Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Looking for some exhaust advice!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 01:26 PM
-FN-

Question Looking for some exhaust advice!

I used to have a 2008 GT Convertible and I had upgraded the stock exhaust to Flowmaster Pros. At the time I was VERY happy with the results. They gave me a nice low rumble at idle and opened up when I got my RPMs up. However, over the several years that I had that car, any road trips where someone sat in the backseat, there was a constant drone that they were sure to mention to me. They dealt with it as we were usually heading to the beach or a show or something else worth sitting riding together for, but they definitely made a point to say it was a bit much.

So from the outside and the front seats it was perfect, but anyone in the back generally got the short end of the stick.

Unfortunately I had to sell that car about a year and a half ago...

But I finally got back behind the wheel of another Mustang, this time a 2013 GT Convertible

While my initial thought was to get Flowmaster Pros again, I started comparing them to the Flowmaster American Thunder series. According to the AmericanMuscle website, the “loudness” on the ATs is slightly less than that of the Pros. I’ve gone on YouTube, read a ton of forum posts, but before I pull the trigger on something, I wanted to see if anyone here had similar experiences and solutions.

I want my Mustang to have a good rumble when idling, but not so much that it wakes my neighbors up when I leave for work in the morning. If I accelerate, I want it to sound good. But if possible, I’d like to save my backseat passengers from a constant drone on every road trip.

Thanks! It’s good to be back here :-D
Old 03-23-2017, 12:13 PM
Callinectes
1st Gear Member

If you're just talking mufflers, I put a pair of Kooks on my '14 GT which gave it a very pleasant but conservative rumble at every RPM with zero drone. I do think you are going to subject your passengers to some level of unpleasantness in a convertible though.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:01 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Stay away from Flowmaster period, they all drone. Retain your stock resonator and go with either the street version of the Borla or Magnaflow axle back muffler. They don't drone and give a nice rumble under acceleration and are relative quiet cruising.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:08 PM
-FN-

Thanks for the feedback!

Callinectes - are you referring to these: Kooks Performance Axle-Back Exhaust

proeagles - by 'street version' I'm assuming you mean the Magnaflow Street Axle-back Exhaust? I'm not sure which Borlas you are referring to.

Thanks again
Old 03-23-2017, 04:48 PM
Coosawjack
2nd Gear Member

I have a like new set of Magnaflows to sell.......PM me if interested!!
Attached Thumbnails Looking for some exhaust advice!-img_0108.jpg   Looking for some exhaust advice!-img_0109.jpg   Looking for some exhaust advice!-img_0110.jpg   Looking for some exhaust advice!-img_0111.jpg   Looking for some exhaust advice!-img_0112.jpg  

Old 03-24-2017, 10:42 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Coosawjack
I have a like new set of Magnaflows to sell.......PM me if interested!!
Yes I was. Buy these. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 03-24-2017, 12:02 PM
Callinectes
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by -FN-
Thanks for the feedback!

Callinectes - are you referring to these: Kooks Performance Axle-Back Exhaust
Thanks again
Yep, that's them
Old 03-24-2017, 12:26 PM
-FN-

So after many, many hours of exhaustive forum reading YouTube video watching, and review comparisons, I've come to a few general conclusions:
  • Flowmasters are popular for their external sound and mostly inexpensive entry price. The interior drone is either loved or indifferent to most.
  • Those who move on from Flowmasters seem to often graduate to Magnaflows. Aggressive exterior sound, less drone.
  • 3 Those who move on from Magnaflows seem to often graduate to Kooks or Borlas. Still aggressive, but little to no drone.

So with that I'm leaning towards a pair of Kooks Performance. I love the way those polished slant cut exhaust tips look and most everyone seems to say there is little to no drone.

However, I am also interested in Ford's Performance Sport Axle-Back Exhaust. Problem is I can't seem to find too much about them compared to many of the other after-market brands. But the #1 thing drawing me to them is one of their specific selling points:

Eliminates Drone. Ford Racing specifically engineered this GT Sport Axle-Back system to eliminate that annoying exhaust drone that is heard at sustained RPM's.
The "Ford Racing" stamp on the ends of the tips don't thrill me, though. They have more positive reviews on AM than the Flowmaster Pros, Magnaflows, and Kooks, which also confuses me.

So Kooks Performance or Ford Performance for my '13 GT Convertible?

Thanks for your input!
Old 03-24-2017, 01:43 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Ford's exhaust is made by Borla, best in the business.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:57 PM
Coosawjack
2nd Gear Member

I have had no drone with Magnaflows or KOOKS....FWIW!!