Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Throttle Response when start up

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 08:35 PM
Mjk-94

Default Throttle Response when start up

Hello everyone, Im new to the forum .
I just had one concern about throttle Response , when I start the and lightly rev the engine it doesn't respond and it seems chocking however that happens only for a few seconds and then clears so no problems when driving the car , im suspecting bad gas I always put 93 octane or maybe throttle body . I have Air Aid and Roush Axle Back . I just noticed this problem today so its new I didnt have any problems before .Its a 2014 Gt Manual
Old 12-08-2016, 12:45 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

If the problem only occurs at start-up, the cause definitely isn't bad gas.
You could try cleaning the MAF sensor and the inside of the throttle body as both might have become contaminated by oil from the Airaid air filter.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:07 AM
Mjk-94

Thank you I appreciate the response, I should use brake cleaner right ?
Old 12-08-2016, 07:26 AM
Coosawjack
2nd Gear Member

Mine does it on hot restarts only......just a couple seconds then it responds properly!!
Old 12-08-2016, 09:09 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mjk-94
Thank you I appreciate the response, I should use brake cleaner right ?
Brake cleaner will be fine as long as it's non-chlorinated. Carb cleaner also works.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:35 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Mjk-94
Hello everyone, Im new to the forum .
I just had one concern about throttle Response , when I start the and lightly rev the engine it doesn't respond and it seems chocking however that happens only for a few seconds and then clears so no problems when driving the car , im suspecting bad gas I always put 93 octane or maybe throttle body . I have Air Aid and Roush Axle Back . I just noticed this problem today so its new I didnt have any problems before .Its a 2014 Gt Manual
is the car warmed up or are you free-reving a cold engine? Immediately upon start up and for the first 30 seconds to a minute your cars computer is working in an open loop cycle. That means it ignores all input from the sensors as it establishes a baseline for both signal processing and starts to heat up the sensors. Reving it up during that time may not yield the expected result.

After the first 30 seconds to a minute, the cars PCM switches to closed loop and starts to utilize the sensors to make adjustments.

You will notice that cars will often idle at a Higher RPM when you start them up cold and eventually (after 30 seconds to a minute) drop down to the normal idle. This is an indication of switching from an open loop to a closed loop system.

Something else to consider. If you're free-reving a cold motor, fluids have not yet had a chance to warm up so all your doing is creating more wear in the components.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:53 AM
Mjk-94

^^^^^^^
I appreciate your response, ofc I don't rev out the engine on cold starts, the car was actually warm when it didn't respond to the throttle.

anyway I'm getting the BAMA Race tune from AM, any PROS OR CONS for the RACE TUNE ? I dont really daily my car, or should I get the PERFORMANCE tune V2?
Old 12-09-2016, 07:00 AM
Coosawjack
2nd Gear Member

I ran their "Race Tune" for awhile and the throttle felt twitchy like it only worked well WIDE OPEN so I switched to the "Performance Tune" which seems to have just as much SOTP power but the throttle is more linear if that makes sense??
Old 12-09-2016, 04:00 PM
Mjk-94

^^^^^
yup it does make sense, I read around and the same is happening with most people.

how many miles did you put on your performance tune ??
Old 12-09-2016, 04:10 PM
Mjk-94

Also guys a quick question

I have the ROUSH axle back, and I like how it screams in the high RPM's , my question is IF I get an X PIPE from pypes or BBK would that lower the raspy sound of the exhaust I mean the scream that I get in the tunnel or in the garage, because some reviews state that it reduced the sound and gave a deeper sound which I don't like .

Also if I go catless would that make it even louder or an x pipe would do the job while keeping the cats ?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH GUYS YOU HAVE BEEN REALLY HELPFUL