little bit ask if he should supercharge or upgrade? It's already at 412-420hp to start with, plus a 6 speed (manual or auto) transmission. The interior styling is a little different but that is subjective if its better or not.

I would go test drive a lightly used coyote, and an older GT500 and Terminator (if available in your area). Supercharging your current ride isn't a bad idea though.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:23 PM
Phil1098

I think a throttle body, cams, and intake would be enough for me, but just not sure. As far as superchargers go, it's a guaranteed $5k and I'm not sure what is the best most reliable set up. I will easily sacrifice some power for reliability, for example, a Roush M90 would be fine as opposed to a R2300 that makes an extra 50HP, if that extra 50HP makes something go BOOM. I really don't want to go too far down the rabbit hole meaning now I have 480 HP but the clutch and transmission need replaced, oh and all the rear suspension pivot points are too soft and all parts need replaced and ...........$$$$$$.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:56 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Trottle body on an NA 4.6L 3-valve is pretty much a waste of money. The Whipple kit is about the best/safest for the 4.6L 3-valves on the positive displacement supercharger side of things (it has the ford racing calibration). Probably the best value on superchargers is a "department of boost" kit that uses a used head unit off of a gt500. The Roush R2300 is capable of making things go boom, I'm sure the default calibration/pulley size is safe, but I'd really only consider it if you're considering building the engine and going for 650+RWHP in the future. The Whipple will make a safe 450-470RWHP. The centrifugal blowers (procharger, vortech, etc.) have their fans and they really shine on the top end of the RPM range, plus they are cheaper than the positive displacement blowers like the whipple, kenne bell, roush kits. but the PD blowers are a blast with instant power when you put your foot down.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:58 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

I wouldn't bother with the intake. It moves the powerband up too high and really gains very little for what it costs.

You can get somewhere around 400 crank hp (340-ish RWHP) on a 3V with cams, long tube headers, CMDP's, full exhaust, tune and CAI (the gamut of bolt ons basically), FWIW.

I too lust after the power in the newer cars. But realistically, it's not something I can even USE here. Sure I have the occasional full throttle blast getting on the highway or whatever, but we have no drag strips, no road courses...nowhere that I could even wring the car out and really use all that power. My car is paid for and it's still fun. I can upgrade down the road if I want to, which I will eventually.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:23 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

These cars are pretty reliable so supercharging it and getting to 450 rear wheel isn't a big deal. Just do your maintenance add oil catch can, maybe a bigger tranny pan. Car should last a long time.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:16 PM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ghunt
You can get somewhere around 400 crank hp (340-ish RWHP) on a 3V with cams, long tube headers/shorty midpipe, CMDP's, pulleys, tune and CAI (the gamut of bolt ons basically), FWIW.
There. Fixed it.

That said, you could get a safe 400-410rwhp with 6-7psi of boost from a positive displacement blower such as the Edelbrock E-Force or the Magnacharger with everything else remaining stock.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:07 AM
Phil1098

Originally Posted by Dino Dino Bambino

That said, you could get a safe 400-410rwhp with 6-7psi of boost from a positive displacement blower such as the Edelbrock E-Force or the Magnacharger with everything else remaining stock.
The days of products being available for my old car is drying up. Magnachargers aren't available any more and even the M90 Roush is available until supply runs out (pretty limited right now). If I was going to get a supercharger I would want a roots type, and so if I was ever going to do that to this ten year old car, I better **** or get off the pot.

It's just a weekend fun car and I will probably save the money and just get some cams. (I know there is no comparison of the power) Down to Comp 127200 or Hot Rods. I keep tossing the coin and still not sure which of those two to buy.
Old 02-29-2016, 02:56 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

You could just do underdrive pulleys, 127200s, and tune for an easy 350rwhp.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:14 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
How can you be so certain the OP would get a coyote and then after a little bit ask if he should supercharge or upgrade? It's already at 412-420hp to start with, plus a 6 speed (manual or auto) transmission. The interior styling is a little different but that is subjective if its better or not.

I would go test drive a lightly used coyote, and an older GT500 and Terminator (if available in your area). Supercharging your current ride isn't a bad idea though.
I stated my opinion, based off his original post. No where in there did I say I was so certain of anything. Go back, read again and this time try not getting your panties so tied up. Or just move along.

Last edited by jz; 03-04-2016 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:25 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Phil1098
The days of products being available for my old car is drying up. Magnachargers aren't available any more and even the M90 Roush is available until supply runs out (pretty limited right now). If I was going to get a supercharger I would want a roots type
You can still choose between the Edelbrock E-Force and the Roush R2300.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/edelbrock-sc-0509gt.html

http://www.americanmuscle.com/roush-...arger-kit.html

Last edited by Dino Dino Bambino; 03-05-2016 at 05:30 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What to do 06GT vs. 11-12 vs. more mods