Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What year GT to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 02:54 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BrianK
BTW the Stealership said that if none broke - they would charge $600 to replace and $1000 if they all broke.
If only it could be a 30-minute job to replace the plugs in your own driveway and not get shafted by the stealership.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:00 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

I did my plugs at about 85K last winter. All of them but one came out intact, using the methods that have been described by countless people. The one that didn't, the hex spun off the body of the plug and I actually had to break it off to get it out. But the Lisle tool worked like a charm.

I heard about the guy that dropped a piece into his cylinder and I can see where that COULD be a risk, but given all the success stories I've heard it must be a VERY small chance.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:14 AM
djklein21

I just changed the plugs in my early 05 GT, at almost 11 years and 72k miles (mostly in town) I got all 8 out without issue. It just took pacience. I definitly would not let the plugs influence my decision on what year to get.

I also suggest an 08 or 09. There were simply more option like SYNC and heated seats....

My biggest suggestion though is to find one in the BEST condition and style/color/trim you want. Find the one you LOVE.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:23 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Hi Brian,
Yup, I decided to change mine at somewhere around 50K miles. I followed the Ford procedure to the letter and the third plug broke. This was many years ago before I knew about the tool. I had AAA take the car to the stealership. They broke like 4 or 5 more plugs. At first they told me they might have to pull the heads (big cha ching) but when I picked up the car they said they got the broken plugs out. I was given a $600-$700 bill or something like that. They put in a set of Motorcrap plugs.
I was furious. I sent out letters to Ford customer relations as well as the owner of the dealership. Told them I had bought several new Mustangs but would never buy another Ford.
Here's where it gets interesting. A couple of months later I took the car in for a recall. While I was sitting in the lounge, the service manager came up to me and handed me an envelope. To my utter surprise, it contained a check for the entire amount of my bill on the plug job. I was amazed.
A month or so later, I took out the Motorcrap plugs and replaced them with Champion one piece plugs-and never looked back. I now have 144K miles on the car and am on my second set of Champions. Car runs like a dream with the Champs. I will never put in a 2 piece plug back in my engine-ever.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:33 AM
BrianK
2nd Gear Member

HI Goldenpony
Interesting to hear that Ford actually stepped up to the table and made things right. You don't hear that very often! Now with the Lisle tool, getting the broken plugs out yourself isn't a big deal (although I was lucky and non broke). As I said I too am happy with the Champions and the car runs great. I might take one or two out this winter to see what they look like and I am thankful I don't have to worry about breakage.
The plugs like other 'issues' are not deal breakers but points to consider when buying a car and as DJklein said are not a big reasons not to get what otherwise is a great car.
Given the aluminum hood corrosion problems - I would hold off a few years before even thinking about a new F150 though.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:39 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Hi Brian,
Actually, I don't think Ford stepped up-I think it was the dealership, or maybe both.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:28 AM
BrianK
2nd Gear Member

You're right - doesn't sound like Ford - but more like the dealer. At 40K miles, but past the time warranty when I went to the stealership and asked about the plugs, they said mine did not have the 2 piece plug issue. I said I had the black COP's and asked them to check again. Then all I got from the Service Advisor was a laugh and the exorbitant price to change -$1000 if they all broke. Then I realized there was no incentive for them to try to get them out without breaking them because a broken plug meant more money for them.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:32 AM
torweedeater

I just bought a 08' gt with 22k on it and checked the COP and they were brown. So that means I got the one piece?
Old 05-16-2016, 11:38 AM
torweedeater

I took a pic to make sure this was true

Old 05-17-2016, 05:02 AM
Scott2
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by torweedeater
I just bought a 08' gt with 22k on it and checked the COP and they were brown. So that means I got the one piece?
Congratulations on your new GT!

Quick Reply: What year GT to buy?