Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Long tube header HP comparison

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 11:35 AM
mash2k
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Long tube header HP comparison

You would think that such a clean running engine without an AIR pump and all that happy emissions crap would make virtually any LT with an O2 sensor and cats setup street legal.

Spider, your Mustang is awesome. Almost makes me wish I had gotten an auto. I did a lot of the same things to my vette that you have done to your stang and my vette screams. The tranny with the vigilante hi-stall converter and shift kit were the big difference forthat car.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:01 PM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

thanks but i haven't really done anything different than everyone else. my dads giving me one bay in the shop this week to get the suspension done. i'll have the lift all week so i'm doing everything i can while i have the chance. then comes some dyno time.
i'm surprised that the jba long tubes aren't carb legal especially since they offer a catted xpipe to go with them. as far as emmisions here in MD, if the car has OBD2 they just plug in the port and look for dtc's and the readings from the o2 sensors... i would hate to have to deal with CARB everytime i wanted to buy something.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:32 PM
mash2k
2nd Gear Member

They do the same thing here in NE Ohio. Do your headers have an O2 sensor hookup?

I may go for it anyway by getting LT's and a catted X-pipe. They do not look for headers here in Ohio. They do for sure in Cali and Alaska, two places I have lived previously.

The stock exhaust on these cars flow very well and I see LT's as the only "real" bang for buck mod unless the exhaust sound is what you are trying to improve. If I go LT's and catted x I will not change the cat back at all.

I am going to do a suspension also. Just not sure which yet.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:30 PM
tradetheoex
1st Gear Member

Here's the JBA numbers.
http://www.jbaheaders.com/images/dyno/05mustangdyno.jpg

Old 12-26-2005, 06:31 PM
tradetheoex
1st Gear Member

oops. Thump_RRR already posted this.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:33 PM
tradetheoex
1st Gear Member

Still looking for Kooks and Dynatech Horsepower numbers. Anyone have these set ups? Any dyno info?
Old 12-26-2005, 07:27 PM
Twister086
2nd Gear Member

the reason longtube headers arent emission legal and probably wont ever be for our mustang is the fact our car doesnt have an air pump, and in stock form isnt doesnt need one because of how close the cats are to the combustion chamber. but when you install long tube headers the closest you can install a cat is around the transmount which by gov. standards isnt close enough to the combustion chamber to not have an air pump... the air pump pumps air into the exhuast stream to help the cat work quicker by getting hot quicker. thats why if its close enough to the combustion chamber the extra heat eliminates that air pumps purpose. the egr side of emissions is done by the VCT system just as spyder said...
Old 12-26-2005, 09:49 PM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

mash,
they do indeed have all the bungs welded in for all four o2 sensors. they come with extentions for the lower sensors which just plug in to your harness and then to the sensor. if you go with hookers get them coated if not you may regret having to pull them off in a year to repaint. also check to see the parts are all in the box before starting. it's a good thing i did b/c they didn't include the o2 ext.'s had to wait for 2weeks for them to make me some. i agree the l/t seem to be the best bang for your buck on the exhaust. it does make a noticable difference. can't wait for some dyno time to see where i'm at now.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:10 AM
mash2k
2nd Gear Member

I have the TPIS LT's on the vette and they were done by Jet Hot Coating. They still look brand new.

I will probably do hookers. One thing I have learned from experience. Better to get what you want uncoated and then send them to Jet Hot. Or, you can usually get them (Hooker Lt's) direct from Jet Hot already coated. The ceramic quality is far superior and they last longer.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:18 AM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

yeah i know what you mean. hooker didn't have these ready so they had to make me a set them sendthem to HPC i think or maybe it was jet-hot and coat them. the coating work is really good. they look as good as the ones on my roadster. those headers were 4-5years old and looked as good as the day i got them back from jet-hot. that coating is awesome. it reduces underhood heat, makes a few hp and keeps the things from rusting forever. i'll never use any header that's not coated ever again.

Quick Reply: Long tube header HP comparison