Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Opinions on this supercharged GT?

Old 05-21-2016, 02:56 PM
Csrt4to5.0gt
2nd Gear Member

Financing a $40k car, while paying $6k-$10k for a supercharger would be alot more than privately selling my car and then getting something that is under $20k, that is already supercharged. If I were to get something like this Mustang I wouldn't keep my S550.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:58 PM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

OIC....so you feel you are in over your head with the current car? You're still going to lose because you've eaten all the depreciation in the first year, lost all the payments made and you're going to need cash to buy this old POS that you'll likely ultimately regret downgrading for. This might be a nice car for someone who wants that generation of car but, anyone who's tried anything more modern is likely to find it comes up short in lots of areas. Go and drive it and you'll likely agree.

I'd say, unless you are looking at financial ruin, sticking it out where you're at is the best idea.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:20 PM
doubleoh

Totally agree. You don't know what you're really getting into with someone else's car. How would you feel if the "OLD" car started giving trouble.... maybe deep in the engine? Try some deep gears in YOUR car and maybe a tune.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:15 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by P51C
OIC....so you feel you are in over your head with the current car? You're still going to lose because you've eaten all the depreciation in the first year, lost all the payments made and you're going to need cash to buy this old POS that you'll likely ultimately regret downgrading for. This might be a nice car for someone who wants that generation of car but, anyone who's tried anything more modern is likely to find it comes up short in lots of areas. Go and drive it and you'll likely agree.

I'd say, unless you are looking at financial ruin, sticking it out where you're at is the best idea.
I also agree. Even if that supercharged '05 GT is in pristine condition and drives perfectly, it doesn't make sense selling the '16 GT and losing so much money through depreciation and monthly loan payments, unless you somehow can't afford them now and the bank is chasing after you.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:51 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

how is this even a question on what to do. Modding cars isn't a sensible financial decision but we do it. Your best bet is to just supercharge your car or not at all. You can do all the other bolt ons but that will keep you happy for a moment and the bug will bite again. I don't know your financial situation but if your balking at spending 6 to 10k then you should carefully consider your decision and what may happen. You could buy that car and in a few months you might be taking it to a performance shop chasing down some problem. Not all fixes are easy and require shops to fix one thing only to find out that wasn't the culprit. If your loan on your current ride is more than five years then you should wait a long time.