Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

tune and intake?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 08:20 PM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

Default tune and intake?

It looks like I will finally have some spending money and thinking of getting my first mod. No plans to go big, just a little extra torque down low would be nice and probably won't ever do more than some bolt-ons. I was thinking the FRPP pro cal would be my best bet as I need a new filter and not sure about going the CAI route. I found one on sale right now for about 300, but the track cal or track key sounds good too for a little more. Then there is the power pack with the GT500 mufflers with the pro cal for around the same price as the track cal without them. Although it looks like you are supposed to have a dealership install it for about 100 more.

But after more searching, it looks like a tuner with a CAI will give a better power and torque peak, but not the big torque boost down low. Thing is I don't really like the ones I found. I wish there was an enclosed one like they have for the 2015 Mustang. I think I'm more confused now after all the searching. What I think would be ideal for me would be something like the Airaid modular intake tube (keeping the stock intake box) and K&N drop-in filter and then adding a tune if I could find a company that will give you a tune without getting an intake. Has anybody done something like this or am I overthinking it?
Old 02-25-2016, 12:16 AM
crjackson2134

Originally Posted by Mrbobcat
It looks like I will finally have some spending money and thinking of getting my first mod. No plans to go big, just a little extra torque down low would be nice and probably won't ever do more than some bolt-ons. I was thinking the FRPP pro cal would be my best bet as I need a new filter and not sure about going the CAI route. I found one on sale right now for about 300, but the track cal or track key sounds good too for a little more. Then there is the power pack with the GT500 mufflers with the pro cal for around the same price as the track cal without them. Although it looks like you are supposed to have a dealership install it for about 100 more.

But after more searching, it looks like a tuner with a CAI will give a better power and torque peak, but not the big torque boost down low. Thing is I don't really like the ones I found. I wish there was an enclosed one like they have for the 2015 Mustang. I think I'm more confused now after all the searching. What I think would be ideal for me would be something like the Airaid modular intake tube (keeping the stock intake box) and K&N drop-in filter and then adding a tune if I could find a company that will give you a tune without getting an intake. Has anybody done something like this or am I overthinking it?
Okay, what in about to say is my personal opinion only based on information from a pro-racer / builder / Dyno Tuner that I know, and from information I've gathered by reading online. So take this with a grain of salt...

Aftermarket CAI's are mostly for looks and noise. The late model air boxes from the factory are CAI's and have a cfm flow rate greater than a stock Coyote engine can consume. A CAI/Tune will gain the same amount of HP/TQ as the tune alone when using on the street (a Dyno is not the street). For most, the aftermarket CAI is a waste of money as far as performance goes.

The K & N drop in filter offers no performance increase, and in some instances it's a detriment to performance, but so slight that it's insignificant. It's actual advantage is that it can be cleaned and reused. It does not enhance performance.

A tune is about the best bang for your buck, and there are lots to choose from. I suggest Brenspeed, Lund, VMP.

For a little more money, a Dyno tune from a well established & reputable tuner would likely be the best.

Again, this is my personal opinion only...

Last edited by crjackson2134; 02-25-2016 at 11:45 PM.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:22 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

If you want more torque, going with a numerically higher gear ratio would be the best way to accomplish that, then you will need a tuner anyway to let the pcm know what the gear ratio is, so you might as well load a tune also. This is all assuming you don't really want to do to much to your car and probably won't do anything more after this.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:20 AM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

I already have 3.73 and don't want to change that. As far as tunes, I hear that the procal tune is supposed to increase torque by about 60 down low, but only about 15hp gain up top. All the other tunes seem to be in the 20-30 range for both hp and tq. As far as the CAI, it looks like a lot of the companies only offer a combo with the intake and tune. What I would really like is something like the closed intake for the 2015's like Airaid Synthamax or C&L, but it doesn't look like they make any for my 2014. K&N has one, but the dyno on AM only showed a 10hp increase. I guess I'm leaning towards getting an Airaid modular tube, drop in filter and a decent tune to be different if nothing else. Nut then again, I could get a CAI/tune package for only about 100 more after all is said and done.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:05 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mrbobcat
I already have 3.73 and don't want to change that. As far as tunes, I hear that the procal tune is supposed to increase torque by about 60 down low, but only about 15hp gain up top. All the other tunes seem to be in the 20-30 range for both hp and tq. As far as the CAI, it looks like a lot of the companies only offer a combo with the intake and tune. What I would really like is something like the closed intake for the 2015's like Airaid Synthamax or C&L, but it doesn't look like they make any for my 2014. K&N has one, but the dyno on AM only showed a 10hp increase. I guess I'm leaning towards getting an Airaid modular tube, drop in filter and a decent tune to be different if nothing else. Nut then again, I could get a CAI/tune package for only about 100 more after all is said and done.
Your own post should be telling you that tunes are not worth the cost. You just can't feel 10-15hp unless you really want to believe in it. You might see .3 seconds in the quarter mile if you are racing, but really feeling that and going all gaga over it ain't gonna happen.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:46 PM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

You really should not crunch the numbers that are advertised, and use those to determine your purchase choice. First off, 60 tq gain on just a tune, seems quite high and unlikely. A bit of a pipe dream. The best tuning is on a dyno at a good and recommended facility. The 'canned tunes' have already been mentioned as to where to go.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:23 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

My friend got the procal. It was returned shortly later as it had a lot of pinging. He then got an AM tune. Said it was a night snd day difference. Get a tune from a real tuner.

Last edited by 808muscle; 03-01-2016 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:29 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by 808muscle
My friend got the procal. It was returned shortly later as it had a lot of pinging. He then got an AM tune. Said it was a night snd day difference. Get a tune from a real tuner.
I have a tune from AM and the 91 performance tune pings like a **** during the summer. I end up having to retard the global timing (-2) and a little more timing on the low end RPM band (another -2) to keep it from doing it. In AZ it can reach average daily temps of 110+ That and when I first got my AM tune I had to have them put the cooling fan running temp back to OEM because they had it set to run all the time. Yes it was pinging even when the fan was running as they had it programmed.

My point is, the procal probably just needed some fine tuning like my AM tune. The only downside to the procal is that you usually can't make any changes to the tune on your own, you have to send it to FRPP.

It's not a bad thing for tunes to require some fine tuning. Afterall they are only semi custom (based on a fuel map) and not like a Dyno tune which is 100% custom for the vehicle.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:01 AM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

After more research, I think I should go with a real tuner like the Bama X4/SF4 for the most gains. The iTSX Wireless Tuner looks interesting too for a little more so you can get 0-60 times, ect although I don't have a cell phone activated right now. As far as intakes, I would really like to get a closed system to retain a little more stock look and keep water out. I like the K&N Typhoon or Series 63 air charger, but haven't found any other dyno's for those except for AM's which isn't that great. They referred me to the AEM brute force which looks decent too, but those don't come in a combo so you have to get the tuner seperately. Idk, maybe I should just go with an open one like the Airaid CAI or maybe Cervini?
Old 03-02-2016, 08:38 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

My experience with procal was extraordinary. On my 2012 MT82 3.73 Brembo brake car, carrying a full load of options, that tune only, with a slick tire, did 11.9 at 115 in the quarter, through the factory airbox and exhaust.

You can defintely feel the difference. that tune turned that car into an animal, on and off the track. That plus unmatched warranty support ( I bought the car new) sealed it for me. No complaints.

My current ride is a 2014 auto car similarly loaded. I have a VMP tune on that bc I wanted the datalogging and features of the x4. It is also very aggressive, even on 91.

Quick Reply: tune and intake?