Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Moving the seat back

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 12:35 PM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Moving the seat back

I'm with Ed. At 6'4", when I put the seat back far enough I have to really stretch my arms to reach the steering wheel. They just have to work the placement for the average person. If they had the steering wheel back further for tall guys, short people wouldn't be able to reach the pedal. Some manufacturers are starting to address this with telescoping steering wheels and adjustable height pedals. That stuff doesn't have much use in a sports car though in my opinion. I just keep the seat back up fairly straight. -Joe
Old 12-19-2005, 02:28 PM
06YellowGT

It's kind of a side note, but yeah, anyone who sits in the passenger seat complains on how low it is. Not that it's too important for the driver of the car, but it'd be nicer for them if it was a bit taller.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:01 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

You guys not reaching the steering wheel must have abnormally short wingspans The average persons span is directly proportional to their height. So taller folks have longer arms. I don't see how anybody that is 6'4" or more has troubles reaching the steering wheel with the seat all the way back, unless you are really reclined - hoopty style [8D]

Old 12-19-2005, 03:51 PM
trey929
2nd Gear Member

actually when i first drove mine i was expecting the drivers seat to go back more but when i started driving it was fine with the seat all the way back and seat reclinded a bit.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:48 PM
Traken
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sowaxeman

You guys not reaching the steering wheel must have abnormally short wingspans The average persons span is directly proportional to their height. So taller folks have longer arms. I don't see how anybody that is 6'4" or more has troubles reaching the steering wheel with the seat all the way back, unless you are really reclined - hoopty style [8D]

You gotta keep torso height in mind as well, though. The taller you are, the more you have to recline the seat to give yourself head room. Though I'm 6'6" and with the seat all the way back and a little reclined, I'm comfortable, and can reach everything I need to without a problem.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:18 PM
ponypower05GT
1st Gear Member

I'm 6'2" and I have no trouble at all reaching the steering wheel with the seat all the way back. I have about 1 1/2 to 2 inches of space between the back of my seat and the rear seat. I did see a little while back someone had a bracket on Ebay that you could install to add another 2 inches of travel distance to the seat but I believe that it only worked on models up to 04. If I found one that fit the 05 and it was cheap enough I would install it cause I could use about 1 more inch away from the pedals for my legs to be a little more comfortable. I like riding with the seat not very reclined as I feel it holds me more firmly in the seat that way and feels like a more aggressive driving stance to view the road and handle the steering. I would recline it slightly for a more relaxing long ride though.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:45 AM
snoojie

I'm only 5'3", push the seat back all the way, and I have no problems reaching the steering wheel. In fact, I wouldn't mind if my seat could go back another inch. I figured anyone taller would have so many problems. I'm quite surprised some of you all don't. Oh well, to each his own.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:39 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Yes, wouldn't a telescoping column solve 1/2 the issues here?
Also I could be wrong, but is there an option for a power passenger seat now? I thought i saw that, which no doubt came about from all the passenger complaints about being so low.
For me, being just 5'10", the issue isn't needing more room for the seat to go back, but I'd love a seat memory because I have to have the seat back at a specific angle, the height and depth of the seat in a certain position and the steering wheel in a specific angle!
You don't know what your missing until you try having it all set up for you in a luxury car, like I did in an Infinity G35. It's nice when you get in the car and everything goes to where you want it!
Old 11-19-2006, 11:12 AM
mattblasi
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Professor Wizard

I'm 5'8"... is there any way to move the seat forward?... LOL... Just kidding.
No but I have a few blocks we can tape to your feet to give you a few mor intches lol

To the power passenger seat yes it is part of the 07 comfort package also includes my favorite heated seats
Old 11-19-2006, 01:15 PM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

I will not comment about how to set up your seat for driving and being 6'7" as I have no idea lol!
BUT
Having a 06 V6 and a 06 GT (both convertibles) I can comment about which to get. One will have to ask themselves;
What do you want out of your car? (performance wise, acceration, handling, even sound)
Do you like the grill better on one or the other? (pretty much the biggest 'noticable' difference when parked)
What would you be planning to upgrade or change?
Hows your auto insurance? (our V6 is 1/2 the price of our GT!)
Do you have to have a brand new car? (there may be some deals on used cars)
Will gas mileage be an issue?
Will re-sale be an concern?

Bottom line is this both the V6 and the GT have good and not so good points when compared to each other. Neither of our cars are stock any more. HP and handling can NOT be compared between our cars. (do to all the after market parts on the GT) When driven hard the GT seems to like it and the V6 seems as if it's starting to 'complain' when the engine is reved over 5400 rpms. (I laugh because the exhaust pitch changes somewhere around there and it just reminds me of trying to get someone to do something they really don't want to) At those rpms the GT screams 'YEA BABY' lets go! I guess it comes down to how much performace you expect out of your Mustang? For the most part, if the initial price difference is $10K. You could get the V6 and put that money into aftermarket parts towards the performance you feel you would like and save some money over a GT. If you are not into changing things but want performance well the GT. If money isn't an issue and you want performance, get the GT and start ordering aftermarket parts.
05SDI