Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2007 GT Lighting issue?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 01:20 PM
Tdegaknight

Default 2007 GT Lighting issue?

Hello Gentleman! I am prompted to join this forum in hopes of finding a quick resolve as to what might be the cause of the problem I am having with this S197 I picked up. The best way I can describe what is going on is the lighting for the HVAC control module and the lighting for the Hazard and Traction Control modules stay illuminated hours after the car has been shut off which severely drains my battery over a couple of days. I'm not sure how to fix this as do not know what the preliminary cause is if there even is one. Thanks in advance. I will attach some photos I took hours after the card had last run to show the lights staying on. Note that these are not LED's and the smart junction box has never seen water in its 10 years. I just have the slightest feeling these are supposed to shut off after the car is locked.

Steering wheel controls stay illuminated

HVAC, Gear selector, traction control and Hazard buttons stay illuminated.
Attached Thumbnails 2007 GT Lighting issue?-image.jpeg  
Old 09-09-2016, 04:48 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Has been like this since you bought it? Do you know if the previous owner had an aftermarket stereo in it or if it has one now? I'd check the wiring behind the centerstack first for a short, then the SJB (Smart Junction Box) behind the passenger side kick panel. You have an 07 which, depending on the build date may have had a leak in that area. The leak causes corrosion of the SJB terminal block which leads to all sorts of weird problems.

Even if the leak was fixed, if the box corrodes it may take years for problems to show up.
https://latemodel.cachefly.net/downl...sb08-26-07.pdf
Old 09-09-2016, 05:55 PM
Tdegaknight

Originally Posted by Derf00
Has been like this since you bought it? Do you know if the previous owner had an aftermarket stereo in it or if it has one now? I'd check the wiring behind the centerstack first for a short, then the SJB (Smart Junction Box) behind the passenger side kick panel. You have an 07 which, depending on the build date may have had a leak in that area. The leak causes corrosion of the SJB terminal block which leads to all sorts of weird problems.

Even if the leak was fixed, if the box corrodes it may take years for problems to show up.
No, I bought it back in December of 2014 and it's never had anything crazy go wrong with it. In fact, it's been practically error free. I do not know for sure if a previous owner had a stereo in it or not. But I however did install back in July of this year. However LT was already doing this when the factory unit was in there. I don't know if it's relevant but the build date on my car is 08/06. It's practically dry in the sjp panel however and I can not see any sort of corrosion in there whatsoever. The door lock and window switch lights would stay lit aswell, however I reverted back to some Sylvania Silver Star bulbs for the Map lights, Rear Side markers, and high mount brake lamp. I think that fixed the issue for those in particular but I am at a loss in regards to the center stack. I don't know if it has anything to do with it but back in April I installed Those Raxiom Gen 5 LED taillights. Wondering if LED's are causing this perhaps?
Old 09-09-2016, 05:59 PM
Tdegaknight

Originally Posted by Derf00

No, I bought it back in December of 2014 and it's never had anything crazy go wrong with it. In fact, it's been practically error free. I do not know for sure if a previous owner had a stereo in it or not. But I however did install back in July of this year. However it was already doing this when the factory unit was in there. I don't know if it's relevant but the build date on my car is 08/06. It's practically dry in the sjb panel however and I can not see any sort of corrosion in there whatsoever. The door lock and window switch lights would stay lit aswell, however I reverted back to some Sylvania Silver Star bulbs for the Map lights, Rear Side markers, and high mount brake lamp. I think that fixed the issue for those in particular but I am at a loss in regards to the center stack. I don't know if it has anything to do with it but back in April I installed Those Raxiom Gen 5 LED taillights. Wondering if LED's are causing this perhaps?