Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Brake Flush?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 11:47 AM
baldbacktires

Default Brake Flush?

New here, quick question:

I have a 2011 GT/CS with 47K miles. The dealership informed me that I was in need of a brake flush and I thought it sounded like an up sale/BS so I passed. Is there a way I can check for myself, is this normal, and/or is this even needed? I have had 2 oil changes since this suggestion and no one else has brought this up, raising my suspicions.

TIA
Old 03-02-2017, 01:24 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Yes, brake fluid flush should be part of a normal maintenance cycle and should be replaced every 2-3 years or 30Kish miles with a DD car. If you track the car, it's recommended to replace it as often as every track day.

Most US car mfg's though don't put in their owners manuals so most people don't think/know about it and arrive at the same conclusion you do if it's mentioned. Not your fault really but as a car guy (or an aspiring one) something you should know.

The fluid by nature is hygroscopic meaning it loves water and will grab whatever water it can from the environment. Your brake system is not air tight. Check the Master Cylinder Cap. It has a couple of airways to allow the fluid to rise/fall as needed.

Water has two major negative effects when talking about brake/systems.

1) As moisture increases in the braking system, the boiling temperature of the fluid is lowered, this can lead to less braking power (increased stopping distances) and brake fade

2) The water can destroy your system from the inside out by rusting metal and hardening rubber parts/seals..

So, the only way to rid the system of hte moisture it's collected over time is to flush it out. Also, when changing your pads out, you should always bleed your brakes before you squeeze the caliper pistsons back into the caliper. This helps remove the moisture and most of the garbage trapped in the caliper instead of shoving it back into the rest of the brake system.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:20 PM
baldbacktires

Thank you so much for the informative reply! I appreciate the information as well as the information pertaining to the answer.

You hit the nail on the head with the Owner's Manual comment as I did check there (as well as a few Google searches) and I couldn't ever really find any information.

I will get this taken care of soon.