Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Systemic Issues with 05-?? Mustangs ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 02:51 AM
Gravydog316
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Orion_240
I owned a 2005 GT and now still have my 2008 Shelby GT and both have the stupid gas tank issue that hasn't been mentioned.

It's a long story, but basically you could have problems trying to fill your tank with gas. The backpressure will keep shutting the pump off, and you could end up having to squeeze the pump's level about 100 times just to fill up your tank.

It got so bad on my 2005 that I traded in the car. One of those issues that make a car a non-driver. You can't very well put much gas in when all the nozzles are these modern ones that need the thing fully inserted to flow gas.

It has only happened one or two times with my 2008, but this is an issue that most sellers won't let you know about.
I have had that with my 2006; when you put the nozzle in, gravity pulls the hose & nozzle down, & it kicks out, but if you angle it just a bit, it's fine.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:47 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by 427Impala
Newbie here. A fellow owner (05 GT) told me of 2 things.

1 The 'feature' where the battery will go dead if let the car sits to long, related to Shaker radio??

2 lower ball joints having short life.

Thoughts?? Other systemic issues??

Thnx

Joey in VA 06 GT conv

BTW, what is the range of related Mustangs, 05-09?? 14??
Lower control arms are garbage, upgrade with GT500 ones (or FRPP ones, same thing). They will have upgraded ball joints and higher durometer rubber.
Leaks on the passenger side kick panel or clogging of the drain where the cabin air filter goes on the outside of the car that causes the area to overflow into the passenger compartment.
Two piece spark plugs can break in the head Several ways to get them out including a ford TSB. Replace with either improved (but still two piece) ford design or go with Champion one piece 7989 plugs
Front upper strut mounts - replace with OEM
Front sway bar links (upgrade to 2010+ links with a finer thread and higher torque capacity)
Check your Transmission mount. Some verts had the wrong one installed. There's a TSB on it to identify if you have the correct one.
Check for a chassis cross member under the car. Some Verts had it added in 06 to stiffen the chassis further.
I think that covers it...

you can look here:
https://lmr.com/products/2006-Mustang-TSB-Recall
https://lmr.com/products/2005-Mustang-TSB-Recall
Old 03-13-2017, 04:48 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gravydog316
I have had that with my 2006; when you put the nozzle in, gravity pulls the hose & nozzle down, & it kicks out, but if you angle it just a bit, it's fine.
Agreed, a minor adjustment to the nozzle angle is all I need to do, then it is fine. Also happens with my Freestyle.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:24 PM
SilverSport
1st Gear Member

so...just the tip???...

Bill
Old 03-18-2017, 05:28 AM
JohnTN
1st Gear Member

My 2006 GT with the Shaker 1000 audio has experienced run down battery after one week of non-use on a couple of occasions. As long as I turn the audio off before turning the ignition off there is no problem.

John
Old 03-25-2017, 07:49 AM
paul_g
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gravydog316
Yup, absolutely correct... Mine does it once and a while. I turn the nozzle upside down and that does the trick.