Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Traction help

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 08:44 PM
James7679

Default Traction help

Hello all. New here. I recently procured a 2011 GT Premium with the Track Pack. Stainless Works long tube station, C&L short ram, Borla Loud Mouth, MGW race spec(x spec), 91 0ctane tune by Jake Lamotta, stock suspension, stock wheels w/Pilot SS tires. This is a Florida car.

I'd like to take it to the track and get some numbers on it but am deathly afraid to do so. The rear tires are not enough to keep the car in line. First and second, flat out requires a lot of feathering, else the car will go around. When it is hooking, wheel hop is ridiculous. Id like to keep the factory wheels, but don't have to. I only drive the car a few times a week. I would love to get wider drag radials for the rear but it seems like the pickings are slim there.

Planned hp adder is a strong supercharger kit. Obviously, at that point, I'll have to reassess the tires, but I'd like the suspension to mods to be able to accommodate the higher hp. I'd like to lower the car a bit as well.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:48 AM
Coosawjack
2nd Gear Member

Welcome aboard "James 7679"!!

How old are your Michelins??
Old 12-26-2016, 11:48 AM
James7679

They are approximately 1 year, less than 5k.
Old 12-26-2016, 04:41 PM
Coosawjack
2nd Gear Member

Not sure what to tell ya since I figured your tires might be old and hard!!

I have Kumhos on mine and they hook like glue!!

Someone will chime in and help ya.....Good Luck!!
Old 12-27-2016, 02:26 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by James7679
The rear tires are not enough to keep the car in line. First and second, flat out requires a lot of feathering, else the car will go around. When it is hooking, wheel hop is ridiculous. Id like to keep the factory wheels, but don't have to.

I'd like the suspension to mods to be able to accommodate the higher hp. I'd like to lower the car a bit as well.
Sounds like this is what you need:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-h...assembled.html

http://www.americanmuscle.com/bmr-ad...poly-1114.html

http://www.americanmuscle.com/gms-ad...-lca-0514.html
Old 12-27-2016, 07:15 PM
C1Forged
Former Sponsor

Upgrade your suspension to better hold the power, especially since you mentioned that it has wheel hop. As for better rubber, go with a high performance summer for track, or a dedicated radial on lightweight wheels for drag. Or both... depends on how you drive your toy.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:33 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

You don't need a bunch of stuff to cure your issues. Most likely some lower control arms and drag radials.

Don't even mess with regular wheels and then put a 17 or18" wheel tire combo on. Just buy some 15x10 wheels for the rear and tires to match. You won't have traction issues at the track.

Make site your current tires are properly inflated as that can contribute to wheel hop.

Enjoy!
Old 12-28-2016, 10:41 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

MT drags, adjustable coils, lower control arms. You should be set. Id get skinnies when u get the drag tires as the stock tires will feel a bit waves going down the strip